• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elderly Grandparent needs out of Timeshare

whoathere

Reaction score
Hi all, new here.

My grandmother purchased a timeshare some 10 years ago at Imperial Waikiki. I don't have all the info, but I'll do my best with what I know.

She purchased the 1 week TS for $4,000 cash. The maintenance fees are $1,000 annually. She is on a fixed income and has no money for anything, let alone the maintenance fees. She has never been back since purchasing. Right now, we are just hoping to get out from under the maintenance fees, and don't care about recouping any of the $4,000.

Last week, she got a call from someone offering to sell the time share for an upfront fee of $3,500. She doesn't have this money, so thankfully she called me asking for it. I wasn't even away of the timeshare. I told her not to do anything. The salesman for this company even came to their house and made it seem like it was a debt they owed to him and that in 10 days he could take their house from them. I have no clue who this guy is. She is current on the maintenance fees.

A few days later a "lender" called offering to give them some money, which she believed she needed to keep her house. She gave him all of her info, he said he would wire the money to Walmart. Thankfully, he needed $350 upfront which she doesn't have so she hung up and never received the money.

So before I track down who these people are so that I can test out my new shovel, I need some advice on her maintenance fees. She is 84, only has social security income and doesn't drive. I feel as though she should just stop paying the fees. She's old, has no money, has no equity in her home, has nothing. She doesn't borrow any money, so even if it hits her credit it doesn't matter. I've seen these units for sale as little as $50 so resale doesn't look like an option.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'm glad your grandmother talked to you first - anyone who asks for an upfront fee is likely to be a scammer.

Here is the contact info. for a reputable timeshare broker in Hawaii - he is a Tugger, and he will give you an honest evaluation on your grandmother's timeshare. I recommend that you do a conference call with your grandmother.

Syed Sarmad (TUG user name Syed)
www.advantagevacation.com

If he says it has no resale value, here is a forum where you can give the timeshare away on TUG:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132509

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
...So before I track down who these people are so that I can test out my new shovel...

I like it! :D

I'm so sorry to hear that your grandmother has been targeted as prey to those horrible evil people. It's good to hear you're watching out for her. Please make sure you report the incident to the police.

Giving it away to a new owner is much better for everyone than just stopping payment of MF's. A good start is to offer it in the Bargain Deals Forum on TUG here - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55

I've used the forum to give away a few timeshares, and it is quite painless if you use a TUG recommended closing company. Some can handle the transfer for a few hundred dollars - all negotiable with the person who takes her timeshare.

Confirm what she owns, and post the details in the Bargain Deals.
Don't put your email or phone number in the ad! Interested parties should contact you through private message.
Here is the info they will want to know:
Resort Name?
Unit size?
What season/weeks can she book?
What are the annual MF's?
It's nice to provide links to the timeshare's website.
Any other information that would help "sell" the timeshare.​

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can try to give it away, etc., but if she cannot afford the annual dues, she should stop paying. As you said, she doesn't need a good credit rating.

Oahu is a desirable place to own a timeshare. While I am not familiar with hers, there is still a chance that someone will want it and will at least pay to transfer it to their own name.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Imperial used to have an in house sales staff. Call and find out if they still do. If they do, and she's current on the year's maintenence, then call them and see if they will take it for a listing of less than any of their other listed weeks.

[--edited to add--] They do have a timeshare sales company listed on their website, which you can find here. Remember, if they won't take it from you outright, list it to sell for as little as you can, and definitely less than any other of the same size.

Fern

Last edited:

whoathere

Reaction score
Does it make it any easier to get rid of if its a 2 week timeshare? Apparently they purchased two and then merged them to one contract for 2 weeks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Does it make it any easier to get rid of if its a 2 week timeshare? Apparently they purchased two and then merged them to one contract for 2 weeks.

A lot of people like to go to Hawaii for 2 weeks, so that may be attractive. I have one like that.

whoathere

Reaction score
In the roughly 2 months since my original post, we've been through a whirlwind with this thing.

Apparently, my grandmother wrote a check and gave it to this guy while he was at her home. She didn't have the money for the check, which was the real reason she was calling around. We only found out about it after my mom took her to the bank and found her crying inside as she thought someone robbed her. She ended up overdrafting and being charged a few hundred in overdraft fees as she didn't catch it for 2 weeks.

After a quick call to my attorney, I was told to contact the Attorney General Consumer Protection Division. This was after I made attempts to contact the company that cashed the check, but received no response. About a week later my grandmother received the payment back in full, and then I started receiving calls from FL, presumably because my number was on the complaint I filed.

