• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchanging into WSJ & Harborside?

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question, even though this is off this particular topic....

How tough is it to get into St John or Harborside w/in the 90 day period....does it tend to open up? When is it easiest to go to either of the two??

[Since this is a different topic, I'm going to start a new thread for you - DeniseM]

Last edited by a moderator:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both are tough resorts to trade in. The easiest time to trade in, is the peak of Hurricane Season, September. That would be for both resorts.

You would have a better chance of exchanging into either resort at two weeks out, then you would at 90 days.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I honestly don't know. But there's an owner in another thread who's trying to figure out what to do with her week 35. If that'll work for you, I'd PM her and try to work out a deal.

If that won't work, then I'd put Owner Services in my speed dial and call every morning at 9am EST/EDT to see if anything opens up. You never know.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If I wanted to go to Harborside or WSJ I would do a "money exchange." :D

I would exchange my Hawaii timeshare for someone's money, and then exchange the money for the exact week and unit I wanted from an owner at Harborside or WSJ.

This way you don't have to worry about what kind of unit you will get, and you won't have to make a zillion 6 a.m. calls to Starwood trying for a difficult exchange.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Gee... I do not know what to do with my WSJ week 24 in 2009 either...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Gee... I do not know what to do with my WSJ week 24 in 2009 either...

David - come over here and bend over right now! You get 10 whacks with the TUG paddle! :hysterical:

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to go to Harborside or WSJ I would do a "money exchange." :D

I would exchange my Hawaii timeshare for someone's money, and then exchange the money for the exact week and unit I wanted from an owner at Harborside or WSJ.

This way you don't have to worry about what kind of unit you will get, and you won't have to make a zillion 6 a.m. calls to Starwood trying for a difficult exchange.

I'm confused....how does this work exactly? Do you mean, you'd rent out your timeshare, and take that money and rent their unit? We, most likely, won't be going to WSJ or Harborside for a few years. For our first big trip, we will be going to Lagunamar next summer (hopefully)!

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't know. But there's an owner in another thread who's trying to figure out what to do with her week 35. If that'll work for you, I'd PM her and try to work out a deal.

If that won't work, then I'd put Owner Services in my speed dial and call every morning at 9am EST/EDT to see if anything opens up. You never know.

Can you make "friends" w/other tuggers and potentially trade w/them directly? Or, can you post somewhere that you are looking to stay at WSJ or Harborside and try and find someone who will trade via an add??

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can you make "friends" w/other tuggers and potentially trade w/them directly? Or, can you post somewhere that you are looking to stay at WSJ or Harborside and try and find someone who will trade via an add??

No type of advertising or soliciting is allowed in the forums (DAVID) but you can post a free Ad on the TUG Timeshare Marketplace which is linked at the top of most pages.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm confused....how does this work exactly? Do you mean, you'd rent out your timeshare, and take that money and rent their unit? We, most likely, won't be going to WSJ or Harborside for a few years. For our first big trip, we will be going to Lagunamar next summer (hopefully)!

Sheri I was trying to be funny - apparently I failed! :D

Yes - I would rent my Maui week for $3,500 and use the money to rent exactly what I wanted from another owner at WSJ or Harborside.

BTW - Because of the perceived difference in value of a Harborside week or WSJ week, compared to Cancun, I think that it's very unlikely that you could make a private exchange. I don't think WSJ or Harborside owers would see it as an equal trade. Mexico in general is an easy exchange through the exchange companies and a cheap place to rent. Harborside and WSJ are much harder to exchange into and go for big bucks on the rental maket, so I don't see an owner wanting to exchange for Mexico.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You can post in the Timeshare Marketplace, but how would a Tugger with a particular unit-type that is interested in a very specific (and hard-to-find) exchange know to look if you cannot inform them about it???

Any ideas?

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sheri I was trying to be funny - apparently I failed! :D

Oops! I guess it went over my head!!!:eek:

Yes - I would rent my Maui week for $3,500 and use the money to rent exactly what I wanted from another owner at WSJ or Harborside.

BTW - Because of the perceived difference in value of a Harborside week or WSJ week, compared to Cancun, I think that it's very unlikely that you could make a private exchange. I don't think WSJ or Harborside owers would see it as an equal trade. Mexico in general is an easy exchange through the exchange companies and a cheap place to rent. Harborside and WSJ are much harder to exchange into and go for big bucks on the rental maket, so I don't see an owner wanting to exchange for Mexico.

