• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchanging through RCI for RCI disney exchange

jmann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World
Just returned from Las Palmeras...not my favorite. We would like to be able to exchange hgvc through rci for a disney stay. The marketer indicated there was a new way for hilton users to book thru RCI. Does anyone have specifics on this? We did not go to an owners update. Last year we did an ongoing search through RCI for disney and no properties ever came available. I am also aware we should only request 1 bedrooms. Thanks for your help.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Just returned from Las Palmeras...not my favorite. We would like to be able to exchange hgvc through rci for a disney stay. The marketer indicated there was a new way for hilton users to book thru RCI. Does anyone have specifics on this? We did not go to an owners update. Last year we did an ongoing search through RCI for disney and no properties ever came available. I am also aware we should only request 1 bedrooms. Thanks for your help.

The only Disney units available recently have been 1 bedrooms at Saratoga Springs. There is another way to search and someone more knowledgeable would be able to help you with that.

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
The following is available on the HGVC portal as we speak:

1 bedroom for 7 nights at Disney's Saratoga Springs
May 26, 2 units
June 14, 2 units
June 30
July 21, 2 units
August 18, 2 units

If these dates don't work for you, put in an ongoing search for a 1 bedroom unit for all of the Disney Orlando resorts. You'll get something.

I'm not aware of any new way to book or get special access to RCI.

jmann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World
The following is available on the HGVC portal as we speak:

1 bedroom for 7 nights at Disney's Saratoga Springs
May 26, 2 units
June 14, 2 units
June 30
July 21, 2 units
August 18, 2 units

If these dates don't work for you, put in an ongoing search for a 1 bedroom unit for all of the Disney Orlando resorts. You'll get something.

I'm not aware of any new way to book or get special access to RCI.
We don't see these...can't see anything Disney for the rest of the year. Wanted to go in Fall. Are you putting the resort # in for the search? Thanks.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm just searching by location. It might be an interesting exercise to call HGVC and find out if they can see these units.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
This is what I see right now. There are two may 26 and Aug 18 checkin dates.
441abae4bfa56b272a0167f48e12c692.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

cas42021

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe it needs to be a 7nt stay, starting on a Sunday? Is there such a restriction when searching RCI for Disney property?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Maybe it needs to be a 7nt stay, starting on a Sunday? Is there such a restriction when searching RCI for Disney property?
In RCI, there are "weeks" inventory and "points" inventory. If it comes from the "weeks" bucket, it is always a 7 night stay. That is for all inventory, not just Disney.

Kurt

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies

Many of the weeks I see start on Saturday. If you have some flexibility, an OGS search is more likely to match if it is looking for a week starting on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. It is also good to check the RCI site or sightings on TUG regularly. Many weeks are deposited in RCI as points, which an OGS will not find.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Just search by location or resort code. Don’t add any other filters.
The bulk of Disney deposits are for 7 nights in a one bedroom at Saratoga Springs (RCI CODE: DV06). The 3 and 4 night RCI resort codes are rarely seen.

HGVC members have access to both RCI POINTS and RCI WEEKS.
An ongoing search request will only searches through RCI WEEKS inventory. You have to search manually for Disney deposits in RCI POINTS inventory.
NOTE: Availability changes frequently. It’s a high demand resort so weeks are snatch immediately.

There’s a Disney sticky thread and Disney sighting threads posted on the TUG SIGHTINGS forum (link).

RCI LOCATION SEARCH: Select USA / Florida- Orlando Area then “Walt Disney World” will appear if deposits are available (see right hand column in pic)

B8DC4C92-F9B6-4C3B-A4A9-D468E479885A.jpeg

RCI RESORT ID SEARCH: Just type in the RCI Code and click “GO” (see code at the bottom of the photo below). My personal preference is to search by location just in case Disney deposits something other than Saratoga

F192EA84-4BC8-4F53-9B58-C3BA720B4AC4.jpeg

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
In RCI, there are "weeks" inventory and "points" inventory. If it comes from the "weeks" bucket, it is always a 7 night stay. That is for all inventory, not just Disney.

