• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

eBay: 'Bidders identities protected'

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Hi,

I'm interested in a TS listed on eBay. Someone has bid and it says: 'Private Listing... Bidders identities protected'. What does this mean? Who is doing the bidding?

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Hi,

I'm interested in a TS listed on eBay. Someone has bid and it says: 'Private Listing... Bidders identities protected'. What does this mean? Who is doing the bidding?

That has been discussed here frequently. "Private Listings" is available to sellers and the way it was set up was to hide buyer identities on high ticket items like antiques. Even though eBay codes your user name peeps can figure out who's buying items especially when there are so few bidding on those types of items.

A few eBay timeshare sellers have adopted this policy and many of us believe that it hides shill bidding. I don't know if it does or not but those sellers usually have other negatives that I don't like. One is that they won't accept paypal or credit cards and if they do accept CCs they charge a premium.

I will not bid on anything that a seller offers when they use the "private" format. There is no reason for them to use it, no reason at all and I think they do it to hide something. I don't trust them and won't bid.

Do a seach here on TUG of the sellers name and see what comes up.

Kapolei

Reaction score

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Hi CXSjohn,

It wasn't the seller who hid their identity but the other bidder. The auction is now over... I got the Elysian Beach Resort in St Thomas USVI for $66.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=151940008769&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

But it is the seller that determines if the bidders identities will be protected. If you are not logged in to your account, you won't be able to see your name in the bidders list either. All of the bidders names for me show as "private listing - bidders' identities protected". So even your name, as a bidder, is hidden from others.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This is standard ebay practice. When you bid on something, the rest of the ebay world doesn't get to see it was you. I agree with this.

What RNCollins reports IS NOT standard practice. What is standard practice, it where the list of bidders is masked with **** with the first and last character shown but still not the actual first and last character of the bidder. With this method you can tell which bids are from which bidder, but you can't see who the actual bidder is.

The masked method can, to a degree, expose a shill. The private listing can not.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Another problem with Private auctions, when you look at feedback it doesn't link to the actual actions even for recently closed transactions. You have no idea if the A+++ feedback was from selling a timeshare or a $1.00 pack of baseball cards. It makes the feedback a lot less useful.

Feedback From When
Negative feedback rating The seller will not provide me with accurate tax & maintenance info to complete! Buyer: 0***7 ( 5 ) During past month
-- -- Private
Positive feedback rating Excellent communication-informative- will buy again from AAA+++ Buyer: a***u ( 71Blue star icon for feedback score in between 50 to 99) During past month
-- -- Private
Positive feedback rating A++++. Great to work with. Buyer: y***m ( 6 ) During past month
-- -- Private
Positive feedback rating Sorry can't purchase didn't realize what I was purchasing Buyer: k***e ( 7 ) During past 6 months
-- -- Private

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Hi CXSjohn,

It wasn't the seller who hid their identity but the other bidder. The auction is now over... I got the Elysian Beach Resort in St Thomas USVI for $66.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=151940008769&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

What RNCollins reports IS NOT standard practice. What is standard practice, it where the list of bidders is masked with **** with the first and last character shown but still not the actual first and last character of the bidder. With this method you can tell which bids are from which bidder, but you can't see who the actual bidder is.

The masked method can, to a degree, expose a shill. The private listing can not.

Another problem with Private auctions, when you look at feedback it doesn't link to the actual actions even for recently closed transactions. You have no idea if the A+++ feedback was from selling a timeshare or a $1.00 pack of baseball cards. It makes the feedback a lot less useful.

It is the seller who determines whether or not to use the "private" type auction, not the bidder.

This particular seller used to be called acobbfan and after much negative feedback his name was changed to yourvacationservices2. I predict there will be more name changes as time goes on.

Here is one thread on this seller.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215002

I hope the OPs transaction goes smoothly.

I will not bid on this sellers auctions.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just wanted to give you all an update about my "purchase" of the studio from The Elysian in St Thomas (that I paid $66.00 for). The rep from yourvacationservices2 said the unit was no longer available, even after the fact that I signed a contract for the purchase!

I made a bad mistake, I already bought my (non refundable)airfare for the trip that was supposed to happen later in the year, thinking by then the timeshare would be in my name! Uurgh!

They also go by the name Legacy Adventures.

Good luck to those who attempts to purchase timeshares from them.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give you all an update about my "purchase" of the studio from The Elysian in St Thomas (that I paid $66.00 for). The rep from yourvacationservices2 said the unit was no longer available, even after the fact that I signed a contract for the purchase!

I made a bad mistake, I already bought my (non refundable)airfare for the trip that was supposed to happen later in the year, thinking by then the timeshare would be in my name! Uurgh!

They also go by the name Legacy Adventures.

Good luck to those who attempts to purchase timeshares from them.

The question becomes did the seller also sign the contract and do you have a copy of it ? If you do then I would sue him/her for non performance and sue for the amount of your airfare expenses and $66. Collecting it is another issue of its own.

If you don't have a copy then you're plum out of luck.

Moral of the story is to stay away from shady sellers.

I'd be curious to know if you even will get your $66 returned to you...

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The question becomes did the seller also sign the contract and do you have a copy of it ? If you do then I would sue him/her for non performance and sue for the amount of your airfare expenses and $66. Collecting it is another issue of its own.

If you don't have a copy then you're plum out of luck.

Moral of the story is to stay away from shady sellers.

I'd be curious to know if you even will get your $66 returned to you...

I am not sure they would be able to collect on the cost of airfare. While it might be reasonable to expect to have the property by x date, I don't think it would stand up as a real estate transaction isn't complete until closed. Not sure it is ever wise to book non refundable airfare on an anticipated timeshare purchase.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
While it wont help with your airfare purchase, you can help other potential buyers avoid problems by making sure to post negative feedback for this seller. Also, you can file a "non performing seller" complaint against the seller which can affect their Ebay account.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
While it wont help with your airfare purchase, you can help other potential buyers avoid problems by making sure to post negative feedback for this seller. Also, you can file a "non performing seller" complaint against the seller which can affect their Ebay account.
Probably way too late for negative feedback. I think in the case of timeshare and real estate transactions, they should allow feedback for up to a year, not the short 60 days they offer for transactions currently.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I made a bad mistake, I already bought my (non refundable)airfare for the trip that was supposed to happen later in the year...

Although it's non refundable, you can change the dates + destination... for a fee, of course.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I tried, but you have only 60 days to it.

While it wont help with your airfare purchase, you can help other potential buyers avoid problems by making sure to post negative feedback for this seller. Also, you can file a "non performing seller" complaint against the seller which can affect thei
account.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The airline deducted
$325.00 from my ticket, for the airlines changing the ticket of the reservation. The remaining balance I have with AA I have use by a certain date.