• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC /Hotel Chain comparison

benjaminb13

Reaction score
Just like their Hotels - Hyatt quality is up there- I thought at first it was too aloof and way out of my league- until I realized that resale it is affordable- So i went for it-

Same thing happened to me- from Marriott to HGVC to Hyatt- I think HGVC?HYATT combo is a good one--

If you mean the price for 2000 HYATT pointsI would say 16000-18000 - Like I was advised--- I wouldnt get less than 1880 points-

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am glad at least one person agrees with my DVC analysis. I got tarred and feathered last year when I posted a similar opinion on DISboards last year. I really love DVC and used to own over 1,000 points, but financing is not a smart financial move when you can rent cheaper.
Whether buying DVC or considering renting, what's reasonable depends on your situation. For some it is better to rent, for many others, it's better to buy.

Always wanted to buy dVC- But Never could justify another long flight to Orlando- SO I chose to be more conventional and travel to Hawaii instead-
Some of you are fortunate enough to own both
Now with DVC coming to California and possibly Hawaii in the future---an objective comparison between the newer dVC resorts- WL, SSR and aKV and the more conventional Hotel Chain resorts- (Hyatt, Starwood HGVC and marriott). would be great info
I only know DVC and Marriott well enough to contrast them. Overall I'd say they're very comparable on quality though Marriott has a few lessor properties compared to DVC and is thus more variable from a quality standpoint. DVC works on points and is very user friendly for MOST situations. Most Marriott's are floating weeks and you must reserve a full week with some VERY LIMITED exceptions. Both are expensive and how you actually use it will determine how the costs compare between DVC and Marriott. For a full week's use in a 2 BR at most top resorts DVC is about 30% more expensive and about 30% higher fees on average. If you can take advantage of some of the flexibility such as S-F stays, DVC becomes a fair amount less expensive and actually cheaper than most mid to top end Marriott's. Locations are a big issue, where do you want to go? The other issue is how you'll use it, for trading to other resorts, Marriott is a MUCH better choice in most situations though ANY high end, high demand ownership generally is not a good choice for exchanging if $$$ are part of your equation.

To me it's not an either or. I think one of the best ownership options is a small to mid size DVC contract, an EOY Marriott to use and an appropriate EOY Marriott more oriented for trading. With both EOY being the same EOY orientation (odd or even) as the one you use. The reality is that finding EOY units are tougher, esp at a good price so you'd frequently have to decide whether to buy EY and possibly rent off years for a high end option. Done correctly, this decreases one of the main problems with the Marriott system, that of getting high demand week reservations.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Thats really helpful- saving 7 days of car rental 600.00 --- makes WDW orlando more attractive-to this Californian- I really want to check out AKV-
ill probably plan an exchange - once Carmel get s the new "private exchange group going"- Hes the one guy who can get it done-

Wow... you are paying $600 to rent a car. No offense but that is way too much money. On our kast trip over the Christmas/New Year Eve Holday we paid about $250 for 7 nights. We used ME to get to from the hotel/airport and then, we rented our car from Hertz. Also, found renting at the airport costs a lot more than renting elsewhere especially in Florida.

There are lots of coupons out there from Costco, Sam's Club, hotwire, priceline, entertainment book, etc..... Also, I find that if you don't rent a mini-van in Florida you'll pay way less for the car. Mini-vans are very popular there. We usally go with oversized mid-size car and have lots of room.

Another thing about DVC you need to remember that it isn't really good trade out to anywhere. So, you have to love Disney so much that you'll want to spend majority of your vacations there. Marriott is definitely better for trading as Dean says except I don't find Hawaii weeks a good trade. I rent my Hawaii week if I'm not going to use it. Now, the part of staying Sun through Thurs is a waste for people from the West Coast. I don't like changing rooms mid trip but that just me Some people save points by reserving Sun through Thrus and then, either move to a value resort or pay cash for their room. I'm a pay for the entire stay on points because I don't have the opportunity to save those points for quick weekend getaways to WDW. Saving points for 2 trips a year isn't feasible for me. At some point, you have to use your points or you lose them.

You can rent DVC points to check it out. Just check out the disboards.com and you'll find a rent board over there.

benjaminb13

Reaction score
OOps youre right it sUV 12 days--in Hawaii- not 7 -
I need to get a handle on my finances- b4 these timeshares drown me once and for all-LOL

benjaminb13

Reaction score
Whether buying DVC or considering renting, what's reasonable depends on your situation. For some it is better to rent, for many others, it's better to buy.

I only know DVC and Marriott well enough to contrast them. Overall I'd say they're very comparable on quality though Marriott has a few lessor properties compared to DVC and is thus more variable from a quality standpoint. DVC works on points and is very user friendly for MOST situations. Most Marriott's are floating weeks and you must reserve a full week with some VERY LIMITED exceptions. Both are expensive and how you actually use it will determine how the costs compare between DVC and Marriott. For a full week's use in a 2 BR at most top resorts DVC is about 30% more expensive and about 30% higher fees on average. If you can take advantage of some of the flexibility such as S-F stays, DVC becomes a fair amount less expensive and actually cheaper than most mid to top end Marriott's. Locations are a big issue, where do you want to go? The other issue is how you'll use it, for trading to other resorts, Marriott is a MUCH better choice in most situations though ANY high end, high demand ownership generally is not a good choice for exchanging if $$$ are part of your equation.

To me it's not an either or. I think one of the best ownership options is a small to mid size DVC contract, an EOY Marriott to use and an appropriate EOY Marriott more oriented for trading. With both EOY being the same EOY orientation (odd or even) as the one you use. The reality is that finding EOY units are tougher, esp at a good price so you'd frequently have to decide whether to buy EY and possibly rent off years for a high end option. Done correctly, this decreases one of the main problems with the Marriott system, that of getting high demand week reservations.

Marriott is almost scary with their reservation system-
Im purchaseing plat NCV annual- and hope I get to reserve the dates I need

Interesting info Dean-

Let me see if I understand- If an owner owns 2 eOYs instead of just one floating unit- Hell probably pay a similar price and MFs- but get the added advantage - of booking at 11 or 12 mos which guarantees almost always getting the reservation date needed

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott is almost scary with their reservation system- Let me see if I understand- If an owner owns 2 eOYs instead of just one floating unit- Hell probably pay a similar price and MFs- but get the added advantage - of booking at 11 or 12 mos which guarantees almost always getting the reservation date needed
Single week reservations are 12 months out from the Fri start date. Multiple week reservations are 13 months out from the FIRST week or concurrent or consecutive weeks. If you own a lockoff trader and 2 BR week to use, you can actually reserve up to 13.5 months out by locking off and using the trading units to lead into the real reservation. Obviously that means you want week where you can reserve them together.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Because of the new forum setup, I'm bumping several threads (non-starwood & non-HGVC info) thread to the top.