Bummer for us.....I would think someone would want to stay at Lagunamar, especially since it's new! Would it be possible to change options into points and use points to stay at the hotel part of Atlantis? Is that a Starwood property? I know you wouldn't get as much bang for your buck, but at least it's a way in....again, we won't be going to Harborside for at least 3 years. Our son is only 3, and we went him to be able to enjoy the waterpark! My husband and I stayed at Atlantis back in 2001 and had a blast staying at the hotel!

We usually go away mid July, right around what would be week 28. So what you're saying is, when we're ready to go to WSJ or Harborside, we'd have to start calling at 9 am East Coast Time, (6 am my time...yikes) every single day? Do they put you on a wait list? Can you at least book somewhere else, such as your home resort, then change your reso? It sounds like a pain in the butt!!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Would it be possible to change options into points and use points to stay at the hotel part of Atlantis? Is that a Starwood property?

I'm almost positive that it is not. It doesn't come up on a search at SPG.com either.

We usually go away mid July, right around what would be week 28. So what you're saying is, when we're ready to go to WSJ or Harborside, we'd have to start calling at 9 am East Coast Time, (6 am my time...yikes) every single day?

Right now, that's the only effective way to try for a difficult exchange.

Do they put you on a wait list? Can you at least book somewhere else, such as your home resort, then change your reso?

If you are on a wait list, you can't have a reservation at your home resort. So I'd reserve the same week at my home resort, and then call every day. that way if you don't get the exchange, you can still go to your home resort the same week.

It sounds like a pain in the butt!!!

Yep! :D

Last edited:

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right now, that's the only effective way to try for a difficult exchange.

If you are on a wait list, you can't have a reservation at your home resort. So I'd reserve the same week at my home resort, and then call every day. that way if you don't get the exchange, you can still go to your home resort the same week.

Yep! :D

But....do you love it? Do you enjoy the challenge? I have a feeling I will! I'm already addicted to the message board!

BTW...a scenario...we want to last minute, meaning 2 weeks or a month out go to Palm Springs for a few days. Is it tough to get into Mission Hills? We will be doing this randomly, since we live close. Also, have you heard about the new resort they are building in Palm Desert...Desert Willow???

Thanks, Denise! You are SO informative!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But....do you love it? Do you enjoy the challenge? I have a feeling I will! I'm already addicted to the message board!

Actually....I hate exchanging! :D It can be very frustrating. The only time I deposited my Maui week, I did not get the exchange I wanted and I essentially lost the week, so I will never deposit it again. Since then we've bought more weeks, when and where we want to go. I have two very cheap weeks that I do exchange, but they don't have much value so I don't worry about losing them. So far I have always been able to "exchange up" with them, but it's hard to get an equal or better exchange when the week you are depositing is a very expensive week to start with.

BTW...a scenario...we want to last minute, meaning 2 weeks or a month out go to Palm Springs for a few days. Is it tough to get into Mission Hills?

I don't think so, but I would not use my Cancun week for weekend stays. Instead get a Starwood AMEX card and use it for everything (and pay it off every month.) You can use those free points for weekend jaunts and save your timeshare week for vacations.

Also, have you heard about the new resort they are building in Palm Desert...Desert Willow???

Thanks, Denise! You are SO informative!

There has been a little talk about it on the boards - many of us wonder why we need another Starwood property in that area. You can search the boards for Desert Willow using the search function for more info.

You are MOST welcome! :hi:

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Again, we won't be going to Harborside for at least 3 years. Our son is only 3, and we went him to be able to enjoy the waterpark! My husband and I stayed at Atlantis back in 2001 and had a blast staying at the hotel!

Then I'd start worrying about getting in in about 2 years and 3 months when the 8 month SVN trade window opens up.

sherilah said:
We usually go away mid July, right around what would be week 28. So what you're saying is, when we're ready to go to WSJ or Harborside, we'd have to start calling at 9 am East Coast Time, (6 am my time...yikes) every single day? Do they put you on a wait list? Can you at least book somewhere else, such as your home resort, then change your reso? It sounds like a pain in the butt!!!

You start calling 8 months out. So if you want to reserve July 11th, call on November 11th the year prior. Ask to be put on the waiting list if you want, but you can't hold a reservation in Cancun AND be put on a waiting list unless you're an elite owner. So your best bet is to have a standing reservation in Cancun and then call every day. Don't forget about alternative check-in days (e.g. Friday or Sunday) which may be easier to snag.

If you can go in June or August, you might have better luck. Or, you can try to find another owner, say one who has a week 24 available somewhere, and work out a private deal. Then rent out your Cancun week and use the proceeds to offset the cost.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago on a Wednesday in January I decided to go to Maui the following Sunday. I called up and the unit I wanted was available. I think WMH is easier to get into. So, short notice works as long as you're not trying for a major holiday or another popular time at the destination resort.

