• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC options for a MVC week owner

wballoni

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean platinum
I'm curious, what are the options for an owner of a good, enrolled, MGO week that wants to stay at a Disney World DVC property? Are there any ways to get into a DVC property with a Marriott week? I'm assuming Interval International (II) might provide options here. Does exchanging the week for points open anything up? Having points be the basis of an exchange might be convenient since I can rent more points if needed. Are there any other exchange options I should know about?

Note, I have never used II so consider me - other than general concepts - clueless on II details. Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but a quick search didn't pull up anything specific on this.

And thanks.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I don't have Marriott Abound, but I do deposit platinum season weeks, all of mine "lockoff" into two deposits. I get two exchange fees for those deposits: one for the studio, one for the one bedroom.

I am very pleased with my trading power of Marriott. If you don't own a unit that locks off, it would be much more costly to do this. I am at $850 or so, per deposit, + $229 exchange fee + $190 Disney fee.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, what are the options for an owner of a good, enrolled, MGO week that wants to stay at a Disney World DVC property? Are there any ways to get into a DVC property with a Marriott week? I'm assuming Interval International (II) might provide options here. Does exchanging the week for points open anything up? Having points be the basis of an exchange might be convenient since I can rent more points if needed. Are there any other exchange options I should know about?

Note, I have never used II so consider me - other than general concepts - clueless on II details. Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but a quick search didn't pull up anything specific on this.

And thanks.
Potentially by exchanging your MGO or buying a trading resort week. I'm not sure if you can rent points then exchange them into II but that's a potential option as well.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
The only option is via II. You can trade your week or points, but I don't think rented points will work.

You may find availability for DVC in II, but it will typically be for Saratoga Spring or Old Key West resorts only (more rarely I heard of Animal Kingdom Villas being available) in smaller units and off season. Those two are the largest DVC resorts and both in the vicinity of Disney Springs. In fact, if I search availability now, I do see some units available at those resorts in April and May mostly studios but also a 1BR at OKW. Maybe people get better stuff via ongoing searches. Marriott has good trading power in II so most effective way is trading a week that can be locked off. I wouldn't trade my NCV 2BR Platinum for a DVC studio. Keep in mind that with the notable exception of Polynesian Villas, which is an all-studio resort, DVC studios are generally smallish (~350-380 sq ft) even compared with MVC guest rooms.

Last edited by a moderator:

wballoni

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Potentially by exchanging your MGO or buying a trading resort week. I'm not sure if you can rent points then exchange them into II but that's a potential option as well.
I don't want to buy anything more for this, going to Disney would be only occasionally. Yeah, sounds like points don't really get me anywhere.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't want to buy anything more for this, going to Disney would be only occasionally. Yeah, sounds like points don't really get me anywhere.
How many points do you get for your MGI week?

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
In general it is better to use a week in II than to elect the week for club points and then use the elected club points in II. Most of my weeks pull inventory that would need twice the club points that I get if I used club points.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
Friendly Reminder: TUG policy is to post exchange company sightings in the Sightings Forum - it's a benefit of TUG membership.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get 5025 for the MGO platinum week.
Thats a lot 🥳 . You need to do a bit of homework on what you can get in II with the club points for that.
Sorry I don't know if you can lock-off and deposit to II, if you can then that's worth looking at too.
You can log on to your II account and search against the Abound placeholder for resort codes DVO and DSS and see how many units you can get for your election value. I usually select the 7000 points box on the table that comes up, that way you see everything available and it doesn't commit you to anything.

wballoni

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thats a lot 🥳 . You need to do a bit of homework on what you can get in II with the club points for that.
Sorry I don't know if you can lock-off and deposit to II, if you can then that's worth looking at too.
You can log on to your II account and search against the Abound placeholder for resort codes DVO and DSS and see how many units you can get for your election value. I usually select the 7000 points box on the table that comes up, that way you see everything available and it doesn't commit you to anything.
Unfortunately, no lock-offs at MGO.

I find II rather difficult to navigate. Can you lead me a little more by the nose in searching II for Disney? My first attempt seems to be leading down the path to an exchange in order to see what would be available. Not ready for that yet. I'm just curious what I might be able to get for an exchange.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
My first attempt seems to be leading down the path to an exchange in order to see what would be available. Not ready for that yet. I'm just curious what I might be able to get for an exchange.
Be brave, you can search without having to exchange and commit.... I prefer the website so here you go... Message me via TUG if you need further clarification.
Log on to your II account
From the home page, select exchange, then select My Units.
Find the placeholder for Abound by Marriott Vacation, select "Vacation Exchange". This does not commit you to anything....honestly
Click on the 7000 points number in the table. Still no commitment
In the search parameters select the Resort code button, if it isn't selected already.
In the box put DSS, DVO Note the comma between the codes
Select Earliest travel date as today and latest travel date as 2-years from now
Select 2 Adults and 0 children, just so you see everything.
Press continue
This should return search results for both resorts with dates in April and May, studios and 1-beds. At the moment there are no 2-beds available they do come up. The number of points shown will be the club points you need to book them.
You can click on Exchange next to any of the weeks to see info on the resort and the associated fees. Still not committing to anything! As long as you don't enter payment inf for the exchange fee or confirm the transaction, you haven't committed to anything.

