• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elite Plus Perks

pierceit

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone here is Elite Plus with HGVC? We are at the Elite level and just received an owners update. One of the perks of Elite Plus is the upgrade to next higher unit.

If you are an Elite Plus member, do you find the upgrade perk valuable enough to justify upgrading to the Elite Plus level?

I already understand the value associated with purchasing resale (thanks to reading TUG posts) and plan to purchase resale to add to my developer purchase I made a few years ago. But, the Elite Plus upgrade to next higher unit perk sounds interesting.

-Cheers

Last edited:

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm the lowest level elite. At the last 'owner's meeting' I attended, they tried to push me to 'Elite Plus' based on that argument. However, the upgrade is based on availability, and you won't know whether or not you'll get the upgrade until you check-in.

For me, if I booked a studio anticipating getting a 1br, and didn't get it, it would ruin my stay.

If I booked a 1br because that's all I wanted/needed, and was upgraded to a 2br, it would be a waste.

If I booked a 1br for 5 people anticipating an upgrade to a 2br and didn't get it, I would be uncomfortable and over occupancy.

I guess I'd rather pay the points and know exactly what I was getting.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
I'm the lowest level elite. At the last 'owner's meeting' I attended, they tried to push me to 'Elite Plus' based on that argument. However, the upgrade is based on availability, and you won't know whether or not you'll get the upgrade until you check-in.

For me, if I booked a studio anticipating getting a 1br, and didn't get it, it would ruin my stay.

If I booked a 1br because that's all I wanted/needed, and was upgraded to a 2br, it would be a waste.

If I booked a 1br for 5 people anticipating an upgrade to a 2br and didn't get it, I would be uncomfortable and over occupancy.

I guess I'd rather pay the points and know exactly what I was getting.
Agree

The only thing is let's say you're a family of three, booking a 1 bd is all you really need but a 2 bd would be nice. Then getting the upgrade would be a valuable extra.

Short of that, buying enough more developer priced weeks to get you to elite plus sounds like a waste.

welcome to TUG

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Agree

The only thing is let's say you're a family of three, booking a 1 bd is all you really need but a 2 bd would be nice. Then getting the upgrade would be a valuable extra.

Short of that, buying enough more developer priced weeks to get you to elite plus sounds like a waste.

welcome to TUG

The upgrade would have to be confirmed at time of booking to be considered valuable.

Aquaman55

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone here is Elite Plus with HGVC? We are at the Elite level and just received an owners update. One of the perks of Elite Plus is the upgrade to next higher unit.

If you are an Elite Plus member, do you find the upgrade perk valuable enough to justify upgrading to the Elite Plus level?

I already understand the value associated with purchasing resale (thanks to reading TUG posts) and plan to purchase resale to add to my developer purchase I made a few years ago. But, the Elite Plus upgrade to next higher unit perk sounds interesting.

-Cheers

As others have mentioned, the upgrade perk is based on availability. Some places you will get it, but you can't rely on it. I think the best perk Elite Plus offers is the ability to convert Club points to HH points the same year. It makes point conversion planning a whole lot easier. It's not the best use of points, but if you bank them, you can enjoy an exotic vacation in the Maldives or at an upscale Hilton Hotel resort.

itradehilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just do what I did buy another unit resale for a lot less $$$ and book the bigger unit or better view. I can't imagine many upgrades being available during the prime vacations seasons or resorts.

whatsburning

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just do what I did buy another unit resale for a lot less $$$ and book the bigger unit or better view. I can't imagine many upgrades being available during the prime vacations seasons or resorts.

Ditto above... another way of looking at it is to subtract what you would have paid to Hilton by the resale, and see if the savings are worth more during your vacations (to spend) than getting the plus status.

Aquaman55

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

-Cheers

The cost of the upgrade from 14K points (Elite minimum) to 24K points (Elite Plus minimum) that would get you to Elite Plus could run around $40K, more or less... depending on where you buy. Although many Tuggers are besides themselves in happiness because they discovered resale...and constantly remind everyone in practically every thread how much they saved...the fact remains, 90% of HGVC owners purchase from the developer. That doesn't mean the 90% suddenly become gloomy, and forever live in gloom, once they find out about resale, but cost is such a huge factor when upgrading from one Elite level to another. I think of all the Elite levels, Elite Plus gives you the best perks when considering the value of an Elite level compared to price. The only additional perk of value that you get from Elite Premier is HH Diamond. Anyway, I am curious what you decide to do. Good luck!

Last edited:

hvacrsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
The cost of the upgrade from 14K points (Elite minimum) to 24K points (Elite Plus minimum) that would get you to Elite Plus could run around $40K, more or less... depending on where you buy. Although many Tuggers are besides themselves in happiness because they discovered resale...and constantly remind everyone in practically every thread how much they saved...the fact remains, 90% of HGVC owners purchase from the developer. That doesn't mean the 90% suddenly become gloomy, and forever live in gloom, once they find out about resale, but cost is such a huge factor when upgrading from one Elite level to another. I think of all the Elite levels, Elite Plus gives you the best perks when considering the value of an Elite level compared to price. The only real perk you get from Elite Premier is HH Diamond. Anyway, I am curious what you decide to do. Good luck!

I disagree, HH Diamond used to be a great extra perk, it now has an inventory level attached to it also.
My last hotel booking which I was trying to use some of my just shy of 1 million points and they only had a room if I was paying cash!

This was over two weeks out, not even the 48 hours they guarantee? What Guarantee! Their isn't one anymore.
So Elite isn't so Elite aferall!
Elite is with CASH!
CASH is KING to Hilton, Not Diamond!

So I have lots of points, no where to use them!

Maybe another brand will start accepting their points!

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I disagree, HH Diamond used to be a great extra perk, it now has an inventory level attached to it also.
My last hotel booking which I was trying to use some of my just shy of 1 million points and they only had a room if I was paying cash!

This was over two weeks out, not even the 48 hours they guarantee? What Guarantee! Their isn't one anymore.
So Elite isn't so Elite aferall!
Elite is with CASH!
CASH is KING to Hilton, Not Diamond!

So I have lots of points, no where to use them!

Maybe another brand will start accepting their points!

See my recent thread about Elite Select Exchange Get Aways. This is another Elite perk that is not so elite.