• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elite status

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Hi-

I just received "an invitation" to participate in a survey based on my three star elite status. I thought I had been told by a sales"person" that a re-sale week did not qualify toward elite status. I'm only asking because the ability to bank my options as late as October is a benefit worth having, if I actually do have it. I don't necessarily believe that I have that status just because I received a Starwood generated survey. Is there anywhere on MSC to verify elite status?

TIA,
Gina

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
I don't think there is a way to check it on the "dashboard," and generally, when you check with a human at Starwood, they will determine that you aren't Elite.

For whatever reason, when Starwood transfers a resale to a new owner, they sometimes do not remove the previous owner's status or Staroptions, which leads to a lot of confusion.

Jodi0415

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is a way to check it on the "dashboard," and generally, when you check with a human at Starwood, they will determine that you aren't Elite.

For whatever reason, when Starwood transfers a resale to a new owner, they sometimes do not remove the previous owner's status or Staroptions, which leads to a lot of confusion.

Happened to me! Our SVV Key West is platinum eoy. When I first logged in I had 334,000 SO! Woohoo! Quickly rectified! Lol!

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is a way to tell if you are or not in their website. In my experience mandatory direct sale, approved (retro) resales, and plain resales display the exact same way online. Customer Service Reps sometimes have a hard time telling resales apart.

As a test, you can simply ask them to conver to SPG points. That will prompt them to update your account.

Either way, plain resales do not get you elite or SPG point conversion. Only approved resales.

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Assuming you have your SPG account linked, you can tell whether you are Elite at the SPG website on the My Account --> Account Overview page. It will say "SVN Elite" right underneath your name and status. Also, the SPG iPhone app says "Starwood Vacation Network Elite" on the My Account screen as well as on the virtual membership card.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Assuming you have your SPG account linked, you can tell whether you are Elite at the SPG website on the My Account --> Account Overview page. It will say "SVN Elite" right underneath your name and status. Also, the SPG iPhone app says "Starwood Vacation Network Elite" on the My Account screen as well as on the virtual membership card.

I'll take a look, I never noticed that in the SPG website. They should show that info in the dashboard.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

Okwiater - thanks for posting this. I learned something new today.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV

Alas, just as I thought, I am not elite. :rolleyes: It's high school all over again, I will never sit at the cool kids table.:hysterical:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alas, just as I thought, I am not elite. :rolleyes: It's high school all over again, I will never sit at the cool kids table.:hysterical:

It's not what table you sit at, it's how many luggage tags you have...

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
We just received our survey. Questions like:
What is important, home resort, SVN, adventure vacations.
Would you like to use options (not conversion points) for Westin hotels, cruises, concerts

What cities and states are locations you want to visit in the US;in Europe

Of course you never know what the value of the choices are but it looked like they are looking to make more choices available

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
I like the idea of using staroptions for hotels.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I thought it was interesting that they were surveying us about if we would be interested in using staroptions or staroptions & cash for hotels (and at what level) with all the changes with the TS and Starwood happening. I'm somewhat encouraged that they even spent the resources/effort right now while the companies are in such a state of transition.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I felt the same way. As my wife and I discussed, it is always about how many options will they charge for X. It could be reasonable or it could be silly. I really hope that IF they go this way they do something reasonable.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Re: Survey

I wasn't going to fill out until I saw this thread. I found the questions interesting. To me, wearing corporate beanie, it looks like they are trying to estimate the comparable value between SOs and SPs from their customer's viewpoint, and interest level for SO usage. Perhaps with the intent of future integration?

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought it was interesting that they were surveying us about if we would be interested in using staroptions or staroptions & cash for hotels (and at what level) with all the changes with the TS and Starwood happening. I'm somewhat encouraged that they even spent the resources/effort right now while the companies are in such a state of transition.

I was going to pass on the survey, but decided to answer the questions. Interesting that they care about their owner's opinions during this transition. Perhaps this survey is being driven by an ILG request.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was going to pass on the survey, but decided to answer the questions. Interesting that they care about their owner's opinions during this transition. Perhaps this survey is being driven by an ILG request.

Maybe ILG is trying to gauge the value of actually having a tie-in to Starwood and related hotels. After all the whole Starwood-Marriott merger is a change in control which could make whatever agreement that Vistana has in place with Starwood for the rights to pay and use the brands and star points become void after the merger.

Westnick

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just received our survey. Questions like:
What is important, home resort, SVN, adventure vacations.
Would you like to use options (not conversion points) for Westin hotels, cruises, concerts

What cities and states are locations you want to visit in the US;in Europe

Of course you never know what the value of the choices are but it looked like they are looking to make more choices available

Where is the survey? Was it emailed or on your dashboard? Was it sent to elite only?

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This was emailed and it did say to elite's. Since many speculate on these boards; maybe they are looking for ways to keep the elites happy during the merger;)

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the interest of fueling the speculation, my direct sales contact told me that Starwood was looking into adding a new elite level. This was just before the Marriott hotel news.

I don't think the survey is related to this, but based on the questions it seems they want to add flexibility in the way SOs can be used. This would make it more attractive to own larger amounts of SOs and having the new status level.:ponder:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I like the idea of using staroptions for hotels.

I do too, and maybe for cruises. As someone else remarked, it all depends on whether the conversion rates are reasonable. Maybe they might even offer SO use for other hotels under the ILG umbrella...

It sounds promising that ILG/Starwood are considering ways to 'energize' their product and locations. My guess is in one part to have more carrots to offer for prospective developer/full price sales. And on the other hand find something your repeat customers might want.

What better source of info on the most appealing carrots than the group who already bought full price. I think it's too bad ILG/Starwood didn't query all with staroptions, to get a more complete sample of how people want to use staroptions.

Personally I'd like to see more choices for international use and a New York location :) Well we gave our survey input, just wait and see...

Last edited: