• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elite status at resale prices!

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
I ran into an incredible deal this winter and wanted to pass it on to the members here as the I have enjoyed this board and gained some valuable info from the other members here.

My family and I have been visiting relatives in the UK and while we were here decided to visit the Scottish highlands and stayed at the Craigendarroch suites in Ballater Scotland. While there I purchased not 1, but 2 units from the Craigendarroch lodges. The HGVC there sells resales of their units for their owners. This means I purchased the units from HGVC and so qualify for elite status but only payed resale prices.

I was able to purchase 2 x 9600 point units for 7950 GBP each. With the Hilton registration fees it worked out to about $14000 Cdn each. As per your Maintenance fee/point ratio chart this is one of the better units to own so it was a win/win all around. With my original 5000 pt unit if Vegas, this gives me elite plus status extremely cheap.

John the agent I used is more that happy to mail contracts out and complete at a distance. We actually purchased our second unit when back in England with family. There is a 15 day waiting period after the contract is signed and then you pay for the unit and within a couple of days, voila, the points are in your account.

The only difference that I can see is that by default I automatically get my assigned week in my unit in Scotland unless I call HGVC to tell them I want the points instead. I have already used my points to book a holiday in Hawaii!

I hope this helps someone.

Cheers.

V

hdins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NYC
I ran into an incredible deal this winter and wanted to pass it on to the members here as the I have enjoyed this board and gained some valuable info from the other members here.

My family and I have been visiting relatives in the UK and while we were here decided to visit the Scottish highlands and stayed at the Craigendarroch suites in Ballater Scotland. While there I purchased not 1, but 2 units from the Craigendarroch lodges. The HGVC there sells resales of their units for their owners. This means I purchased the units from HGVC and so qualify for elite status but only payed resale prices.

I was able to purchase 2 x 9600 point units for 7950 GBP each. With the Hilton registration fees it worked out to about $14000 Cdn each. As per your Maintenance fee/point ratio chart this is one of the better units to own so it was a win/win all around. With my original 5000 pt unit if Vegas, this gives me elite plus status extremely cheap.

John the agent I used is more that happy to mail contracts out and complete at a distance. We actually purchased our second unit when back in England with family. There is a 15 day waiting period after the contract is signed and then you pay for the unit and within a couple of days, voila, the points are in your account.

The only difference that I can see is that by default I automatically get my assigned week in my unit in Scotland unless I call HGVC to tell them I want the points instead. I have already used my points to book a holiday in Hawaii!

Cheers.

V
Will you please share John's contact information ?

Thanks

Sky313

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the maintenance fee for your units?

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas, Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (DRI), Worldmark
I just paid $900 in Maintenance fees for my 2 bedroom lodge unit (7000 points). Some of the low fee rate is due to a currently favorable exchange rate (it was even better last year). I purchased it resale (but not through HGVC) and it has been great. You do have to call and cancel the fixed week but it is easy to do and can be done well in advance (I have already cancelled my 2019 week and used the points for Hawaii as well). It is a great resort and we stayed there in August 2016 the Suites section and it was a great unit. Have not actually stayed in the Lodge unit yet. It is not a deeded unit (holiday certificate with no use expiration) so it was an easy transfer as mentioned.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
John Pringle
Sales executive
+44 (0)13397 53454

Braemar Road, Ballater, Royal Deeside, Scotland, AB35 5XA

JPringle@hgvc.com

Maintenance fees are around 850 british pounds. There is only 1 three bedroom plus lodge that gets you 9600 points. The other 3 bedroom lodges are apparently smaller and only 8400 points with slightly lower maintenance fees.

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas, Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (DRI), Worldmark
For a apples to apples comparison, my 2 Bedroom Lodge maintenance fee was 642 british pounds (and converted to the USD amount above).

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
One thing to consider with Scotland or any foreign T/S is that you do have some currency risk when the fees are charged in the local currency.

That has been working to advantage of those of us based in the US recently, but could change over the long term.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider with Scotland or any foreign T/S is that you do have some currency risk when the fees are charged in the local currency.

