• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC or Westing Kaanapali

GKA

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are trying to decide between purchasing a DVC membership or the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort. DVC is now with RCI and Westin is with II. DVC is 48 years and points versus Westin which is deeded and floating week, I think. We have been once to Disney World and don't plan to visit it frequently. We live in California. We want to visit other places, so exchange power is important to us. Any suggestions?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Welcome to TUG!

I would not buy either of these for an exchanger - the Maintenance fees are too high. A standard 2 bdm. at WKORV is almost $2,000 a year for maintenance fees.

Same thing with DVC - it's only a good deal if you are buying it to stay at DVC - not for exchanging.

Here's my advice about buying your first timeshare.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
We are trying to decide between purchasing a DVC membership or the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort. DVC is now with RCI and Westin is with II. DVC is 48 years and points versus Westin which is deeded and floating week, I think. We have been once to Disney World and don't plan to visit it frequently. We live in California. We want to visit other places, so exchange power is important to us. Any suggestions?

Welcome to TUG! Stick around here long enough, and you will end up owning both :D , and then you might end up with Hyatt, too, and some cheap traders just for fun :whoopie: . Oh, wait, that's me :wave: !

Seriously, though, there are many ways to go. 1) Rent where you want to go 2) Buy where you want to go 3) Buy where you want to go, then rent it out when you want to go somewhere else, and rent out the place you want to go. For example, buy Maui, rent Maui, rent DVC or trade with an owner.

We own at Westin Ka'anapali and go every year. We love it there. We own DVC, and try to go every other year. We love it there. The general rule has been if you visit DVC at least every other year, then it is worthwhile to buy points. Otherwise, just rent when you need to go.

If you need to go to Maui during peak travel times (holidays, school breaks), then you either need to own there or rent from an owner. If you can travel during off-peak times and like gambling, then you can buy a less expensive Starwood trader and try your luck trading into Maui. You would need to be flexible with your dates. I would not personally buy Maui to trade, because of the high (and climbing higher) maintenance fees.

Good luck! You are choosing between our favorite timeshares. I say, get them both :cheer: .

Bill4728

Reaction score
Disney is the one TS which over the last 3 years has not had it's resale prices dropped a huge amount. So DVC can be a good buy because you'll be able to sell for about what you paid. BUT as the other's have said DVC is not a good trader. Not because it trades badly but that it make no sense to trade it because it rents for so much. (same is true for the westin in Maui)

Either the Marriott or the Westin in Maui are the top trading TS but their MFs are high and you'll never get fair value in trades because almost everything is a trade down.

So only buy DVC, or the Maui TS if that is where you want to travel on a on going basis.

PS I just want to make it crystal clear. BUY RESALE!! you'll save about $20,000 on the westin alone!!

Last edited:

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I own both. DVC is really great for WDW, I would not use it to go other places other than other DVC places (Hilton Head/Vero Beach/California-soon, and Hawaii -hopefully 2010) It not what I would purchase for trading but if you go to Orlando 1x every 3 years it is without a doubt the best.:D

WKORV-North-Maui fantastic resort on a fantastic island, would never trade this Gem (however I do rent it out when I do not go there. The starwood system is a good one and internal trading is a nice benefit especially if you own a mandatory resort with lower fees like (Westin Kierland or Sheraton Vistana Villiages).

If you are going to hop around to different resorts every year and buy resale I would look at Marriott (due to all the locations), Wyndham (due to all the locations, Worldmark (due to all the locations and trading), and Hilton because you get the added option as a resale owner of trading for hotel stays (and they have a lot of them) and trading power in RCI.

If buying from developer than you are going to pay alot more $$$ and get what many on this site believe are not significant benefits (i.e ability to trade for hotel stays when not using TS or can't use TS or want to go where there isn't a TS).

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not only do I agree with Brian about buying DVC to use not to trade, I would go so far as to say that DVC should only be bought if you must stay on site. If you are happy with the many alternatives in Orlando, then DVC is not a good purchase.

Last edited:

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Not only to I agree with Brian about buying DVC to use not to trade, I would go so far as to say that DVC should only be bought if you must stay on site. If you are happy with the many alternatives in Orlando, then DVC is not a good purchase.

Yep. I agree, DVC is for the onsite diehard. It's just too much to buy in along with the maintenance fees to trade it on a regular basis. Plus, with DVC you can't be a full member of RCI or II (former exchange company for DVC) to take advantage of any Getaway weeks or Last Call cash deals. A big disadvantage for our family so we ended up downsizing our DVC points and purchasing a couple of other timeshares resale that gave us that privilege. I'd only buy DVC if staying on Disney property was what I intended to do with the points.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend you look at owning the program that gives you the most internal trade options for your target destinations over the next few years. If you are new to the "exchange game", you may find it frustrating to depend on the traditional exchange systems for your travel.

If your home ownership gives you the ability to get your destinations without using the outside exchange systems- it may be easier for you to use. Starwood options would give you more destinations than DVC.

Good luck and enjoy!

GKA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses

Thank you everyone for your valuable responses. We have decided to put our timeshare purchase of DVC on hold and review more options first. We will rent a few weeks to determine best locations and then make a decision.