• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchanging into Newport (NCV) using efficiency?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I am wondering if anyone has had success with an OGS using an efficiency and trying to exchange into Newport Coast, NCV ? :shrug:

In the past, when I have manually searched NCV, I have seen it with a Marriott Desert Springs 2 - one bedroom but never with an efficiency. But I'm wondering if I were to place an OGS, if it is likely to get a match. I'm hoping to go there in the Sept-November timeframe in 2016.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has got a match with their efficiency. If so, I would be interested in which location and what TDI ? :ponder:

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
No help here. Similar to you we traded a DSV1 1BR platinum and got a unit at NCV in late October a few years ago. Never tried it with a studio. It will be interesting to see if anyone has had success with that.

Mike

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Several years back I had an OGS using a studio that never hit. I put up a 1BR and it hit that night. This was for a week in April. We ended up retrading it anyway and never made it to NCV. I would say it would be very tough using a marginal studio. Using perhaps a top tier peak studio would prove better, but I wouldn't hold my breath. II doesn't hold studio units in very high regard in the past couple years.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think an ongoing search gives a slight boost in trading power. I don't think the slight boost is going to be enough. Add to that is that even if it were enough in II's week's system a stronger trader bumps the weaker even if the weaker one had the ongoing search longer and still had been capable of the match. That means that not only would it have been capable of the match, there also could be no one with a 1 br Marriot probably gold season or above requesting the match.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
THIS recent thread might provide you with some hope.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, that was me. I put in an OGS with my DSV 1 studio (red) 12 months ahead in 2014 and got a match a month later into April 2015 NCV. I did that again earlier this year and got a match a couple of months ago into last week of May 2016.

...and if you read the link above, the studio sees some 2br at MKO and got a match to a 2br MKO week that I wanted but could not see online.

Last edited:

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has had success with an OGS using an efficiency and trying to exchange into Newport Coast, NCV ? :shrug:

I'm wondering if anyone out there has got a match with their efficiency. If so, I would be interested in which location and what TDI ? :ponder:

I've got one going now for two weeks at NCV, one with my Marriott Grande Vista 1 bedroom Gold and one with my lock off. I'll let you know what happens.

I've gotten into NCV with my lock off within the 59 day window in the past, not with an on going search, but this was in January or February check-in dates.

gregloucks

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spend the winter at NCV every year. We lock off and use our Canyon Villas studios to get two NCV weeks using an ongoing search. The Canyon Villas weeks are spring training weeks, so very high TDS, and the NCV weeks that we request are always in December or January, low season. Hope it works for you!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Thanks to all of you who commented. I found the information interesting and potentially helpful.

I'm guessing that it might be a real long shot to get a Sept/Oct week using my average TDI DSV white week but perhaps the extra boost that I might get with a Thanksgiving week may help a bit. But I would get a better boost using my red week with a high TDI deposit. So, I will probably try the white week first using an OGS and when available, I'll plan on using a strong red week.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spend the winter at NCV every year. We lock off and use our Canyon Villas studios to get two NCV weeks using an ongoing search. The Canyon Villas weeks are spring training weeks, so very high TDS, and the NCV weeks that we request are always in December or January, low season. Hope it works for you!

Greg how many weeks do you stay at NCV, typically for the winter? Are you able to stay in the same villa?

gregloucks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diane-

We are there 11-12 weeks. We arrive after Thanksgiving weekend and leave in late February. They have always been kind enough to keep us in the same villa for the entire stay. In fact, they usually allow us to have the same unit from year to year. I have found the folks there to be extremely easy to work with and accommodating in this regard.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diane-

We are there 11-12 weeks. We arrive after Thanksgiving weekend and leave in late February. They have always been kind enough to keep us in the same villa for the entire stay. In fact, they usually allow us to have the same unit from year to year. I have found the folks there to be extremely easy to work with and accommodating in this regard.

I haven't stayed more than one week and we'd like to stay two this year. We find them more accommodating than most MVC staffs. Maybe because the resort is very large? And not as coveted in the winter?

We're trying for the first two weeks in February. If we get in, maybe we can meet for a libation around a firepit one evening?

gregloucks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds great. Send me a PM when you get there. Also, watch the II getaways in month or two. There are usually late Jan/early Feb getaways available.

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice thread. Good to read positive reports for one of our favorite resorts. Every September finds us at Newport since it opened. Former Southern CA residents we love staying on the coast and being able to visit north, south, east and not really west, from the locale. Three weeks from today! See you there! :)

gregloucks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diane-

Those getaways just loaded today. Not Interval's best pricing. Maybe they will drop a bit in a while.

Good luck!

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I was able to get NCV for two weeks, using the exchange and request method. I traded a studio and a one bedroom MGV gold and got check in Feb. 6 and 14, 2016. Now you'll see we have a gap day of Feb. 13 where we'll be sleeping in our car! LOL! I hope not. I'm hoping to retrade the Feb. 6 check in for Sunday, Feb. 7. Then we'll have two Sunday to Sunday weeks.

Last edited:

nokaoi9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Sheraton Vistana Villages
I had a hit with an OGS for the week before Memorial Day (2016) with my Ko Olina studio.