• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elara Westgate resale contract does anyone else own one?

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hope someone owns a Elara former Westgate contract that is now Hilton Vacation Club they bought resale. If anyone owns one and will admit to owning it please tell me how it is working out for you.
I first posted a similar question on the West board. Then the moderator moved it to the Hilton Vacation Club forum.
I'm still looking for someone who owns a similar contract. I've heard from most posters how bad Westgate resales are treated. Would like to hear from someone with experience.

The contract I can get for nothing is a 1bd 1-52 floating week EOY with the option to split the week for 2 stays. Not a points contract. I'm only interested in the Elara and staying or booking my split week to cover event weekends to rent. Does this work? Will this work? Are there added costs for booking reservations at the Elara or booking a split reservation?

If you don't want to post then please Private Message me. TIA

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Good luck, hope there is a Westgate Elara owner out there that can help.

Just a bit of clarification. There is no such thing as an “Elara former Westgate now Hilton Vacation Club.” It is still Westgate and they do not share any rooms with HGVC at Elara. The only relationship that HGVC has with the Westgate timeshares is that they manage the resort. Someone posted on your other thread that as a Westgate owner you would be required to pay the HGVC Club dues which I think is incorrect. Westgate owners have no HGVC benefits and therefore wouldn’t be subject to the club dues.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks RX8 I hope I can find an actual owner also. I did know that about not having to pay the Club dues. I also understand I used the wrong name for the HGVC. I could not remember the initials so I just went with it. I think if there are any Elara former Westgate resale contracts out there among Tuggers they will know what I mean.
I do know so far that Elara(Westgate) owners do call HGVC to make their reservations. The customer service number I called would not give me any information about the contract I was thinking about buying even though I had Name and contract number of owner. The rep did let me ask some general questions. I would have reservation priority 12 months out. I could make reservations in 2019 for 2020 even though my maintenance fees would not be due till 1/1/2020. Being able to make reservations in March of 2019 for March of 2020. HGVC owners(points) can not jump over me as they can't make reservations till 9 month out.
I am reading and listening to all the posts. That is why I reposted here. I understand a lot of folks dislike the Westgate system. Please don't tell me there is no free lunch as I have found many great free lunches. Sometimes it's only a matter of putting the time into learning your programs.
Please if there are Elara Westgate contract resale owners out there fellow Tuggers please step forward and give me your educated opinions. That is what I need. Thanks I'm going to sleep now. It's been a long day on the beach in Playa Del Carmen for the last 7 weeks enjoying the many free contracts that I have gotten at an oceanfront resort here. Everyone dislikes the Sunset Organization also, but I've learn the program.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
I have been looking for information on this too. Did you end up getting the unit?

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Found the attached document at the HGVC website for westgate owners.

Attachments

• LV52 - Westgate Owners Message - 2015 Final.pdf
    137.4 KB · Views: 242

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
I own both Resale HGVC Elara and Resale Westgate Elara. You have many options with the Westgate Elara

danahill007

Reaction score
Thanks RX8 I hope I can find an actual owner also. I did know that about not having to pay the Club dues. I also understand I used the wrong name for the HGVC. I could not remember the initials so I just went with it. I think if there are any Elara former Westgate resale contracts out there among Tuggers they will know what I mean.
I do know so far that Elara(Westgate) owners do call HGVC to make their reservations. The customer service number I called would not give me any information about the contract I was thinking about buying even though I had Name and contract number of owner. The rep did let me ask some general questions. I would have reservation priority 12 months out. I could make reservations in 2019 for 2020 even though my maintenance fees would not be due till 1/1/2020. Being able to make reservations in March of 2019 for March of 2020. HGVC owners(points) can not jump over me as they can't make reservations till 9 month out.
I am reading and listening to all the posts. That is why I reposted here. I understand a lot of folks dislike the Westgate system. Please don't tell me there is no free lunch as I have found many great free lunches. Sometimes it's only a matter of putting the time into learning your programs.
Please if there are Elara Westgate contract resale owners out there fellow Tuggers please step forward and give me your educated opinions. That is what I need. Thanks I'm going to sleep now. It's been a long day on the beach in Playa Del Carmen for the last 7 weeks enjoying the many free contracts that I have gotten at an oceanfront resort here. Everyone dislikes the Sunset Organization also, but I've learn the program.

How did it go? I’m in the same boat.

