• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC Timeshare Question? What is the basics of the program

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
NO! But if you buy AKV from the Disneyland sales force (regardless of where you live), you will have in your contract that you have 60 days first dibs to buy into Grand CA when it is sold "Founding Member status". It's a right of first refusal essentially.

There will be 6500 contracts sold. I am told that those will be offered to the Founding Members first. Then, when the 60 days are up, whatever remains of the 6500 will be open to all DVC members (100,000 or so people). Not great odds.

Then, if for some reason the 100,000 members actually pass off some of the 6500 contracts, they will be sold to the general public, ie people walking off the street who want to buy into it but don't own any DVCs. This will never happen. It'll sell out well before then.

So more than likely, the Founding Members (those who bought AKV) will buy up most of the contracts. I thought this was all nonsense/salespitch until I actually verified that it is in my sales contract that I will have first dibs on purchasing GCV. And it is there. I've got it in writing. :D

I don't know if this applies to SSR. I just heard AKV.

By the way, you can buy from the Disneyland sales force via their 800 number. You don't actually have to be at Disneyland to buy. I think anyone who is thinking of buying AKV from the developer might as well buy from the Disneyland team. Why not? Then you'll have the Founding Member status and can always say no to GCV when it goes on sale. I can definitely recommend our Disneland sales guide because she is great (she pulled of a very hard to get New Year reservation for us with our bonus points!).

Katherine

I wish I had a sales guide like that. My guide is NOT proactive and I always have to chase him to do anything. He has been with DVC since it opened and I believe he has gotten complacent and a little lazy. I wanted an AKV one bdrm for Nov 30-Dec 5th. We were sold out 11 months from checkout. I was furious and when I called him protesting that I just bought 250K AKV points on the Member Cruise, and they turned out to be useless to get a villa, all he could do was commiserate. We made reservations at the BCV, which ironically was not sold out. Never did he offer to intervene like your guide did. I did ask that a BCV contract be substituted for the useless, for now, AKVs contract. I never heard back from him so on Monday I am going to call Jim Lewis's office. My husband is 77 years old. We never figured having to wait two to three yrs to use our points. This is the first time this has happened to me, to be sold out at my home resort at 11 months. I owned BWV and it never happened (I sold that contract). I own at BCV, VB, OKW and now AKV. He couldn't prove it by me, that this happens all the time, since it has never happened to me before. Yes, I do know that week is extremely popular with members, the last week in Nov and the first week in Dec are the most popular weeks at DVC because of the low points and the Christmas festivities.

Last edited:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marlyn

Was that for Club level or just a regular AKV room? Wow, reading about the apathy of your guide really makes me appreciate my guide. She calls us every time we are in WDW to check-in on us. She has given us her cell and home number to call anytime if we need help with anything. She even sends us little things , like pins for the kids just because.

Did you waitlist for the reservation? With the way DVC has been releasing new inventory for AKV, I'm sure it would have been filled (except for club level).

Tom

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
NO! But if you buy AKV from the Disneyland sales force (regardless of where you live), you will have in your contract that you have 60 days first dibs to buy into Grand CA when it is sold "Founding Member status". It's a right of first refusal essentially.

There will be 6500 contracts sold. I am told that those will be offered to the Founding Members first. Then, when the 60 days are up, whatever remains of the 6500 will be open to all DVC members (100,000 or so people). Not great odds.

Then, if for some reason the 100,000 members actually pass off some of the 6500 contracts, they will be sold to the general public, ie people walking off the street who want to buy into it but don't own any DVCs. This will never happen. It'll sell out well before then.

So more than likely, the Founding Members (those who bought AKV) will buy up most of the contracts. I thought this was all nonsense/salespitch until I actually verified that it is in my sales contract that I will have first dibs on purchasing GCV. And it is there. I've got it in writing. :D

I don't know if this applies to SSR. I just heard AKV.

By the way, you can buy from the Disneyland sales force via their 800 number. You don't actually have to be at Disneyland to buy. I think anyone who is thinking of buying AKV from the developer might as well buy from the Disneyland team. Why not? Then you'll have the Founding Member status and can always say no to GCV when it goes on sale. I can definitely recommend our Disneland sales guide because she is great (she pulled of a very hard to get New Year reservation for us with our bonus points!).

Katherine

Kath, Very interesting information! Hmmm. Now you've got me thinking... Do I need an add-on :rolleyes:

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kath, Very interesting information! Hmmm. Now you've got me thinking... Do I need an add-on :rolleyes:

Happy to addict someone else. Addonitis is wonderfully contagious.

Katherine :D

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marlyn

Was that for Club level or just a regular AKV room? Wow, reading about the apathy of your guide really makes me appreciate my guide. She calls us every time we are in WDW to check-in on us. She has given us her cell and home number to call anytime if we need help with anything. She even sends us little things , like pins for the kids just because.

Did you waitlist for the reservation? With the way DVC has been releasing new inventory for AKV, I'm sure it would have been filled (except for club level).

Tom

All we wanted was a plain old savannah view one bdrm. I don't like my guide. We have been with him for 16 years now. We cant get rid of him. He yes's me to death and does nothing.