To do a wider search, instead of selecting the resort code button after you select the 7000points, select al destinations. Then you can explore all that is available.

For further assistance treat yourself to the $15 TUG membership and that will give you access to the sightings forum, which has a specific DVC exchange thread, and get the power of TUG helping you with your search 🥳

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
You can always buy a resale platinum week for under $3,000, maybe even under $2,000 that locks into the two units. No one is advising you to buy developer. I only own Marriott/ Westin/ Sheraton resale. My developer purchases were a long time ago and definitely not high-end resorts.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You could always rent an exchange into DVC resorts on RW:

These are just the one and two bedrooms for rent at OKW, and yes, they are exchanges.

pinetree1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought that any exchange weeks could not be rented per Interval or Redweek policies.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought that any exchange weeks could not be rented per Interval or Redweek policies.
This is very true. Neither company allows exchanges to be rented, but Redweek will not verify an exchange. Redweek has a checkbox to check when you list a week that says, "This is not an exchange..." or something like that. But people check it (basically lie) and go ahead with the listing.

I did pay to have my 7 nights in a studio just before Christmas verified and protected.

II has rules against renting exchanges as well. Both companies' rules are being ignored.

II used to have a fraud department to stop the rentals of II exchanges, but I think they are overwhelmed with the task of stopping it. Redweek does everything they can possibly do.

As soon as the recent 2 bedrooms for May disappeared from II, I checked RW and found a bunch of 2 bedrooms listed. I wouldn't care, except I do rent OKW quite often, especially December 5-7 nights at time. If II drops 1 and 2 bedrooms for December and RW has listings for cheap prices, I am not going to rent mine. It's hurting DVC owners. But some on TUG believe I am exaggerating. Right.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get 5025 for the MGO platinum week.
I am speaking here just from what I have seen in general inventory in the past. No current sightings. I have never requested DVC.
Your problem with exchanging points on II will likely not be how many points you have but rather that few 2BR DVC units are deposited and then it is usually key west or saratoga.
Most are deposited about 3 months ahead.
I suspect these are being deposited by DVC.
I have read opinions on the II boards that DVC owners would be unlikely to deposit in II, especially larger units because they could rent them for more that the value of what they would exchange into.

If you are only looking to go to Disney occasionally it might be worthwhile to just pay for it- book what you want. You could rent your MGO to help finance.
In addition to what Hindsite wrote you can not only search without depositing you can also ‘request first’ before depositing and the week/ points remain in you MVC account until your request is confirmed. You can cancel your request anytime and you are free to use your week/points yourself if you don’t exchange.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
DVC owners do not choose and deposit specific weeks. They exchange only with points. DVC chooses all backing deposits to balance the books.
Plus they decide what is deposited including unit size and resort. They are not required to deposit the same resort or unit size as the points originated with. Therefore most deposits are smaller units at OKW & SSR.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
DVC owners do not choose and deposit specific weeks. They exchange only with points. DVC chooses all backing deposits to balance the books.
Good to know, thanks.
The posts I have seen say DVC owner rarely choose II- do you agree?
And then I’m guessing DVC chooses to deposit Saratoga and Key west.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highland Inn
DVC Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Good to know, thanks.
And then I’m guessing DVC chooses to deposit Saratoga and Key west.

Yes the DVC owner rarely deposits into II. Even if they are not savvy about renting, they can list with a broker and get >$3000/wk, depending on what they rent, for almost zero effort.

Also- many DVC owners earnestly believe that they do not own a timeshare (they’re in a “club”) and they don’t trust timeshares and are doubtful that any exchange into a one would be acceptable. Exchanging to many DVC owners is just not a very appealing concept.

wuv pooh

TUG Member
Reaction score
No. Last time they were in II I got a 2bd every year I wanted one. I got a 2bd last year and they were still filling RCI deposits. If people were depositing into RCI they will definitely deposit into II and there are 2x the resorts/owners than there used to be. You just have to look regularly:

BDN,DWL,CWA,DAK,DAA,BCV,DBW,DVO,DPA,DRA,DSS

Follow the sightings and do your own searches and you will pretty quickly learn the deposit schedule.