• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ebike suggestions please

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
For our first ebike we thinking a folding fat tire type like maybe a Fiido. I don't know the brands and the brands I do know like BMW are too expensive for a first ebike. I'm thinking between $800 and $1200 is where I want to be on price. I think we will be using these on trips to National Parks and other similar places. I like folding ebike designs because they could fit in the back of the suv.

Thanks

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm also in the market. Seems to be a lot of choices, and brands I've never heard of. How do you know the good from the not so good?

Dave

Brett

Reaction score
For our first ebike we thinking a folding fat tire type like maybe a Fiido. I don't know the brands and the brands I do know like BMW are too expensive for a first ebike. I'm thinking between $800 and $1200 is where I want to be on price. I think we will be using these on trips to National Parks and other similar places. I like folding ebike designs because they could fit in the back of the suv.

Thanks

Bill

I'm also in the market. Seems to be a lot of choices, and brands I've never heard of. How do you know the good from the not so good?

Dave

Go visit a bike shop with a good selection of ebikes, they will let you ride different ebikes around the block. That's what I did and I was hooked! You can ride the expensive foldable mountain bikes and the lower powered bikes. (class 1, 2, 3). Make a note of size - distance from handle bars to seat, distance from floor to seat, etc. and what was comfortable for you. Look at different styles, wheel sizes, gearing and weight and how to remove the battery. Discuss differences with sales people.
But before the actual store visit go online and google ebikes. Some of the less expensive "street" ebikes online are Aventon Pace 350 / 500, Nakto 26' (Amazon) Ancheer 350 / 500. I didn't look at the better higher powered mountain bikes because I live in coastal Va. where it's all flat, no hills or mountains. The better ebikes have Bosch motors. The problem with online ordering (for me two months ago) there was a long delay with many online ebikes not available for shipping - demand > supply !

edit: I did notice my Trek Electra townie ebike goes up a steep hill just fine in high power, lower gear.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Go visit a bike shop with a good selection of ebikes, they will let you ride different ebikes around the block. \

Thanks, Brett. There are so many terms and features on these things that are new to me. It's a learning experience, for sure. I do plan to visit a store, if only to try riding one and deciding if this is something I really want. Lots of hills where I've moved, plenty of off-road trails, and plenty of adventure waiting for me. It'd be great to be able to explore the area without killing myself. :D

Now, (without me hijacking this thread), I need to find out what my neighbors are talking about when they refer to "driving a Razor off-road." I know about those little Razor scooters, but they seem to be referring to an off-road vehicle of some sort. More to learn... :)

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Speaking from a position of ignorance, shopping at a local bike shop makes sense for a few reasons. First, they are likely to stock 'better' brands. They assemble them and will necessarily need to perform any repairs and the occasional 'tune-up'. They will keep a stock in 'consumable' parts- like brake pads, tires, tubes etc. They will also be cyclists and will likely organize outings for like-minded area cyclists and know interesting locations to bike to. Ebikes are going to experience faster wear that their purely human-powered equivalent. More torque and higher speeds naturally puts more strain on components, like gears, chain, brakes, The additional weight also adds to the wear and tear on the bike. Then, of course is fitting the bike to the rider. Or vice versa. Amazon isn't going to make sure you get what fits you and is the outfit that will give you the enjoyment you want.

So shop local. Even if you end up buying online, a few spins around the block at a local bike shop will make you a more informed buyer.

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now, (without me hijacking this thread), I need to find out what my neighbors are talking about when they refer to "driving a Razor off-road." I know about those little Razor scooters, but they seem to be referring to an off-road vehicle of some sort. More to learn... :)
Do a search for Polaris RZR. :) No hijack here.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I am lucky to have a manufacturer right here in town, I purchased direct having met the owners riding at the beach. All my riding is flat beach trail so I didn’t need a high powered bike, I chose a floor model that was being discontinued but its perfect for me. The newer styles have frame mounted battery, which I didn’t want because I load it into my pickup and its easier to remove the rear battery. I also like the cruiser style with pedal forward frame, much easier on my hands. If I ride MTB my hands start to tingle right away and I get back pain from being bent forward. Its like riding a chopper vs a cafe racer motorbike.

I have 5 levels of boost and 7speed gearing, I mainly use boost level 2 in 4th gear and it goes about 13mph. I can do 30 miles on a charge at that level. If I crank it up to level 5 in 7th gear it will go about 23mph but drops the distance to about 15 miles. I’ve had mine for 4 years now with no problems, still rides nice and charges up fine. I ride once or twice a week, about 20 miles each ride.

They have a new folding style, “Sierra”.