Anyway, now I'm ready to get rid of this stupid thing so I don't have to deal with it anymore. I appreciate the suggestions above. I will probably try all avenues until something works.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Please start by contacting Syed - he is a Tugger and a timeshare broker in Hawaii, and he will give you an honest appraisal:

Syed Sarmad (TUG user name Syed)
www.advantagevacation.com

-If he feels that it has resale value, you may want to list it with him.

-If it has no resale value, then you may want to list it on TUG for free, as outlined above.

You should also consider having a family member take control of your grandmother's finances, because now that she has been identified as an easy mark, this will never end. She is going to be continued to be contacted by scammers who want to take advantage of her.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I used to own at Imperial. It has little to no resale value. I gave away my ownership on Tug, and paid the transfer fees. The new owner is a Tug member who is very happy to own there.

I have replied to your other thread about this ownership, and added some information that will be important to a potential new owner. I can say that anyone who wants to own in the best part of Waikiki (right next door to the Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk timeshare) and across the street from the President's favorite restaurant, this is the chance to own something nice for very little. it is a modest place, but the location is superb.

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can the OP asked the resort to take back the ts liked DRI, Wyndham & Marriott?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It's tough to get an elderly person to let go of their own finances, and
it's tough for their offspring to bring up the subject...

But when someone is easily conned and manipulated into writing checks for $$ they do not have due to fear of "losing the house," it's time to have that discussion.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It's tough to get an elderly person to is let go of their own finances, and
it's tough for their offspring to bring up the subject...

But when someone is easily conned and manipulated into writing checks for $$ they do not due to fear of "losing the house," it's time to have that discussion.

My brother's former wife had that kind of thing happen to her mother a few years ago. A girl called the mother one day, and when she answered, started crying, "Grandma? Grandma? Is that you?"

Grandma says, "Yes, Caitlyn, it's me. What's the matter?" (Just gave her the name.)

"Oh Grandma, yes, it's Caitlyn. I'm in jail in Canada! I was arrested for a traffic accident and I need money!" (More tears)

You know where this is going. Grandma freaks out, says of course she'd help, and what do you need me to do. Grandma goes to the bank to get money so she can wire it to Western Union in Canada to get her only granddaughter out of jail.

Problem is, there's a lock on Grandma's bank account. She can't do anything without approval of her daughter, who is Caitlyn's mother. Bank calls daughter, daughter talks to Grandma, and says "I'll be right there!" and she rushes to the bank. She walks in the door, with Caitlyn at her side. Grandma is confused, and doesn't understand how Caitlyn got out of jail so quickly. The whole story comes out, issue is reported to police, and the women are told that there have been several people at Grandma's apartment building who have been targeted by this kind of scam. Apparently somebody has been rifling through the trash collecting envelopes with resident names on them. Most have listed phone numbers, and the rest is classic scammer history. Grandma was moved into assisted living not long after.

Luckily this time no money was taken, but it's so easy to see how someone could prey on seniors who are unaware. The mother was very pleased she had locked up her mother's bank account for this very reason.

Dave

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
My brother's former wife had that kind of thing happen to her mother a few years ago. A girl called the mother one day, and when she answered, started crying, "Grandma? Grandma? Is that you?"

Grandma says, "Yes, Caitlyn, it's me. What's the matter?" (Just gave her the name.)

"Oh Grandma, yes, it's Caitlyn. I'm in jail in Canada! I was arrested for a traffic accident and I need money!" (More tears)

You know where this is going. Grandma freaks out, says of course she'd help, and what do you need me to do. Grandma goes to the bank to get money so she can wire it to Western Union in Canada to get her only granddaughter out of jail.

Problem is, there's a lock on Grandma's bank account. She can't do anything without approval of her daughter, who is Caitlyn's mother. Bank calls daughter, daughter talks to Grandma, and says "I'll be right there!" and she rushes to the bank. She walks in the door, with Caitlyn at her side. Grandma is confused, and doesn't understand how Caitlyn got out of jail so quickly. The whole story comes out, issue is reported to police, and the women are told that there have been several people at Grandma's apartment building who have been targeted by this kind of scam. Apparently somebody has been rifling through the trash collecting envelopes with resident names on them. Most have listed phone numbers, and the rest is classic scammer history. Grandma was moved into assisted living not long after.

Luckily this time no money was taken, but it's so easy to see how someone could prey on seniors who are unaware. The mother was very pleased she had locked up her mother's bank account for this very reason.