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs

danahill007

Reaction score
What would you like to know?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I have the opportunity to get a “free” Westgate Elara floating week timeshare (just paying closing costs). Maintenance fees are paid for 2020.

I read here about Westgate resale owners being treated poorly. Is this true? Are there any resort fees or any extra fees for resale owners? Can the unit be rented out? If so, can it be broken up into multiple stays during that week (say rent for 4 nights and rent to someone else the other 3 nights)? Do you feel the 900+ maintenance fee is worth it? Would you purchase the Westgate Elara resale again if you could do it over again?

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
here are the options with The deeded week at westgate. I own week 52 ODD YEARS.
I rented that week on Airbnb and made about a $250 profit. Yes, you can split your week to 4 nights and 3 nights and rent it out.

here are your other options:
1 - use your week
2 - Pay $600 plus your week and trade into the Westgate portfolio
3 - split your week into a 4 night and 3 night stay. You will get 1 free guest certificate. The second reservation will cost $49 i think. There are some restrictions though, I think only 1 of them can be a weekend stay.
4 - deposit into interval international and get access to Hyatt, Marriott and Westin resorts.

The $900 + maintenance fee includes the reservation charge and 1 free guest certificate.
I would not buy into Westgate Elara other week 52.
Here is the Travel Demand Index with Interval International
1581981034551.png
Tr

danahill007

Reaction score
here are the options with The deeded week at westgate. I own week 52 ODD YEARS.
I rented that week on Airbnb and made about a $250 profit. Yes, you can split your week to 4 nights and 3 nights and rent it out.

here are your other options:
1 - use your week
2 - Pay $600 plus your week and trade into the Westgate portfolio
3 - split your week into a 4 night and 3 night stay. You will get 1 free guest certificate. The second reservation will cost $49 i think. There are some restrictions though, I think only 1 of them can be a weekend stay.
4 - deposit into interval international and get access to Hyatt, Marriott and Westin resorts.

The $900 + maintenance fee includes the reservation charge and 1 free guest certificate.
I would not buy into Westgate Elara other week 52.
Here is the Travel Demand Index with Interval International
View attachment 17291Tr
Thank you for this information. What do you think about floating weeks?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Thank you for this information. What do you think about floating weeks?

Here is a good thread on resale Westgate restrictions.

danahill007

Reaction score
Here is a good thread on resale Westgate restrictions.

Thank you!!!

KDaley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Planet Hollywood (HGVC Elara) - Westgate Owner
HGVC Elara
HGVC Enclave
Hope someone owns a Elara former Westgate contract that is now Hilton Vacation Club they bought resale. If anyone owns one and will admit to owning it please tell me how it is working out for you.
I first posted a similar question on the West board. Then the moderator moved it to the Hilton Vacation Club forum.
I'm still looking for someone who owns a similar contract. I've heard from most posters how bad Westgate resales are treated. Would like to hear from someone with experience.

The contract I can get for nothing is a 1bd 1-52 floating week EOY with the option to split the week for 2 stays. Not a points contract. I'm only interested in the Elara and staying or booking my split week to cover event weekends to rent. Does this work? Will this work? Are there added costs for booking reservations at the Elara or booking a split reservation?

If you don't want to post then please Private Message me. TIA

I purchased a Westgate Elara 2BR EOYE Float earlier this year. For me, this was a steal at $295. I have scheduled to take vacation next week from Oct 26-Nov 2. I had no issue making reservations or even canceling and modifying the reservation for the dates of my choosing. But theses are different times and vacationing is at a low. You actually call HGVC to make your reservation. I have login accounts with both Westgate and HGVC Owners websites, but all things pertaining to my reset ownership will be handled via HGVC as long as I stay with my home resort. I purchased with all 2020 fees paid by the seller and gained use of 2020 as well. I have been at this resort several times, but this will be the 1st time as an owner. So, I will give an update after my stay. I'm excited. I heard all the things bad about purchasing Westgate, but I knew I only wanted to use my home resort which is why I didn't think much about it being a Westgate property. HGVC has treated me very well so far. To get a 2BR using the HGVC points system, you will need to purchase a min of 5800 points for the Gold season and 8400 points for the Platinum season. I am actually hoping my lucky stars will find me a similar unit EOYO so I can go every year or someone selling 8400 points for $300... LOL. I truly love this particular resort.