It sounds like you're getting pretty addicted :D. Once you get to at least 4 Star Elite, you will be able to waitlist at other resorts while holding a prior reservation. That way you don't have to call every day at 9:00 EST.

I really like WMH and will go to Desert Willow when available. I actually was going to buy at a resort that was supposed to be very near WMH. I left a deposit, but then there were some issues with the city and they couldn't build as planned and didn't know when they would be able to do anything. As a return for our trouble some people with deposits were then offered WKORV-N at about reasale price but direct from the developer! I'm glad the situation turned out the way it did. I didn't know much about mandatory vs. voluntary then and I go to Hawaii more than to Palm Springs.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
BTW...a scenario...we want to last minute, meaning 2 weeks or a month out go to Palm Springs for a few days. Is it tough to get into Mission Hills? We will be doing this randomly, since we live close.

Mission Hills is usually available through I.I. Getaways during non-prime season (i.e. you can get it from mid-April to mid-December). It will cost $300-$500 for the entire week, and you don't have to trade in your own TS.

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anythings possible and with the price of airfares this year you may see some openings /movement within SVN. Some people are posting some really good II exchanges that are not the norm.Get on a waitlist for the week you want and hope for the best .

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually....I hate exchanging! :D It can be very frustrating. The only time I deposited my Maui week, I did not get the exchange I wanted and I essentially lost the week, so I will never deposit it again. Since then we've bought more weeks, when and where we want to go. I have two very cheap weeks that I do exchange, but they don't have much value so I don't worry about losing them. So far I have always been able to "exchange up" with them, but it's hard to get an equal or better exchange when the week you are depositing is a very expensive week to start with.

I don't think so, but I would not use my Cancun week for weekend stays. Instead get a Starwood AMEX card and use it for everything (and pay it off every month.) You can use those free points for weekend jaunts and save your timeshare week for vacations.

There has been a little talk about it on the boards - many of us wonder why we need another Starwood property in that area. You can search the boards for Desert Willow using the search function for more info.

You are MOST welcome! :hi:

So if we use only part of our cancun 2 bedroom lockout...say the one bedroom part, we'd still have the studio side. What is the best way to use the studio side? We were thinking we'd break it up into small getaways here and there....

are you saying you can use Starwood points to stay at the villas? I thought you could only use the points at hotels...

Also, we have that EOY studio that starts in '09. Is it best to deposit that into II or take a week vacation somewhere w/o our child and stay in a studio??

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, you can Make friends and exchange "private messages" with them. You are not allowed to just offer trades/exchanges/rentals "publicly" on the forums....only in the rent/trade ads.

We have made "friends" with other like minded people.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score

Harborside in July is next to impossible to exchange into at the 8 month mark. Its the most requested resort in II and summer time is peak time, since the kids are out of school.

And no you can not use Starpoints to stay at Atlantis, but you can at the Cable Beach Resorts.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So if we use only part of our cancun 2 bedroom lockout...say the one bedroom part, we'd still have the studio side. What is the best way to use the studio side? We were thinking we'd break it up into small getaways here and there....

Have you looked at the Staroption charts?

Starwood StarOPTION Chart (download)​

According to your earlier post, your studio is worth 22,000 Staroptions. Unfortunately, 22,000 Staroptions won't stretch far.

You are within driving distance of WMH - during high season, a 1 bdm. for Fri. and Sat. night at WMH is 26,850 Staroptions - just for 2 nights. So 22,000 Staroptions won't even get you a weekend during high season.

During low season it's 5,175 Staroptions for Fri. and Sat. night and 3,900 for Thurs. & Sun, (18,150 total) so you could go for 4 nights during the off-season. But that's it - one long weekend during the off-season for 22,000 Staroptions. You have to decide if that's a good value for you? Remember your MF is about $563 dollars for the studio. Is a weekend at WMH worth $563?

If it were me, I'd see more value in going to Cancun for 2 weeks, or renting the studio to off-set my MF.

are you saying you can use Starwood points to stay at the villas? I thought you could only use the points at hotels...

Sometimes - check at spg.com for availability

Also, we have that EOY studio that starts in '09. Is it best to deposit that into II or take a week vacation somewhere w/o our child and stay in a studio??

There is no "best" because everyone has their own personal preferences about how to use thier TS and the value of each option. Don't forget to factor in the high cost of airfare. Remember that staying at your home resort is always a sure thing - if you deposit it there are no guarantees on an exchange. And don't forget about renting unused weeks to off-set your cost. We are at the point now - with 6 weeks, that our rentals pay all our MF's, plus.

Last edited: