• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchanging into Hawaii

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Which is the best exchange company to use if you want to exchange a US mainland timeshare for a week or two in Hawaii? II? RCI? SFX? DAE? HTSE? I am looking for an exchange company that will come through for me far enough in advance of travel dates to book frequent flier awards or reasonably priced airfare from the east coast. High quality accommodations would be welcome, but certainly are not required. We want to go to the Big Island and maybe one other.

Last edited:

MattC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Give HTSE a try!

Judy,
Give HTSE a try.
You will have to join, pay a membership fee (1, 3, or 5 years).
If you exchange with them, they must accept you resort for exhanges and pay an exchange fee.
You can also rent from them with out joining.

I have join and used them for 2 exchanges to Kauai, HI, that I couldn't get thru II.
I have been very happy with their services.

MattC

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can log into HTSE's website as a guest by putting

9999 in the top box
and
htse in the bottom box

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Trading Places is also good for Hawaii exchanges.

regatta333

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland
Judy,
Fairfield resorts frequently does bulk spacebanks of Kona Hawaiian Village through RCI (I believe there are a number of weeks currently available for Sept through Dec of 2007).

We went there in May, 2005 through an RCI exchange and had three 2BD units.

Eve

SherryS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have used HTSE, Trading Places, and Trading Places Maui with success....all early enough to book FF tickets for our flights.

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Judy,

I would think that an independent exchange company that specializes in Hawaii would be good. However, if you have a good week, RCI has many, many weeks available in Hawaii. They key is to time your request with the bulk space-bankings. If you have 1 year out to plan and a pretty good trader, RCI will likely come through. If this is the case for you, you should be able to pull the Pahios and Bay Club 1 year out.

Judy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good suggestion Dani. I found several bulk bankings for the Bay Club on the sightings board, but didn't see any history of Pahios bulk bankings. Did you mean that they usually bank about one year out?

SherryS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out my post of this past week for the Pahio resorts in sightings/distressed!!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
DeniseM said:
You can log into HTSE's website as a guest by putting

9999 in the top box
and
htse in the bottom box
Thanks for the tip!!!

I did this and found a 2-bdrm at Ke Nani Kai for August - the exact week and location we were looking for!!

So I joined HTSE and made the exchange!!! So now I can lock in our travel arrangements as well.

chris1gill

TUG Member
Reaction score
What or who is HTSE?

We used II this morning to trade into a 1 bedroom at the Westin Kaanapali for early December... we were very flexible, so that helped, and it was in time for us to use our frequent flyer awards...

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You own some good weeks that should get you Hawaii exchanges via RCI. Did you see and try for the bulkspacebanking of 2007 weeks at Kona Hawaiian Village Resort? Check online even now, there may still be some weeks left in that banking that was a Sighting just a few weeks ago. Have fun planning! :cool:

Judy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carol C said:
You own some good weeks that should get you Hawaii exchanges via RCI. Did you see and try for the bulkspacebanking of 2007 weeks at Kona Hawaiian Village Resort? Check online even now, there may still be some weeks left in that banking that was a Sighting just a few weeks ago. Have fun planning! :cool:
Thanks for the suggestion. At the moment I don't have anything banked with RCI and my membership expires at the end of June, so I can't search. I'll renew my membership if RCI is the only or the best choice for going to Hawaii. But I have some serious issues with RCI :(

glenn1000

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI has the most options for Hawaii, especially on Kauai, but II has the nicest resorts. You can exchange into the Maui Westin or one of the Marriotts with II if you have strong traders. Our favorite RCI properties are on Kauai (Embassy Poipu) and the Big Island (Bay Club).

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
HTSE takes deposits from BOTH RCI and II properties, as do other independent exchange companies. The independents also have cheaper exchange fees, free or cheaper membership, and often a request first system where you do not have to deposit a week or prepay an exchange fee until they can confirm an exchange for you.

Not only are the independents cheaper to use, by using them you help break the oligopoly strangle hold of the big boys.

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Judy said:
Good suggestion Dani. I found several bulk bankings for the Bay Club on the sightings board, but didn't see any history of Pahios bulk bankings. Did you mean that they usually bank about one year out?

Yes...they usually bank exactly one year out and bank all of a particular month's weeks in one shot. Occasionally you will find a few stray weeks down the road, but you should time your request with the bulk-banking and get have an on-going search in place.