Dave

My mother, who lives in NY, got that same phone call. Luckily she had read about this scam in an AARP magazine. She told the caller "you will have to call your mother on this one" and hung up.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another grandma story

Dave

My mom was also called a couple months ago....but luckily she also told the caller (supposedly my son....who had been picked up cutting school and with someone who had drugs) that he needed to call his dad! - BUT, she also supplied the caller with my son's name....i.e. Is this R.....? - luckily she called us and didn't do anything else, but it is scary to think these scammers go after the elderly like this! This was in rural South Carolina.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Is anyone in the family interested in taking over Grandma's timeshare? Our mother had a timeshare she bought at auction 30 years ago with my Dad. They enjoyed many timeshare vacations. Dad passed away in 2006, Mum still used the timeshare and shared vacations with each of us 5 children. Mum has dementia now and can no longer use her timeshare. We were all given the option to take ownership, my older brother was thrilled to take over ownership, transferred in his and wife's name and has used it to let his grown children go on timeshare vacations. A situation like this is what I would recommend. Or you can do rentals of the weeks and that would take care of Grandma's Maintenence fees. Rentals in Hawaii can be expensive, you can price it low, to make it reasonable for someone interested in going to Hawaii. Good Luck and hope your Grandmother is willing to do this.
Silentg

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
If she is current in her m/f I think she can call the imperial and they will take it back for a small fee, I think it is just the recording fee. Good Luck and sorry your grandma was being scammed.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Time to port her HOME phone number to Ooma .. internet phone in YOUR home computer for screening and getting messages. Also, creates a LOG of whose number & caller which can be printer off easily.

Get her a new phone number, give that number to family only... perhaps a throw away minute cell phone plan. The cell phone companies have some BIG BUTTON phones; perhaps programming the directory with family names & face pictures ... so when the family calls, she sees their faces before answering.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Time to port her HOME phone number to Ooma .. internet phone in YOUR home computer for screening and getting messages. Also, creates a LOG of whose number & caller which can be printer off easily.

Get her a new phone number, give that number to family only... perhaps a throw away minute cell phone plan. The cell phone companies have some BIG BUTTON phones; perhaps programming the directory with family names & face pictures ... so when the family calls, she sees their faces before answering.
Terrible idea. Your going to take her home phone, move it to her daughter's home? Then get her a cell phone that only family can call? Are you assuming she never calls any friends, or they call her? Also, if there is dementia, a 911 call on a cell phone gives the location of the nearest cell tower, not her exact address. Plus she must remember to keep it charged. I will not even mention what happens when the power fails.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Terrible idea. Your going to take her home phone, move it to her daughter's home? Then get her a cell phone that only family can call? Are you assuming she never calls any friends, or they call her? Also, if there is dementia, a 911 call on a cell phone gives the location of the nearest cell tower, not her exact address. Plus she must remember to keep it charged. I will not even mention what happens when the power fails.

Really .. maybe she should NOT be living alone?

I have been the primary and LOCAL contact person for both of my parents who aged badly ... my mother's decline with dementia lasted 4+ years and even with my father living there in the house, I got many calls to come to the house. I had NO SAY LEGALLY but I had to figure out WHAT was going on. I then had to convince siblings 1500-3000 miles away to get their butts HOME and get action out of our father. I just LOVED dealing with the 5 police officers the first time my mother TOLD the water meter reading the man (my father) in the house was trying to kill her.

As for my father's years of dementia ... he was shipped to different sibling's houses for 6 months but magically appeared back in his house near me - to visit except ALL his stuff was UPS'ed to the house also (he picked on his granddaughter and she was upset). Had a live in aide .. but his sister (my aunt) was my problem also (she just plain crazy for 35+ years)... until he refused to get out of bed any more. Then he got moved to an assisted living place ... 150 miles from his crazy sister (trying to get POA on him and control of his assets).

Please, a person who has dementia LIVES in a different world then the HERE and NOW. They have short periods of sanity, but should NOT be driving nor controlling monetary assets. They do NOT use the phone because they can not focus on what is being said ... it is just noise and sounds ... almost scary to them. They can not remember numbers to call someone ... many times, the just dial "0" for the operator. And then they get mad because, the operator is NOT their daughter, will not get their daughter on the line or who will even talk to them. They leave the phone off the hook because it is broken ... just making noise and sounds until it goes quiet and times out ... of course, you can't call in because the phone is off the hook or the battery is dead.