That has been working to advantage of those of us based in the US recently, but could change over the long term.

True. I love the MF on my Craigendarroch now, with the current exchange rate. But when the British Pound was over $2, it was very painful. Yikes!

night0wl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once you get Elite status, can it be taken away if you sell your direct from developer unit? (seems like a Flip opportunity)

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
can it be taken away if you sell your direct from developer unit?

yes, per the rules (if you drop below elite point requirements).

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
EY or EOY?
9600 points annually/EY

I'm Canadian mate, I get screwed either way!

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own an annual week so the 642 GBP is for a EY... got a fairly good deal on it in 2015 for $3750 (7000 points) in 2015 though Diane Nadeau's website. Yes it is subject to the whims of the exchange rate, but it's going to take a pretty big swing back to make this maintenance fee more than my Bay Club and MarBrisa weeks....

Sky313

TUG Member
Reaction score
In contemplation of buying more contracts, does anyone know if it is true that the max contracts can have per account is 4 before being charged an extra Club account fee. I saw this on the 2018 maintenance fee list for someone with 5 Craigendarroch suite contracts being charged a club fee for their 5th contract which was separate.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
From Mosescan:
"I'm Canadian mate, I get screwed either way!"

As Mosescan points out, and most of our American cousins forget, we Canadians always have to deal with exchange rate fluctuations. Ever since Intrawest ceased affiliation with HGVC there are no Canadian properties available in the HGVC portfolio, other than via RCI (a pet peeve, by the way). For many Canadians a timeshare can be a way to lock-in longer-term USD vacation costs, preferably at a time when the USD/CAD exchange rate is more favourable than currently. We still have exposure to exchange rate fluctuations on the annual maintenance fees, but that varies over time.

The same would be true if purchasing UK or European-based HGVC properties, such as Craigendarroch. For those of us that travel across the pond it gives us an alternative to US-based properties for vacations. Now if HGVC would just start expanding into the Caribbean (as well as Canada), it would be a more perfect world!!!

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
In contemplation of buying more contracts, does anyone know if it is true that the max contracts can have per account is 4 before being charged an extra Club account fee. I saw this on the 2018 maintenance fee list for someone with 5 Craigendarroch suite contracts being charged a club fee for their 5th contract which was separate.
I have more than 5 annual weeks and only pay one club fee. You only pay one club fee for all the weeks you own.

Maybe that last week was titled differently? All mine are titled exactly the same.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

Cheers.

V
What is the interval of time to call to deposit the week for HGVC points (the earliest and the latest)? Say that I buy a week now and the next check in date is August 18th 2018. Can the points still be used in 2018?

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You must convert to points before 31 days prior to the start of your week. You can convert as early as Jan 1 the year prior.

rdw95

Reaction score
Just as an FYI - there are also 2 locations in the states that do authorized HGVC resale with points counting toward elete (or what ever) status, and 1 more coming on line within the next 30 - 60 days (estimate). I have all the paperwork at home, but am in the process of purchasing one.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Just as an FYI - there are also 2 locations in the states that do authorized HGVC resale with points counting toward elete (or what ever) status, and 1 more coming on line within the next 30 - 60 days (estimate). I have all the paperwork at home, but am in the process of purchasing one.

Don’t keep us in suspense! Which locations are they?

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Aren't the SW Florida affiliates authorized resale with points counting toward Elite status?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Aren't the SW Florida affiliates authorized resale with points counting toward Elite status?
I got my Elite status when purchasing Surf Club, but that was a few years ago. Some on Facebook posted a few days ago that their resale from a SW Florida sales office didn't count toward Elite, but I am suspect of some of those posts since there are a few HGVC sales people in that group that constantly spread misinformation. But who knows, the rules might have changed.

Kurt

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got my Elite status when purchasing Surf Club, but that was a few years ago. Some on Facebook posted a few days ago that their resale from a SW Florida sales office didn't count toward Elite, but I am suspect of some of those posts since there are a few HGVC sales people in that group that constantly spread misinformation. But who knows, the rules might have changed.

Kurt

Really, which Facebook group?