There are some educational videos linked on the web site that may help you choose. There are lots of people making frames but the electrics are just a few brands from China.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I purchased Step Thru E Bikes from Rad Power Bikes. They only sell on line. They are located in Seattle. The bikes are between $1299 and 1499. They have foldable, off road fat tires and ones like ours that are for the road. 5PAS, 5 gears on a number of models. There are deals now, in some Costco stores they do have coupons to purchase for $1299 which includes a couple of the usual Costco extras. Or you order direct and they are shipped free.
Two things we did before buying was finding a location to ride them, which we found about 25 miles from our home. The other was whether there is a bike shop nearby that will service them. My bike shop highly recommended them, and he sells Trek ebikes and a couple of other brands, though he doesn't stock them. He has assembled quite a few.
When they come there is some easy assembly, which we did, then took to bike shop and had him put on he pedals, make sure everything we did was right, etc.
Because we ordered 2 we were able to take $200 off, so they ended up being $1399 each.
They have other discounts, veterans, referral (will refer you if you want, $50 off.)
Some bike shops won't work on any ebikes, but they are exploding, the biggest area of growth in the biking industry. Good Luck. they are fun, and I continue to ride my regular bike as well.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you see this thread on eBikes? https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/electric-bicycle-recommendations.307634/

DH and I just got our Lectric XP's and are having a blast with them!

Thanks Pam for linking the other thread. I think we are looking at something like what you bought or the Rad. The Rad kind of makes sense because they are a couple hour drive away from us.

Thanks Rjbeach. We are leaning to the Rad fold-able. I think its the Rad Runner 1. Mostly because they are a company in Seattle.

Thanks DaveNV for getting the thread going. Razor's are a very fast Polaris side by side ATV. Many of my friends have these. I like my Jeep better because it is enclosed and has air conditioning. The ATV's do get dusted out on the inside way more than a Jeep.

Thanks Bret. Thanks Smith Op. Thanks Jim. If I missed anyone, thanks !

I watched a video on how these fold so I'm certain I could take two anywhere with room to spare. The Rad bikes are out until September according to their website.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I knew the Kiddo- Microsoft worker, Seattle-land resident ordered a RadRunner Plus recently. Delivery is expected in September. He's planning on riding it to work after they open the campus. It will fit the bus bike racks too. He opted for this one to get the 7-speed drivetrain and front shocks. There is a 'regular RadRunner single speed drive and no shock fork for like $500 less that would probably do just fine for most people (he tells me). They only sell direct. Here: https://www.radpowerbikes.com/ If you buy two, they take $200 off the total price.

Jim

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So we decided to get the Lectric xp's. Partly because they would arrive in a couple of weeks but mostly because of the many features on the ebike like the display, fenders, rack and fold-ability. The kicker was even though they are closed on Saturday they returned my email inquiry within 15 minutes via live person. They were on sale from what I could tell so we saved $200 on the two ebikes.

I have never wore a bike helmet. They look kind of odd. Is every one wearing these ?

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So we decided to get the Lectric xp's. Partly because they would arrive in a couple of weeks but mostly because of the many features on the ebike like the display, fenders, rack and fold-ability. The kicker was even though they are closed on Saturday they returned my email inquiry within 15 minutes via live person. They were on sale from what I could tell so we saved $200 on the two ebikes.

I have never wore a bike helmet. They look kind of odd. Is every one wearing these ?

Bill

That looks like a nice choice. Congrats!

And yes, bike helmets are necessary these days. We all grew up without helmets or seatbelts, drinking from the garden hose, and walking across town unsupervised. But it's a Brave New World out there, and bike helmets are a valid part of self protection you should wear. You know you're safe on that bike, but the idiot driving near you may not even see you. A dented noggin is not a good thing. Good luck!

Dave

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Looks Good, Bill. Keep us posted as you venture out. Yes. Wear the helmet. Don't be an organ donor.

Jim

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are brand new to us, so we’re playing around with them to see what we’ll want/need. After 10 miles this morning, I’m thinking a suspension post and seat with more padding would be nice!

Ours shipped with panniers - I put one on my bike, DH isn’t keen on it. We’re looking for locks and lights. The lights are OK, but after riding motorcycles, I want to make sure these quiet little things are seen on the road. And some kind of bell. And figuring out a plastic bin to pack the bike in for the back of our cars. I saw that on a video, and love that it keeps the bikes contained and the car clean.

It is really fun to ride! We’re using the lowest level of pedal assist, because we’ve been on multi-use trails with lots of blind curves. Going up to Level 2 has us at 15mph+ with very little effort. Using the throttle is like a slingshot if you aren’t ready for it!

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Simon Cowell says be careful when riding your ebike in your driveway ... and read the manual
Ahhh yes, the lessons learned from 20/20 hindsight. Simon will have plenty of time to consider it. People just don't have the concept of the INSTANT power of the electric vehicles, whether it be a bike or a car.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Cute. But at $4K a pop, it is out of my league.

We dropped into a local bike shop here to look things over. I didn't see any bike for sale for less than $2900, and most were well more than that. Way above my budget for something I may only ride once or twice a week, if that often. The way the guy talked about things, you'd think he only sells to people who ride bikes full time, and who don't own a car. I am definitely not in that demographic. :shrug:

Dave

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, some prices seem high for a beginner who just wants to play around with an eBike. So far, I’m happy with mine. She might not be pretty, but she sure is fun to ride!

9541286E-D00C-4AC1-B417-0F9B8EACBE38.jpeg