• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ELI5: HGVC, RCI and II

semicycler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Long time HGVC member here just beginning to use RCI bookings through the HGCV portal. My first impression quite honestly is a little disappointing. I was expecting better resorts or at least a larger variety. I understand availability is hit or miss. But no resorts showing up in the Florida Keys at all? Really?

Is the HGVC RCI membership "crippled" in some way? How does it differ from a normal RCI membership - either points or weeks? If I were to join RCI directly would I have a better experience? What about II, is it worth joining and trading my HGVC weeks into it instead going through RCI?

Can someone explain HGVC's RCI portal vs regular RCI vs II to me like I'm a 5-year-old (simple terms)? I'm tempted to try the others out but want to avoid wasting additional membership fees.

Thanks!

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are some RCI resorts that we won't see, because they are not good enough for HGVC owners. You can call in and have those added to a request. You do need to make ongoing searches in RCI if you want something good.

You cannot trade in II with HGVC. You could book your home week and deposit into another company like SFX.

One thing to remember when trading HGVC, you are going to trade down most of the time.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Interval (which you can't exchange with Hilton) has some Hyatt properties in the keys but you aren't going to find availability Nov-April. RCI has one or two although you may be preventing from seeing them by the quality filter but they wouldn't sit in online inventory, you would need to start an ongoing request and even then high season exchanges probably won't happen.

In general for most in demand locations your best bet is to set up an ongoing request 8 months to 2 years in advance.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
The best TS's in RCI are the HGVC's.

II has Marriott & Westin TS's, but you would have to pick-up an II trader.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Some would argue that Disney trumps Hilton. RCI also has Wyndham and while only a handful would be comparable to the Hiltons, it has locations that aren't available in most other systems.

semicycler

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, so no II access with HGVC. I guess I would need to own a non-HGVC property to trade through II then, correct? Is it possible to just rent through II with cash? Meaning can I join II without owning a timeshare to trade, and just rent properties listed in their inventory?

elleny76

Reaction score
I am looking for II as well since I have RCI.

OK, so no II access with HGVC. I guess I would need to own a non-HGVC property to trade through II then, correct? Is it possible to just rent through II with cash? Meaning can I join II without owning a timeshare to trade, and just rent properties listed in their inventory?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score

To become a member of II, you need a timeshare that they have a contract with. You have to be a member to use their getaway weeks (the rental weeks).

It is possible that you could find a Tugger who would be willing to let you buy a getaway through their account. It would be the rental cost of the week plus the guest certificate fee. You'd have no control over what happens with the reservation, though.

semicycler

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks for the info on II.

Now what about SFX? It looks like I can join for free but need to deposit my HGVC week with them before searching for exchanges. Is this correct? Is SFX any good, meaning locations and availability any better/worse than RCI?

Similarly, is SFX Platinum membership any better in terms of finding locations/availability?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score

Now what about SFX? It looks like I can join for free but need to deposit my HGVC week with them before searching for exchanges. Is this correct? Is SFX any good, meaning locations and availability any better/worse than RCI?

Similarly, is SFX Platinum membership any better in terms of finding locations/availability?

I used to be a Platinum member in SFX and was very happy with it, but they got rid of that and now have Diamond membership. I don't currently have a paid membership with them because I don't plan on needing an exchange through them for the next few years. It won't matter which membership you have, other than your fees will be different and you'll have a longer exchange/search window with a paid membership.

I believe that you need to deposit your week to be able to search. As a non paid member, I can search online, but like RCI, it is far better to do an ongoing search. The difference is that with SFX, you have to pay the exchange fee when you get a match, even if you don't want it. In RCI, you pay to set up the ongoing search, but when you get a match, you can choose to not accept it and your money continues to go towards a new search. You can search for specific resorts in RCI and in SFX instead of general regions. Overall, I've had more success trading in SFX than in RCI, but I am very picky about where I want to stay.

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
I took advantage of the free Diamond Membership trial at SFX, and though I haven't ever deposited a week with them, it looks to me like their cash rentals of weeks are available to me. They seem to be really nice resorts, and it's more expensive than RCI Last Call, but they're available farther out, and, as I said, they all seem to be really high-end resorts.