True. However, I have never seen a Disney Orlando property in points on RCI that was not also for a 7 night stay. And in an RCI (nonHGVC portal) account a points week cost fewer points than something in weeks inventory.

jmann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World
This is what I see right now. There are two may 26 and Aug 18 checkin dates.
441abae4bfa56b272a0167f48e12c692.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks so much to all. We have these resorts in our favorites but haven't gotten anything from that so we will definitely start searching this way. I guess I need to do some research on points vs week stays as I'm unfamiliar with the distinction. We would typically stay 1 week.

cas42021

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont know if I may have missed it, but how many points does a 1BR at SSR go for a week stay?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I am still in the process of closing my 1st HGVC contract after several years of stalking TUG. I dont have portal access yet so trying to understand the RCI portal exchange as Disney will be something I'd like to do.

I think someone may have mentioned 3400 points? Is that 3400 RCI points or HGVC points?

Thanks!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I dont know if I may have missed it, but how many points does a 1BR at SSR go for a week stay?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I am still in the process of closing my 1st HGVC contract after several years of stalking TUG. I dont have portal access yet so trying to understand the RCI portal exchange as Disney will be something I'd like to do.

I think someone may have mentioned 3400 points? Is that 3400 RCI points or HGVC points?
When going through HGVC, there is no difference between RCI and HGVC points -- you use your HGVC points for all reservations. As yes, a 1BR RCI week in Red season (all Disney weeks are Red) is 3400 points.

Kurt

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess I need to do some research on points vs week stays as I'm unfamiliar with the distinction.

The only difference for an HGVC owner is that you can run an ongoing search for an RCI Weeks unit, but not an RCI Points unit. So if an RCI resort specifies that it only has points, then an ongoing search is useless. The only way to catch an RCI points resort is to get online frequently.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is that 3400 RCI points or HGVC points?

Its kind of hard to explain, but as an HGVC owner you don't have to be concerned about the quantity of RCI Points that you might see posted here on TUG. Let's say someone posts a "sighting" that requires X number of RCI points. If it is a one bedroom unit, the most you will ever spend is 3400 HGVC points.

Once in a while there are units available for fewer HGVC points, but not often. I have gotten 1 bedroom units a couple times for around 2000 HGVC points in the off-season at a highly-seasonal resort.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

As stated above a one bedroom in Red season is 3400 points. Here’s some additional details.

Number of ClubPoints Required for RCI exchanges

13043211824_86f95c533a_b.jpg

NOTE: Most areas are Red Season all year round (such as Hawaii, Florida, Nevada) while other areas support multiple seasons (such as Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Montana, Tennessee)

Below is an example of a resort that has three seasons.
The seasons are listed under the Resort Details tab (see 1st photo). The points required will be based on the season booked. In the example below, I selected a three bedroom during White Season to show that it would require 2900 points as stated in the table above (see 2nd photo below).

C109CD2F-78EA-467C-9315-53B5FC47F62E.png

8B341A84-F720-41E1-8BCF-6CE1111A667B.jpeg

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks so much to all. We have these resorts in our favorites but haven't gotten anything from that so we will definitely start searching this way. I guess I need to do some research on points vs week stays as I'm unfamiliar with the distinction. We would typically stay 1 week

Basically RCI offers two programs - RCI WEEKS and RCI POINTS.
RCI resorts participate in either one or both programs.

RCI WEEKS program offers week long stays.
RCI POINTS program offers nightly stays up to 21 consecutive nights (plus some resorts offer week long stays under RCI POINTS like Disney).

For more details about RCI, see quotes I attached below.

Just in case you don’t know, some RCI Resorts have additional fees.
Disney is one of them. HGVC point + RCI Exchange Fee + Disney’s Mandatory Fee
All fees are listed in RCI under the “Fees” tab (see photo below).

D3B3551C-1DF6-44CA-9A45-93608AE92D87.jpeg

Here's what I wrote for the TUG Advice page. This will provide a brief overview.
RCI offers two exchange programs – RCI Weeks and RCI Points. Resorts affiliated with RCI can participate in RCI Weeks or RCI Points or both. HGVC members have access to both exchange programs.