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just hate the idea that the Westgate Elara charges a reservation fee for your deeded week.
This is the 2021 maintenance fee for the westgate elara, 1 bedroom 1 bathroom unit
2021 Operating Fee$708.1901/01/2021
2021 Reserve Fee$141.8601/01/2021
2021 Real Estate Tax$34.6401/01/2021
2021 Reservation Fee $22.9701/01/2021
Total $907.66

ceichten

Reaction score
I just learned today that in September 2020, the Board of Directors signed a unanimous consent to no longer allow rentals at Elara for Planet Hollywood Westgate owners. I personally own more than 40 units that are deeded in my company name and purchased to rent out for Las Vegas conventions, as I have been doing now for 7+ years. The Elara front desk would not allow 2 of my guests to check in, and I was provided with the attached today. I am waiting for an answer back from the board, but I really so no choice but to sue at this point?

Also, anyone that is a Planet Hollywood Westgate Elara owner, I am the Administrator of a Facebook group called Elara Las Vegas (Westgate/Planet Hollywood) Original Owners Group, please request to join if you are an original owner.

Attachments

• LV 52 - UWC - Owner Rental Restrictions - 2020.pdf
    141 KB · Views: 57

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Not 1 not 2 not 3 not 4 not 5 not 6 not 7 not 8 not 9 not 10 Not 11 not 12 not 13 not 14 not 15 not 16 not 17 not 18 not 19 not 20 Not 21 not 22 not 23 not 24 not 25 not 26 not 27 not 28 not 29 not 30 Not 31 not 32 not 33 not 34 not 35 not 36 not 37 not 38 not 39 BUT 40!!! 40!!! Sorry to hear about all of the defaults coming.

@travelhacker need anymore weeks? Lol

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I just learned today that in September 2020, the Board of Directors signed a unanimous consent to no longer allow rentals at Elara for Planet Hollywood Westgate owners. I personally own more than 40 units that are deeded in my company name and purchased to rent out for Las Vegas conventions, as I have been doing now for 7+ years. The Elara front desk would not allow 2 of my guests to check in, and I was provided with the attached today. I am waiting for an answer back from the board, but I really so no choice but to sue at this point?

Also, anyone that is a Planet Hollywood Westgate Elara owner, I am the Administrator of a Facebook group called Elara Las Vegas (Westgate/Planet Hollywood) Original Owners Group, please request to join if you are an original owner.
Did you purchase any directly from Westgate? Most timeshare contracts or offering statements or terms and conditions have some kind of language prohibiting commercial activity. Most don't specifically define what they consider commercial activity and may not even enforce that provision. It seems like now they are both defining it and enforcing it. While I suspect some vague language has always been in place prohibiting what you have been doing, I am sure that there is no language in the contracts specifically allowing commercial renting of timeshare units. And while someone who rents out one or two reservations might be able to claim the activity isn't commercial, with 40 units I don't see how you could make such a claim. We live in america and you certainly can try suing but I am not sure you will be successful.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Did you purchase any directly from Westgate? Most timeshare contracts or offering statements or terms and conditions have some kind of language prohibiting commercial activity. Most don't specifically define what they consider commercial activity and may not even enforce that provision. It seems like now they are both defining it and enforcing it. While I suspect some vague language has always been in place prohibiting what you have been doing, I am sure that there is no language in the contracts specifically allowing commercial renting of timeshare units. And while someone who rents out one or two reservations might be able to claim the activity isn't commercial, with 40 units I don't see how you could make such a claim. We live in america and you certainly can try suing but I am not sure you will be successful.
40 weeks lol

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't believe they are ruining the market value of the Westgate units by punishing all owners for the actions of a few guests. The owner(s) whose guests caused the problems should be held accountable. Are the Board of Directors owners themselves?

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I can't believe they are ruining the market value of the Westgate units by punishing all owners for the actions of a few guests. The owner(s) whose guests caused the problems should be held accountable. Are the Board of Directors owners themselves?
Westgate had market value?

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I realize the Westgate weeks had very little market value, due to the Westgate resale rules. However, the action by the Board ruined any value they had. Now, in addition to no resale value, they have no "rental value".

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
But we don't know if they are punishing all owners. I think most owners even if they rent one or two won't be on any ones radar unlike the 20-40 week owners.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I personally own more than 40 units that are deeded in my company name and purchased to rent out ...

Hopefully your company is incorporated and doesn’t have much else in assets or debts for which you are personally liable. You may now be the captain of a Viking ship.