Haven't booked anything yet, because things are busy at work, but I'd look to some of those SFX cash weeks, if I wanted to get away for a week, and the airfares weren't ridiculous.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm an SFX Diamond (I think they renamed it now) member. But that's because I anticipated doing 1 exchange/year with them, so it was "cheaper" for me to get the lifetime membership.

Anyway:
Their inventory isn't as much as RCI (I don't know about II), but their fees are reasonable (I think RCI via HGVC is like $200 now plus like $160 for guest certificate?). If you want Florida, request it far out. SFX is more picky about what they will accept, so you'll probably get a good resort. I got a Hyatt (the one by the airport) once for the Keys.

SFX also has good (IMO) trading into Vidanta resorts, but they have a 1-3 rule. We've been able to take my 1 BR 2400 point HGVC Las Vegas week and get a 2 BR Grand Luxxe for only $300 more (the $300 is for the Grand Luxxe). So I basically got a 2 BR Grand Luxxe for like $800 all in. Pretty cheap, IMO. But we book a year in advance.

If you get Nathan @ SFX, he's the most awesome rep to deal with (I'm biased, what can I say).

They will occasionally call you via their "Travel" store to sell you a vacation package. I'd pass. The Cruise certs aren't worth it (because you can't combine them with any other discounts--even though they don't tell you that). And the resorts via the "travel" store aren't always that great or if they are, the pricing is really high. But if you have really flexible last minute, they do have some really great deals (even some AI options if you want).

Hope this helps? If you want to know more, just ask or PM me.
--Kevin

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
With Exchanges it pays to do your homework

Here are some reasons why you may not see availability in RCI:
(1) HGVC has a quality filter in place so we don't see all available inventory in RCI
(2) Availability is based on deposits and all weeks are not deposited.
(3) What you see online from the RCI Weeks inventory are the leftovers after all ongoing searches have been satisfied.

HGVC members have access to RCI weeks and RCI Points. High demand resorts and/or destinations are snatched up via ongoing search request or as soon as the RCI Points window opens up.
NOTE: Ongoing searches are only against RCI Weeks inventory.

Here's some additional information regarding exchanges - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1702883&postcount=4
Here's an old thread with some examples of RCI POINTS availability - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178504

NOTE: For trading with II, I used WorldMark - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202811

There is a list of the top RCI resort based on TUG rankings in the TUG Resorts Database - http://www.tug2.com/BrowseResorts.aspx?Top RCI Resorts&top=RCI

If you're looking for Key West, it looks like Galleon Resort ranks high. http://www.tug2.com/BrowseResorts.aspx?FL-East Coast/Keys | Florida Keys&area=12&group=3

Here are a few threads regarding the Galleon Resort
Recommendations for a Key West resort (2015) - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232848&highlight=galleon
Galleon in Key West - Tough Trade? (2015) - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226705&highlight=galleon
At the Galleon in Key West (2014) - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213980&highlight=galleon

RR Drummer

Reaction score
I'll be honest. It's been a few years but I worked for HGVC in the past as an agent. People can argue the point but HGVC is the highest quality Club to trade in RCI. That being said at least 1/2 of the RCI resorts are considered downgrades for HGVC members. Meaning they will never match up for an exchange regardless of when or where. In order to request a downgrade search you have to call in and ask the travel guide and agree that should you exchange and travel to a downgrade resort, regardless of any issue you have with the resort or accommodations in any way, you cannot call in and complain or seek assistance with your issue. Quite simply if you want to go to Florida Keys your best chance is to buy or rent at a resort in Florida Keys.

semicycler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I guess the biggest issue I'm having with RCI is searching for resorts. If there is availability the resort shows up, but no availability and the resorts do not show up. I'd really like an easier way to search an area where I want to vacation to see all possible resorts regardless of availability, and then submit an ongoing search for availability using just the resorts I like. Perhaps the TUG RCI database is a better way to narrow down my choices. Two step process - first use TUG to find the list of resorts, then use RCI for an ongoing search.

