• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Easiest way to get rid of paid-off timeshare for parents

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RiverPointe Napa Valley
Hi, I'm trying to figure out a way to help my parents get rid of this timeshare that they have had since 2003. I'm a little overwhelmed by all the information that is available on here and online, so I was hoping that someone could help me out. So far, it seems like the options are:

1) Deedback or surrender program (if it exists)
2) Selling/giving it away on here
3) Timeshare exit companies (but most of these are scams)

I plan to contact the resort tomorrow to see if they have a deedback program, but is it better to go through the resort or try to find someone to buy/take it for free? I don't think my parents' timeshare has much of a resale value, but this is the information I have on it:

Resort: RiverPointe Napa Valley (http://www.riverpointeresort.com/)
Unit: G1B, which is a 1 bedroom unit
Affiliated in some way with California Vacation Club and Interval International? (I'm not sure how this part works.)

The timeshare itself is paid off, but my parents no longer want to have to keep paying the maintenance fees when they don't actually use it.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
welcome to TUG

:thumbup: What Brian said.

I would add that if your parents are at a stage in life where credit scores no longer matter (that is, they aren't going to apply for credit for a new residence, finance an automobile, etc.), simple default becomes more attractive. But you can use that for leverage in requesting a deedback. You can make clear that no more payments will be forthcoming, giving them the choice of taking a low cost deedback now, or going through a more costly foreclosure process in several years.

michael king

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
massanutten
Is there a list anywhere of which timeshares have deedback programs? If not, what's the easiest way to find out if a timeshare has this program?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Messaged some questions to you

barto

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed there for a week back in 2010 or so and really enjoyed our time at the resort and in the area... hopefully you find a good home for it.

I do see a bunch for sale on Redweek, ranging from free to $399, so you're probably right that the resale value is low.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RiverPointe Napa Valley
Thank you for this.
:thumbup: What Brian said.

I would add that if your parents are at a stage in life where credit scores no longer matter (that is, they aren't going to apply for credit for a new residence, finance an automobile, etc.), simple default becomes more attractive. But you can use that for leverage in requesting a deedback. You can make clear that no more payments will be forthcoming, giving them the choice of taking a low cost deedback now, or going through a more costly foreclosure process in several years.
So I've been doing more research on the consequences of default on this forum and found that CA is an anti-deficiency state according to this post. The main reason I've been hesitant about this option is consequences of a default, mainly that it might result in jail time or that the timeshare company would go after my parents for their assets. But am I understanding right that if CA is a default anti-deficiency state, the worst that they could actually do is ding my parents' credit and send threatening letters/phone calls?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this.

So I've been doing more research on the consequences of default on this forum and found that CA is an anti-deficiency state according to this post. The main reason I've been hesitant about this option is consequences of a default, mainly that it might result in jail time or that the timeshare company would go after my parents for their assets. But am I understanding right that if CA is a default anti-deficiency state, the worst that they could actually do is ding my parents' credit and send threatening letters/phone calls?
You are asking a legal question. Bear in mind that:

1. Free legal advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.
2. Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean it's true.

Most local bar associations have a help activity where people can arrange for short consultation (usually about 30 minutes) with an attorney on legal matters. It seems to me that might be a question that you could probably get that question answered by a competent and knowledgeable attorney who practices in that field of law.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
But am I understanding right

Have you considered becoming a Tug member ? If you join I bet you get at least $15 worth of free advice that might better than the other advice you might read on the internet regarding timeshares.

Bill

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
1. Contact the resort and see if they have a deed back provision and what if any it would cost to deed back.
2. Post the timeshare on the "free timesare" forum.
3. Contact the resort and tell them you cannot afford it anymore and will stop any further payments.
Most timeshares have a process of dealing with non payers and it will often cost them more to chase owners that don't pay. Leave them only the option of deeding it back to them.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
The main reason I've been hesitant about this option is consequences of a default, mainly that it might result in jail time
The US does not have debtors prison…. I’m unaware of any first-world countries that do.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I believe @ScoopKona loves that resort, maybe he would be willing to take it on for free

Indeed. I have traded into Riverpointe more than any other timeshare. Basically once or twice a year for nearly 20 years.

That's the problem -- I can trade into it for a small percentage of my points, plus $150.

Depending on the week and the maintenance fee, I could be persuaded to take the thing. But I'm quite happy just trading in through Interval.

Look down below there -- Napa again. I'm batting 1,000 getting this resort when I want it. It's an easy, easy trade.