RCI Directory of Resorts – http://www.rci.com/resort-directory/landing

For RCI Weeks inventory
o Weeks can be booked as early as two years in advance and as late as two (2) days prior to check-in (however actual week availability varies by resort).
o It's best to place an ongoing search request as early as possible to get in the queue. What’s normally seen online are the leftovers after all ongoing requests have been satisfied.

For RCI Points inventory
o Weeks and/or nights can be available as early as 10 months in advance and as late as the day of check-in (however actual availability varies by resort).
o RCI Points does not support ongoing search requests. It requires a manual search. Based on the resort, availability can change constantly.
o To increase your odds of getting your desired travel dates it is best to start searching online as soon as the 10 month window begins (especially for peak travel dates)

RCI membership is included in the HGVC Club Dues. HGVC members use ClubPoints for RCI exchanges. HGVC has a set exchange rate for RCI exchanges (see table below). HGVC deducts ClubPoints from member’s account upon confirmation. Deposits are not required. Simply make the reservation or place an ongoing search request.
NOTE: HGVC members have access to RCI through the HGVC member website (not directly via an individual RCI account). As a result, standard RCI currencies normally associated with individual RCI accounts such as RCI Points or TPU values do not apply to HGVC members.

Number of ClubPoints Required for RCI exchanges

13043211824_86f95c533a_b.jpg
NOTE: Some areas are Red Season only year round (such as Hawaii, Florida, Nevada) while other areas support all three seasons (such as the Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Montana, Tennessee)

For example
RCI Resort: Vacation Club II (RCI Code #5424) in northern Michigan has the following RCI Seasons
BLUE - Mar 15, 2014 thru Apr 26, 2014
BLUE - Nov 01, 2014 thru Dec 13, 2014
RED - Jan 04, 2014 thru Mar 15, 2014
RED - May 31, 2014 thru Oct 25, 2014
RED - Dec 13, 2014 thru Dec 31, 2014
WHITE - Apr 26, 2014 thru May 31, 2014
WHITE - Oct 25, 2014 thru Nov 01, 2014

Cancellation Policy:
Cancellation of a RCI reservation will result in forfeiture of the Reservation Fee.
In addition, cancellation made with the timeframes listed below will results in the loss of ClubPoints used to confirm the reservation:
 30 to 15 days in advance of the check-in date will result in the loss of 25% of the ClubPoints.
 14 to 6 days in advance of the check-in date will result in the loss of 50% of the ClubPoints
 5 days or less in advance of the check-in date will result in the loss of 100% of the ClubPoints

ClubPoints from a current or future use year will be returned to the Club Member’s HGVC account.
ClubPoints from previous use years may be deposited to RCI for a fee.

Here are some reasons why you may not see availability in RCI:
(1) HGVC has a quality filter in place so we don't see all available inventory in RCI
(2) Availability is based on deposits and all weeks are not deposited. Availability is constantly changing. If no weeks are available at the moment then the resort is not displayed in your search results
(3) What you see online from the RCI Weeks inventory are the leftovers after all ongoing searches have been satisfied.
As a TUG Member, you have access to the TUG Sightings Forum where members post sighted availability at high demand/popular resorts and/or locations. http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/sightings-distressed.3/

The TUG Sightings forum will give you some ideal on what is possible with the exchange companies. If you can travel anytime during the year, there is some good availability. The key is flexibility. ;)

Booking a timeshare is not like booking a hotel where there's lots of availability. Instead of determining where and when you want to go (like a hotel reservation), with timesharing sometimes your choices for when/where may be driven by whatever is available. The TUG Sighting Forum is great for that.​

TUG Members also have access to the TUG Resort Database where you can view Resort Rankings and Reivews.

Ongoing searches only applies to RCI WEEKS Inventory. If you want to get the jump on inventory as soon as it becomes available it's in your best interest to create an ongoing search.

Keep in mind, for RCI POINTS Inventory you have to search online and exchange availability changes daily. Sometimes units are gone within minutes, hours, days and/or weeks after becoming available online. It varies based on resort/location demand, number of units available and travel dates available.

Here's what I wrote in another thread
In order to get a great trade with any timeshare exchange company you need to understand how it works. Some folks start their request too late and/or have unrealistic expectations that anytime they want to travel a week will be available. Once you understand how exchanging works, you'll be better prepared.