As far as the Florida Keys go, we ended up booking at the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina using Hilton honors points for the last week in July. No I didn't convert my HGVC points to HH points, I know the exchange rate is really bad. I travel a lot for work and normally stay in the Hilton portfolio so I have north of 500K HH points to spend. So the stay is essentially free :)

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd really like an easier way to search an area where I want to vacation to see all possible resorts regardless of availability, and then submit an ongoing search for availability using just the resorts I like.

You can do that. You look in the resort directory in RCI and narrow down the general area. From there, look at all the resorts and enter the resort code into an ongoing search. It is important to not enter a region/area when you do an ongoing search. Only add resort codes for the resorts that you want. You can do that online or over the phone.

Glad to hear you have your keys visit all set.

semicycler

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can do that. You look in the resort directory in RCI and narrow down the general area. From there, look at all the resorts and enter the resort code into an ongoing search.

Found it, thanks a lot! I was searching for a really large check in window and only resorts with availability where showing up. It would have been nice to see the unavailable resorts listed at the end. But the resort directory has what I want. Too bad it's buried under one of the menus, not real obvious at first.

Key West has three resorts showing in HGVC's version of RCI, no availability as expected, with only one of those three resorts crossing in the TUG database. The TUG database also shows four additional Hyatts only available through II, and four others of mid to low rating. Maybe those others are filtered out by HGVC's version of RCI. So not everything shows up in RCI, not everything shows up in TUG database, and some resorts are only available through II.

Maybe I need to sell one of my HGVC properties and pickup something for II trading. Research time...

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I need to sell one of my HGVC properties and pickup something for II trading. Research time...

It does look like II is better for the Keys. I just looked at the directory. I don't know how much any of these are ever available, but they have:

7 locations in Key West
4 locations in Lower Keys
5 locations in Upper Keys

Some might be very junky. If you think you'll want to stay there often and in the Hyatts, you may want to research owning Hyatt points.

elleny76

Reaction score
I hope the HGVC changes from RCI to II :annoyed:

RR Drummer

Reaction score

Never say never but very highly unlikely. The debate over which exchange company is best is a long and exhausted one. Their are lovers and haters on either side including not only observers but actual members who exchange. Some people are easily pleased while there is no pleasing others. Research the heck out of everything then give it more time & thought, then decide. The best lesson is never ever rush a decision or base it on solely on emotion.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

There are several South Florida HGVC resorts that are dual affiliated with RCI and II (see sample list below). Here's an old 2010 thread that talks about it - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131801

The Cottages at South Seas Plantation - https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1503&resortCode=COT
Harbourview Villas at South Seas Resort - https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1503&resortCode=HVV
Hurricane House - https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1503&resortCode=HHS
Plantation Beach Club - https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1503&resortCode=PBS
Plantation Bay Villas - https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1503&resortCode=PLN
Plantation House - https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1503&resortCode=PHH
Sanibel Cottages - https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1503&resortCode=SBO
The South Seas Club - https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1503&resortCode=SSP
Tortuga Beach Club - https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1503&resortCode=TBC

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
The TUG Resort Database is definitely helpful in determining which resorts might met your personal needs. I suggest looking at all possible sources - TUG Resort Database Reviews, TUG threads, Tripadvisor.com, Yelp.com, etc.

When trying to determine your chances for a match, it helps to understand whether the resort is RCI Weeks or RCI Points or dual affiliated with both RCI and II. Also, some resorts have historical trends in terms of when and what they deposit. This is where the TUG Sightings forum can also come in handy. ;)

Here's an example:
"Playa Linda, Aruba - trying to get a unit with an HGVC/RCI exchange" (2014) - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207384&highlight=sightings

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
When trying to determine your chances for a match, it helps to understand whether the resort is RCI Weeks or RCI Points or dual affiliated with both RCI and II. Also, some resorts have historical trends in terms of when and what they deposit. This is where the TUG Sightings forum can also handy. ;)

For those in the thread who are listed as guests, you need to pay $15. to become a member of Tug to see that forum.