• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Explorer Collection

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anybody booked an Explorer Collection trip using DC points? I see resorts in interesting places such as Curacao, Cancun, San Diego, etc.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have used DC points to book nights at the JW Marriott in Cancun. It is not a good use of points. I had some extra ones and needed an extra night before I moved into my timeshare at the Royal Sands.

Sheesh

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have used DC Points for two Collette Tours in the Explorer Collection. One to Italy and one on a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. We enjoyed both very much.

We also did a golf trip to Scottsdale, AZ using D C Points from Explorer Collection. It was a great trip as well.

All trips used a high number of points but we had them to use.

Next year is two weeks on Maui but that is not Explorer Collection - just an internal trade wirh DC Points.

Last edited:

jeff76543

TUG Member
Reaction score
Several years ago we used points for a Collette Tour to China and Tibet that was offered in the Explorer Collection. We greatly enjoyed this small group tour and, in this particular case, did not feel that it was too many points (although in the case of many of the tours it certainly is possible to get a better deal with cash). Several months ago we also stayed in an hotel in Granada, Spain that was listed in the Explorer Collection. The hotel was magnificent and I chose to use points after comparing the cash price of the hotel with the cost to me using Destination Club points. In this case it was actually a better value using DC points than paying cash. I think that this is rarely the case with U.S. hotels in the Explorer Collection, but at least in the case of the few European Hotels in the Explorer Collection the use of points is sometimes more cost effective.

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
Leaving tomorrow for a 7 day Princess cruise using DC points...as mentioned, not the bet use of them but but better than the alternative of letting them expire or going through the hassle of renting expiring points. Point value (~$.40) is about the same as can be used for airfare.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
We booked a 7-day Alaskan cruise for June 2016 using points. We wanted a balcony cabin, and it was more economical to use points (from a 3BR MGV unit, plus renting the remainder of what we needed), than paying for the cruise outright. That even took into consideration possibly renting out the 3BR, estimating what I thought I MIGHT get for the week.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We booked a 7-day Alaskan cruise for June 2016 using points. We wanted a balcony cabin, and it was more economical to use points (from a 3BR MGV unit, plus renting the remainder of what we needed), than paying for the cruise outright. That even took into consideration possibly renting out the 3BR, estimating what I thought I MIGHT get for the week.

That's interesting. I guess no matter what the norm is it pays to keep an open mind and comparison shop.

SDMiller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cruises

We used DC points for a 2 week cruise to the Med (Greek islands, Croatia, Venice, Turkey) on the NCL Jade in May this year. It was a very good use of points and a wonderful cruise.

Also last year a suite on Holland America - 11days - to the Panama Canal.

If you know what you want start shopping for cruises 16 months out, now looking for a Caribbean cruise for March or April 2017.

SD

robertsd

Reaction score
Purchase Airfare using Vacation Club Points

Has anybody tried purchasing international airfare using Vacation Club Points?

jxhoang

TUG Member
Reaction score
47 Park Land - London

I saw 47 Park Street - Grand Residence by Marriott® as being "available" under the Explorer Collection. I called Member Services to inquire and was told that I have to be at least an Executive level before I can book.

Has anyone (with only an owner status) been able to book this? Why do they bother to list it as an option if I cannot book? The rep told me it was for marketing and then asked if I would be interested in buying more VCpoints. I read the hand book and didn't really come across the rules, can someone tell me where is it listed on either their website or the handbook?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw 47 Park Street - Grand Residence by Marriott® as being "available" under the Explorer Collection. I called Member Services to inquire and was told that I have to be at least an Executive level before I can book.

Has anyone (with only an owner status) been able to book this? Why do they bother to list it as an option if I cannot book? The rep told me it was for marketing and then asked if I would be interested in buying more VCpoints. I read the hand book and didn't really come across the rules, can someone tell me where is it listed on either their website or the handbook?
I haven't tried to book 47 Park Street, but I guess this falls into a similar category to the Ritz Carlton hotel stays which are dependent on Ownership level.
However, I have looked at the points requirement and it is high, between 1200 and 3150 points per night.

Forgive the auto formatting from my cut & paste of the Rates table below
Dates Cost per Night
(Vacation Club Points)
One Bedroom Executive
One Bedroom Premium
One Bedroom Deluxe
Two Bedroom Premium
Two Bedroom Deluxe

January 2, 2016 – May 22, 2016 1,200 1,400 1,725 1,950 2,200
May 23, 2016 - September 11, 2016 1,675 1,975 2,400 2,800 3,150
September 12, 2016 - January 1, 2017 1,250 1,450 1,825 2,050 2,300
Blackout Dates: n/a

PACKAGE DATES AND AVAILABILITY ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
BASED ON DOUBLE OCCUPANCY

Call 888.682.4862 to Reserve this experience

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
Yes, I was just told at an Orlando presentation that there are now over 2000 Villas of distinction options being added for executive and chairman club level owner booking.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who did cruise, what are the extra fees on top of the points?

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just used DC points for a cruise for August,2017. It is a Celebrity cruise from Amsterdam through the Baltic going to Scandanavia and St. Petersburg. The cost if I booked it on my own would have been about $9000 without airfare. I used 13,000 points and I still had a $4000 cost. I upgraded to the Aqua Class. I then had a $995 cost for insurance and we haven't booked excursions yet.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just used DC points for a cruise for August,2017. It is a Celebrity cruise from Amsterdam through the Baltic going to Scandanavia and St. Petersburg. The cost if I booked it on my own would have been about $9000 without airfare. I used 13,000 points and I still had a $4000 cost. I upgraded to the Aqua Class. I then had a $995 cost for insurance and we haven't booked excursions yet.

Was the $9000 before upgrade. So 13000 took $5000 off?