When DVC first opened, and OKW was the whole nine yards, we bought a lot of DVC pts from him. We have to be his largest, or near largest, customer. Anyway when we were all younger we met him for coffee in Olivia's. Are you ready for this, " he asked us for our $2 to pay for our share". When we go on tours with friends he won't give us fast passes since we're members. Duh, I just brought you two leads, can you pls give us passes. he says "Sorry, but they are only for those taking the tours" we say, "But xxx we took the tour with them" His replay" pls have an ice-cream on me". I called his manager on that one. Still no calls no nothing. I will make a call to Jim Lewis tomorrow and I will let him know how your guide treats you. I think the fact that we bought 1200+ pts from him ought to make him take care of us. Instead he talks down to us and hopes we'll go away.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, that at first our guide didn't impress me. Maybe our first contract was just another contract. But since then we have added on four times and have had several referrals for her. She knows we will and are going to add-on again. But she does make us feel appreciated. Actions speak louder then words, and her actions speak well for her.

Last edited:

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
All we wanted was a plain old savannah view one bdrm. I don't like my guide. We have been with him for 16 years now. We cant get rid of him. He yes's me to death and does nothing.

When DVC first opened, and OKW was the whole nine yards, we bought a lot of DVC pts from him. We have to be his largest, or near largest, customer. Anyway when we were all younger we met him for coffee in Olivia's. Are you ready for this, " he asked us for our $2 to pay for our share". When we go on tours with friends he won't give us fast passes since we're members. Duh, I just brought you two leads, can you pls give us passes. he says "Sorry, but they are only for those taking the tours" we say, "But xxx we took the tour with them" His replay" pls have an ice-cream on me". I called his manager on that one. Still no calls no nothing. I will make a call to Jim Lewis tomorrow and I will let him know how your guide treats you. I think the fact that we bought 1200+ pts from him ought to make him take care of us. Instead he talks down to us and hopes we'll go away.

Can't you just get another guide? I would think you could just phone up Disney and explain that you'd be more comfortable with someone else. It seems like they are SOOOO important in the process of your TS experience, you want to be sure you have someone who you trust.

K

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have complained about him before but nothing happens. He calls me up and gives me a song and dance about how he was sick, out of town or something else. It has been going on for years. But most recently I asked him to find out about swapping my AKV for a BCV contract and he didn't run with the ball. Now I have a good reason to dump him (not that I haven't had good reason before this). I love DVC, I really do, but right now I am sick to death of feeling like a second class citizen. Maybe DVC ( my guide in particular) looks at all my points, looks at our age, or looks at our sales potential, and writes us off. He knows were strong buyers but he pays no attention to us. What a silly way to run a salesbag. I was in Marketing for all of my career and this guy has no idea about hand holding or prospeting from his sales bag. What a dummy.
What's your guide's name. She sounds like more my speed.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We had Mario and thought he was great, but when they had that big sale at the end of 2006, I wish he would have called us because we would have purchased then, but we didn't find out about it until it was too late to do something about it. He knew we were very interested, so I don't get the lack of marketing. A simple email would have sufficed.........

I would bet if Marriott had a sale like Disney occasionally has that we would get telephone calls like crazy from our two salespeople.

durrod

Reaction score
CINDY:

If you would like to be part of DVC ( and I know you would) buy RESALE.
Right now there are a ton of resales available at the timeshare store at the lowest prices I have seen in the last few years (maybe is the economy).
That way you can pick a small contract to start, at the resort of your choice.
You can pick a Saratoga contract for as low as 79/80 per point, much lower than Disney "sales". This is your chance. If you get ROFRed always can try again. Low 80's per point seem to been pass by disney. GO ahead. Disney system is great, easy and flexible. No complications like those Fairfield points and their endless nickle and dime.

Last edited:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you would like to be part of DVC ( and I know you would) buy RESALE.
Right now there are a ton of resales available at the timeshare store at the lowest prices I have seen in the last few years (maybe is the economy).
That way you can pick a small contract to start, at the resort of your choice.
You can pick a Saratoga contract for as low as 79/80 per point, much lower than Disney "sales". This is your chance. If you get ROFRed always can try again. Low 80's per point seem to been pass by disney. GO ahead. Disney system is great, easy and flexible. No complications like those Fairfield points and their endless nickle and dime.

You really have to crunch the numbers to make it work. Add in closing costs per point, stripped out contracts, all those bonus points (which has a value of $10 per point).

jjlovecub

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had Mario and thought he was great, but when they had that big sale at the end of 2006, I wish he would have called us because we would have purchased then, but we didn't find out about it until it was too late to do something about it. He knew we were very interested, so I don't get the lack of marketing. A simple email would have sufficed.........

I would bet if Marriott had a sale like Disney occasionally has that we would get telephone calls like crazy from our two salespeople.

How do you know when Disney has a sale?

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just go to the Disney website and go to the vacation club page.

Or post here or the disboards to find out what the current incentives are currently.

I posted the current promotion on the first page of this thread.

Last edited: