• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Email from Starwood

toddvb20

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received an email from Starwood to"Starwood Preferred Guest" offering a 6 day 5 night stay at WKORV and 5000 starpoints or a $75 gift certificate plus $185 Avis certificate for $800. Does this sound legit/good deal? The thing I'm confused about is how they got the email address. When we were at Sheraton Kauai we signed up for the Starwood Preferred guest program but used a different email address.

Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Sometimes they put you up in a small standard room at the Westin Maui Resort and Spa - which is the Westin Hotel - so that's something to check on.

Sometimes, they give you a studio at WKORV.

There's nothing wrong with the hotel, but you will get a small, parking lot view room, and it's not at WKORV.

pathways25

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received an email from Starwood to"Starwood Preferred Guest" offering a 6 day 5 night stay at WKORV and 5000 starpoints or a $75 gift certificate plus $185 Avis certificate for $800. Does this sound legit/good deal? The thing I'm confused about is how they got the email address. When we were at Sheraton Kauai we signed up for the Starwood Preferred guest program but used a different email address.

Thanks!

That is a standard deal that Starwood uses to entice people to attend a timeshare sales presentation. I've gone on one of those before and it's an awesome deal! With some variations of the deal, attending the sales presentation is mandatory, with others, it isn't. I think you'll get a pretty good room unless the resort is very full. They want you in the mood to buy when you attend the presentation...

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

Got that invite via mail. Said IV studio. :hysterical:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Got that invite via mail. Said IV studio. :hysterical: "

OK, OK! I get it. The room won't have a view of the ocean. But, how laughably bad can this deal be? Roll on the floor laughingly bad?

$90 in Starpoints (3,000 x $0.03) or a gift certificate for $75. A $185 certificate for the rental car. That's at least $260 off the $800. So, a room for 5 nights that sleeps 4 and has kitchen facilities at a newer, modern resort on Ka'anipali Beach will cost less than $100 per night.

(BTW, that's less than half of the rental price of any week listed on DeniseM's rental site. Lowest price for WKORV is $1,550 for 7 nights.)

I don't think anyone who owns at WKORV and rents out their studio would be willing to match a price of less than $100 per night. That rental price wouldn't even cover the MF at WKORV. Go and enjoy; don't buy. Salty

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
We actually took that deal back in 2006 and that is what led us to research Starwood timeshares. However, even though we bought the package for $400, we didn't end up using it because by the time we traveled to Hawaii, we had bought our timeshare.

So, yes, I think it's legit and I also think it's a pretty good deal.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
what's so funny?

IV studio = parking lot view...

My sister and her husband took the package one year, and they didn't have to take the timeshare presentation -- I understand the voluntary/mandatory attendance is based on your province/state of residence. When you contact them, they'll go through the details. No one bugged them at all once they were on-site.

The car rental is your choice of whatever they have (they chose a convertible) through a private link, and they just take the $185 off the price.

They actually ended up with the larger 1BR IV, and were quite happy. They got the corner ground floor unit in Building 4 that looks back towards the park (through the parking lot) and they could almost glimpse water if they stood on their tippie toes...

They weren't offered the chance to upgrade to the larger unit, but another set of friends we have were given that opportunity at an extra cost of something like $200 total a few years earlier.

Eagle7304

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is legit. We did this deal in 2008 and ended up buying at WKORV. At that time they had us stay at the Sheraton and then tour WKOVRN. We liked WKORV and they found us a unit to buy there. We should have bought on the resale market, but what is done is done. :wall:
We forwarded names of people who might be interested in the teaser deal and 4 friends bought them and used them. We had warned all of them about buying from the developer, so none did. All of them were given IV at WKORV for rooms. They all had a great time.

We love the unit at WKORV and are going again in May. :clap:

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this a target offer or can anyone call in for the special? Do you pay first, then choose a date by certain deadline? Thanks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Is this a target offer or can anyone call in for the special? Do you pay first, then choose a date by certain deadline? Thanks

In the past, you either got a targeted offer or had to be referred by an owner.

You don't pay until you make a reservation.

pathways25

TUG Member
Reaction score

When I got my offer, I had until a certain date to "accept" it (accepting meant you had to pay for it). Once accepted, I had like a year to use it.

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
In the past, you either got a targeted offer or had to be referred by an owner.

You don't pay until you make a reservation.

If you own how do you refer someone. Do you refer them as a contact and hope they get the deal or can you request it for a specific person.

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
If SDKath got this recently it's funny because she's already 5* -- why would they need to send her the potential owner explorer package?