It is important to understand that exchangers only have access to what is deposited and not all weeks are deposited. The number of deposits by each resort varies. You will have no idea how many weeks are actually deposited in RCI (for example it could be 1, 10, 30, 60 or 100s), what time of year they make deposits, which weeks do they deposit (Winter, Spring, Fall or Summer week) and where are you in the exchange queue (there could be several folks already ahead of you requesting the same location with equal trading power).

Some destinations will be harder to exchange into than others. It depends on supply and demand. There will be lots of competition for high demand resorts/location during the peak travel seasons. There will be lots of exchange competition at destinations were most folks want to visit (beach areas in the summer, major city, ski resorts during ski season, national park areas, etc). One should expect high owner occupancy during this time which generally means less exchange deposits (NOTE: Some timeshares owners would rather rent their high demand week than deposit it with an exchange company).

With exchange requests, it's best to be as flexible as possible on your requested unit size (there is more competition for larger unit sizes) and travel dates (like any time during the year) and even then you may not snag a week at your requested resort.

With RCI, it's wise to always research the properties that are listed in the RCI Directory to make sure it meets your vacation needs in terms of location, quality, amenities, etc. Depending on the RCI choices, you may decide to visit this location via some other means (hotel/resort stay, etc).

You can sometimes find reviews on RCI, Tripadvisor, Yelp, various travel related sites and from other fellow TUG members by searching the forums or by accessing the TUG Resort Database.

Keep in mind that RCI trading is not cheap. In addition to your annual maintenance fee, you'll have to pay an RCI exchange fee (currently $239 for a one week stay) and sometimes a resort/housekeeping fee. These fees will continue to rise.
For example, currently a Disney World trade it's an additional $429 dollars ($239 RCI exchange fee + $190 Disney Resort Fee).
I found this very good RCI Tutorial for WorldMark Owners - http://pgs.rci.com/landing/WorldMar...l?promo=Rules5S3en_USCLUBDCMP10001958-PARTNER
Even though the tutorial refers specifically to the WorldMark portal. The portals are very similar and would be helpful to HGVC members learning to use RCI. The very first section talks about accessing the RCI website from the WorldMark member site (you can skip that section and move onto to "Search by Map")

Jennifer Pitt

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fiesta Americana
Just search by location or resort code. Don’t add any other filters.
The bulk of Disney deposits are for 7 nights in a one bedroom at Saratoga Springs (RCI CODE: DV06). The 3 and 4 night RCI resort codes are rarely seen.

HGVC members have access to both RCI POINTS and RCI WEEKS.
An ongoing search request will only searches through RCI WEEKS inventory. You have to search manually for Disney deposits in RCI POINTS inventory.
NOTE: Availability changes frequently. It’s a high demand resort so weeks are snatch immediately.

There’s a Disney sticky thread and Disney sighting threads posted on the TUG SIGHTINGS forum (link).

RCI LOCATION SEARCH: Select USA / Florida- Orlando Area then “Walt Disney World” will appear if deposits are available (see right hand column in pic)

RCI RESORT ID SEARCH: Just type in the RCI Code and click “GO” (see code at the bottom of the photo below). My personal preference is to search by location just in case Disney deposits something other than Saratoga
How do you book once you see points on the sightings if RCI only show weeks?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Ongoing Search only looks at WEEKS, Manual Search looks at both.

One way to see POINTS only is to set LENGTH of stay to 1-6 days.

3a80b81b84d9d81bbf842f600444b0db.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

As SmithOp stated above inventory from both are shown online for HGVC members if it’s still available. See Frank808’s photo (under Post #6) which shows either RCI WEEKS and RCI POINTS in the right column for each available week.

NOTE: Disney’s inventory generally doesn’t sit online for long due to overwhelming demand. Availability will change frequently.

The option that SmithOp shows above, to see POINTS only inventory by setting the length of stay to 1-6 days, will only work for RCI POINTS resorts that support nightly stays. As stated earlier in this thread, the majority of Disney’s POINTS deposits are for seven night stays as shown in Frank808’s photo (under Post #6).

Disney doesn’t support nightly stays. They have specific RCI CODES for three and four night stays that are rarely seen.