• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

eBay Purchase - Big Problem-Need Advice

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
philemer said:
Since Paypal was sued by NY they have changed thier policies. You may now pursue a credit card refund through your CC company. See #4 in their agreement. https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_buyer_complaint

Here's part of it: Relationship between Buyer Complaint Policy and Credit Card Chargeback Rights. If you used a credit card to fund a purchase of goods or services through PayPal, you may have chargeback rights granted by your credit card issuer. Credit card chargebacks, if they apply, can be filed more than 45 days after the transaction, are not limited to funds in the seller’s balance, and cover cases where the goods are not as described by the seller as well as cases of non-delivery.

You can choose to pursue the Buyer Complaint process or your credit card chargeback rights; however, you cannot pursue both at the same time or seek a double recovery. If you initiate a Buyer Complaint claim and, while the claim is pending, you file a credit card chargeback, PayPal will cancel your Buyer Complaint claim, and you will have to rely solely on your credit card chargeback rights.

Phil

The problem is "may have chargeback rights granted by the credit card issuer". Regardless of what Paypal's policies are, the purchaser still is not covered by the Fair Credit Billing Act. It will be up to the CC company whether or not they do anything about the dispute. They are not required by law to do anything about a situation such as this.

RoverJohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
A FINE CONCLUSION – I will get all my money returned.

A week or so ago I contacted the selling agent and told him that the Timeshare I bid for, won and paid for, was clearly not the advertised Two Bedroom Unit as it was listed in eBay. I sent him all my saved e-mail, especially his e-mail to me stating that the week I was buying was “a two-bedroom unit throughout the year.” Talks were cordial and he said he would get back to me. A few days later, he phoned to tell me that the party he was acting for (not the actual owner) would refund my money but not $350 for paperwork, administrative costs and the e-Bay listing fee. I though about it but then called Visa – I used a credit card to pay the sales price. Yesterday the sales agent phoned to say that I would be refunded my entire payment – it would get the week back on the market and sold more quickly. A letter from Visa probably swung the deal.

I truly believe that the sales agent was caught in the middle – the Timeshare system I was buying into is complex and complicated, the owner had no clue as to what was he owned and put up for sale, the sales agent took everything at face value from the owner, and I obviously didn’t proceed as carefully as the many postings suggest to a buyer – (It would have been a GREAT price for a two bedroom). There have been many fine suggestions that everyone should follow for eBay sales and I hope in the future to be more careful. But sometimes you have to take a risk.