• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchanging back into home resort

cgsm

Reaction score
I have a question about exchanging back into your home resort. We are planning to go to Orlando next Thanksgiving. We own at GV, but we own platinum, and Thanksgiving is not platinum, so we'll have to exchange.

My question is about what to trade to get back to GV. I can book Ocean Pointe through the Florida club which would have higher trade value in general over GV. But, should I book a GV so that I'm trading the same resort? In other words, do I get priority if I'm trading a GV for a GV, or should I book the OP for higher trade value? I think it probably shouldn't be that hard of a trade anyway, but just curious what would be the better trader for this situation.

Thanks! :)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It all depends what week you will be using to trade back in to MGV. Some platinum weeks may have lower trading value than gold Thanksgiving week. The OP week may have a higher trade value, but that is if deposited at 12 months out. Since you can only book OP at 6 months out with the Florida Club, that higher trade value may not be there. I would stick with booking a MGV week and using that to trade back in to the Thanksgiving week you need. There shouldn't be much of a problem. I used a gold week to trade back in to MGV for Thanksgiving in 2007.

Last edited:

hopkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that when trading back into your own resort for the same or lesser season you have priority over any and all other requests (assuming all else equal in terms of timing)

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with dioxide45. There have been too many great trades reported from MGV owners for you to try booking another Florida Club unit.

Look at II's Travel Demand index for MGV and book as good a platinum week as you can for late next summer and then deposit and place your exchange request now. When those Thanksgiving weeks begin being deposited next month, you will be ready and waiting.

I can only imagine that the demand at MGV is very heavy during Thanksgiving, so don't get impatient if the trade doesn't come through right away.

Terry

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
We exchanged into MGV for this coming up Thanksgiving and I had my choices of units at 13 months. I was trying to decide between a few of the Orlando Marriotts and Horizons. There were more than enough to choose from. I don't think you'll have a problem at all. I did not do a pending search and I picked the check-in date I wanted at around 13 months. GL...

cgsm

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I'll probably just book the best week I can at GV and see what we can get for Thanksgiving.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
I don't think you'll have any problem getting back into Grand Vista for Thanksgiving.

In the past we were able to get a Thanksgiving week there using a silver Barony Beach week.