• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Evolution of a Weeks Owner to a DC user

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is in response to recent discussions of whether to join or not. It's just one person's experience.

I've mentioned in other threads we got in to the DC to save fees. From '99 - '10 I had gone from purchaser of 4 developer weeks to finding TUG and getting deep into the world of timesharing the Marriott Way. In the 10 years I learned how to divide and conquer with mega trading, rent my weeks, maximize Marriott Rewards travel packages, build frequent flyer accounts, buy and sell weeks. In short, I was comfortable with what we had and wasn't keen about Marriott messing with my system. But I wasn't in control so we figured we'd go with the flow, reduce fees and increase our possible options.

The skim and the possibility of losing unused DC points kept me away from electing to exchange my legacy weeks for DC points. But you know how life changes. Our adult children were in 2 parts of the world. We were seeing them regularly but it was getting difficult to coordinate all our schedules to be together at the same time. I asked them if they would consider making a real effort to at least have one combined family trip each year. Compromise would mean finding a mutually agreeable spot interesting to everyone for a vacation/family gathering.

This is where the DC came in to play. Right after DD was home for holidays and then DS was home several weeks later, I was reading a thread on the delights of Frenchman's Cove http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162672. I thought it could be a nice place for next year's gathering. Add to that it would suffice as Holiday/New Year/Birthday rendezvous. So far all the family is in agreement. My first thought was to use II for an exchange. But there's the pesky problem of booking flights with frequent flyer miles when you don't have a confirmed reservation. A call to Owner Services and I found I could get 12 nights for the cost of 2 lock-off weeks. That's 12 nights in exchange for what could be maximized up to 28. It was a tough decision but with consideration it was worth it. 14 nights in a 2 bd. for 12 nights in a 2 bd., Caribbean style. Let's just add another week the good old Marriott Rewards way: http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165214

400 remaining points was the problem. I had that fear of unused points so I quickly got them out of the way by selling them. http://members.boardhost.com/MVCDPoints/index.html
DC used. DC done.

Oh, but wait. . .what's this about a New Trick? http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161701 Read thread, goes over head. Let's just file that away for another day.

What's that? Premier Plus Owner's Rate? http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167037 Tell me more. File it away for another day.

How to understand the in's and out's of using my Legacy DC options? I know--I'll kill two bird's with one stone by attending a sales presentation and fishing for details. But the salesguy won't play my game. http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165850 :(

Next I'm in the pool at Ocean Pointe. Talk, talk, talk going around about DC this, DC that. I get in on a conversation where someone tells how they shuffle things around to get a string of 1 bedrooms utilizing DC. This sends me to pen and paper adding, subtracting and concluding, nope not for me.

4 weeks later and I've moved rooms in as many weeks. Ugh! How not to repeat this scenario next year? Let's see. . .if I turn in a 2 bd. oceanside for DC points I can book a 1 bd. oceanfront. One less move. But what about those pesky leftover points? Lakeshore Reserve :D Not enough points :( Oh yeah, there's that Premier Owner's Rate. http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168637.

Now I have a few points leftover again. . .what to do? And I'll be trying out that trick 14 days before arrival at DC reservations. Time to read the legal documents again and time for intense TUG school. Since January it's been dig, dig, dig. http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169021

When we enrolled in the DC the options didn't appeal to me. But I knew enough to never say never.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

Way to go Quilter...

That is some serious puckology!!!!

sorry, I missed you during our one day overlap in palm beach!!!!

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Great Info!

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks for sharing your experiences. It does open a whole host of possibilities. We will be using DC points next year and will start the process at the end of this week. Looking forward to the process and hoping we get what we are looking for.

4Reliefnow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Warning to all TUGGERS.

Quilter has enough Marriott information to spin your head and enough good ideas to make you read again a second and third time. The real danger is any prolonged personal contact with Quilter may result in third degree timeshare addiction. The points program has so many nuances that you have to search TUG every week (DAY?) to try to figure them out.

Example: I have 800 enrollment points (I know I was pretty harsh about enrollment) and really no time available to use them before they expire. Enrollment bonus points cannot be rented and transferred like regular points. But, I read on TUG that you can make a reservation 10 months ahead and put a guest name on the reservation (Sounds like renting)

Then I went to the points board Quilter showed us and posted for rent the total number of points for my bonus points and my enrolled week, explaining that I have to make the reservation and give a guest certificate. If I can just rent the bonus points and some of the regular points, then I can rent the balance of points to those wanting 200-600 to complete a reservation.

Finally, I can book what I think will be a high demand two night stay with points and offer to rent the two nights (with a comment that I have points which give me flexibility for dates and locations) I booked two nights and posted to TUG under "Other" Posted the points on TUG also.

I would be happy to see other permutations of point rental posted so others can learn. Disappointed in Marriott that they refuse to make it easy like letting a 2br oceanview owner pay with points to upgrade. Or a lockoff owner keep the 1BR and take points for just the studio. I think 10% of week owners would enroll just for that option: occupy the 1br and get points for the studio. Thousands of studios are sleeping alone and empty in Marriott land tonight. Marriott process is to take the points for the 2br (87% of rental cost) and then pay retail for the 1br. The skim is bigger this way than if they would just skim on the studio value.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Warning to all TUGGERS.

Quilter has enough Marriott information to spin your head and enough good ideas to make you read again a second and third time. The real danger is any prolonged personal contact with Quilter may result in third degree timeshare addiction. The points program has so many nuances that you have to search TUG every week (DAY?) to try to figure them out.

You make me blush. All I've done is pay it forward. From 2000 I have gleaned, picked, begged and pestered the generous folks on TUG trying understand how to maximize our Marriott ownership.

Thanks to everyone who keeps the information flowing.