And as for "911" calls ... the police will find YOU and tell you to correct the endless and unnecessary emergency calls.

So, raygo123, those "friends" of the person with dementia stopped calling years ago. There is no real "911" calling as they generally are not aware they are dehydrated or can move after falling down the basement steps or even KNOW anymore what a phone is. And as for keeping it charged ... that is like the 4 handsets my dad had ... always seem to be in the trash can as he did NOT know what they were .. so they were trash.

PS A landline can't follow them down the street when they wander off ... a cell phone's GPS might be able to locate them in the 100 acre field across the street from the house. Or where the lawn mower crew left Dad when he got them to give him a ride away from his aide ... yes, they took my Dad off into the sunset on fine afternoon with the aide trying to run down the street screaming for them to STOP. Aide called me ... and I had to track him down and fetch him back.

PSS I now am dealing with my father's last sibling ... my 90 year old aunt. At least she does NOT have dementia. She has a blood sucking lawyer. And I am 24 years older.

Last edited:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a shame that the children of an aging parent will not do what's needed for the good of a parent. Institutionalizing is a sad, and heart wrenching thing to do. Especially when one parent kills the other, so this is not my first rodeo either. And my parents live to their mid 90's. Fortunately, with my parents it was mild dementia, stoikes, and mersa. I made the decision, it was tough, and siblings were scattered across the US and Canada.
You have to do what you have to do

As far as the OP, don't worry about the calls. They cannot get to her money. Enjoy them as much as you can. Let her live as she wants as long as possible, but when it is time, even if you have to get a lawyer, take the steps needed.

As far as the timeshare let it go to forclosure unless one of you want it. Keep the land line, there is nothing worse than the power going out without a phone.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I don't want to enter the whole discussion about VOIP vs landline vs cell, but....

Cell phones, even ones which are not currently subscribed, can place 911 calls. Those with GPS (E911) can relay position (depending on the phone etc...)

And, for those of you who will argue about keeping it charged, or finding the buttons to dial 911 etc: If the individual in question is not capable of using a cell phone, then it may be possible to request a 'medical necessity' phone service with the local 'Ma Bell' telephone company at a vastly reduced rate.

You can always use an emergency cell as backup for VOIP as well.
Paying $50+ a month for the opportunity to use a landline when the power is out seems a bit steep to me. Others may feel different.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
In the roughly 2 months since my original post, we've been through a whirlwind with this thing.

Apparently, my grandmother wrote a check and gave it to this guy while he was at her home. She didn't have the money for the check, which was the real reason she was calling around. We only found out about it after my mom took her to the bank and found her crying inside as she thought someone robbed her. She ended up overdrafting and being charged a few hundred in overdraft fees as she didn't catch it for 2 weeks.

After a quick call to my attorney, I was told to contact the Attojrney General Consumer Protection Division. This was after I made attempts to contact the company that cashed the check, but received no response. About a week later my grandmother received the payment back in full, and then I started receiving calls from FL, presumably because my number was on the complaint I filed.

Anyway, now I'm ready to get rid of this stupid thing so I don't have to deal with it anymore. I appreciate the suggestions above. I will probably try all avenues until something works.
If I may be so bold as to ask if your Grandmother is still considered competent to handle her affairs? Or are you doing this to protect her interest? Either way, good for you. I had a situation that I got suckered into by a fast talking Timeshare ( Help U Sell) *not the real name) person. I did this at a weak moment when my husband was away. My husband called Mr Slick and of course got his voicemail, told him whatever agreement I made was not OK with him and to cancel it immediately! Anyway, I am not a Grandma but, anyone can get taken in a weak moment. I hope you resolve this in a favorable manor. I have way too many timeshares already otherwise I might have been interested in your Grandma's place.
Silentg
Silentg

whoathere

Reaction score
Well, this convo went off on a bit of a tangent. I have someone interested, thankfully. I'm hopeful that it pans out.

In terms of my grandmother, well she is remarried (my grandfather passed away in the early 2000's). Unfortunately, he's useless. In terms of any of our family members taking it over, we have a huge family and I would venture to guess that the only people with the means to do that would be either my parents or my wife and I. Neither of us want a time share, and we each have a 2nd home as it is.

The sad reality of this situation is that my grandmother also happens to be quite manipulative, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if she were to have given this guy a check that she couldn't cover in order to force my mom to cover for her.

In any event, we are working on getting rid of it and I am hoping to have it resolved soon.

Again, I appreciate everyone's suggestions for me. You guys are great!