• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC access to RCI??

jjluhman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello!

My sister owns DVC, that she bought when they were still affiliated with II. She does not know much about RCI and has never used them. Is there a way for her to access rentals in RCI, like I can book getaways in II?

Thanks for your help!

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Sorry -- but the answer is No. The individual DVC member does not have a relationship with RCI as you have with II.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let her know about SFX. She can deposit a week with SFX and get bonus weeks and getaways and stuff like that. Not many DVC owners know they can deposit with SFX and maybe get Marriott poperties, and Hyatt's and other II properties. She will need to give up a one week DVC reservation in at least a one bedroom, but she will get something very nice in return.

jjluhman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great! Thank you!!
Does she choose a week and specific location with DVC or do they choose that when she tells them that she wants to deposit into SFX?

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
She picks, but SFX will only accept certain weeks. For Orlando, I would think just about any week will do but SFX will most likely not take a one bedroom in low season at Hilton Head. Probably best to call SFX and ask, they are very helpful and will explain the system. Basically, SFX only deals in high end properties and high demand weeks, but it is still just as hard to get a super week from SFX as it is from II or RCI, just you have access to all the good properties, regardless if they only trade via RCI or II.

www.sfx-resorts.com

Good luck. I like SFX, but certain people have all the luck in that system and others just do okay. Bonus weeks are a pretty good deal through SFX.

jjluhman

TUG Member
Reaction score
jdunn1 -

Thank you, I will pass that information along to her.

Do you think that I would have luck getting a Vero Beach 2Br during the summer from them as a Gold member if I deposited my Marriott Ocean Pointe Prime Season Week?

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a tough one. From my limited experience, most DVC deposits are one bedroom in SFX. Same thing is true of any weeks that can be locked-off. Since a one bedroom costs far fewer points than a two bedroom, most people only deposit one bedrooms. Too bad you do not have access to RCI because if you did, you could almost bank on getting a summer Vero Beach week, especially if you are trading into DVC with WorldMark points.

I love Vero Beach, by the way. But, isn't Ocean Pointe much nicer?

jdunn1 -

Thank you, I will pass that information along to her.

Do you think that I would have luck getting a Vero Beach 2Br during the summer from them as a Gold member if I deposited my Marriott Ocean Pointe Prime Season Week?

Last edited:

jjluhman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ocean Pointe is AWESOME, and we LOVE it there!

We are traveling with little ones now and would like to try a Disney location on the beach. We figure that while they are still little they would enjoy the Disney theme. We try to to go to different resorts each year, and I am trying to figure out how to get to Disney & Ron Jon Caribe without being an RCI member!:ponder:

You and I seem to keep crossing paths on this board lately!:hi:

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
How funny. I just realized what we have been doing.

I think we both know what the good resorts are. Vero Beach is probably my favorite DVC resort, aside from Grand Californian. Hilton Head is very nice, but not being on the beach is a bummer, but then again being able to walk to so much from the resort is neat, too.

I heard from a couple tugger's who have gotten into Disney's Hilton Head via SFX for the summer. All one bedrooms, though. SFX would definately be the cheapest way in, but RCI is a sure bet, and if you have the right tradder (i.e. WorldMark) it can be relatively inexpensive, too. The only other option I can think of is renting or trading with a DVC member but renting is really expensive and DVC owners do not like to trade out, in my experience.

If you call SFX, they will tell you how likely a certain exchange might be.

Good luck, and I will look for your posts more often, now.

-Jim

We are traveling with little ones now and would like to try a Disney location on the beach. We figure that while they are still little they would enjoy the Disney theme. We try to to go to different resorts each year, and I am trying to figure out how to get to Disney & Ron Jon Caribe without being an RCI member!:ponder:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

I am not sure where Ocean Pointe is or how desirable the location, but you could consider trying to organize a private exchange into VB in the TUG marketplace.

I think you certainly might get VB through SFX, but I would not count on it. Your best luck would likely be naming multiple resorts and many weeks, I think you are more likely to be disappointed if you only have a single resort on your list. SFX likely gets occassional VB deposits, nowhere near the regularity of the RCI deposits. As a DVC owner, I can tell you a peak season VB 2BR costs 321 DVC points and those points would rent for $3200. Most of SFXs inventory can be rented for less than $3200, so your typical DVC owner would rent their pts out over depositing with SFX. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that it's not the most logical thing for a DVC owner to deposit with SFX.

I know as well it has been stated that SFX only gets the best resorts and weeks, it would be a place to get a Hyatt for example. As a Hyatt owner, I can tell you depositing in SFX is nowhere near as good of a value for a Hyatt as an Interval deposit. For example, my gold week is worth 1880 Hyatt points. An interval red week 1BR "costs" me 870 points and II gives me a bonus week for each week at just the cost of the exchange. So that's 4 1BR weeks for 4 exchange fees (no interval membership, that's included in the Hyatt dues), or about $680 in exchange fees plus 140 points left that I can save in Interval until the following year.

With SFX, I must first book a 1BR high season week in the Hyatt system, which costs me more points, around 1360. For that I get one 1BR exchange, plus a variable number of bonus weeks (up to 7) at a variable per week cost (say $350 on average). So for four 1BR weeks, my cost is 1 exchange fee plus 3 x $350 bonus week fees or a total of $1230.

The only point I am making is that for your typical Hyatt owner, it makes more sense to deposit in II. The Hyatt SFX deposits will be much less common- really limited to Hyatt owners who want something SFX specializes in, folks that have a beef with II or people who don't really care about maximizing value.

I have been accused of SFX bashing in the past and I by no means am bashing them. I am just pointing out the reasons why certain types of deposits are probably less common in SFX- they don't make as much sense for the owners as other options those owners might have. I myself have deposited a Hyatt unit in SFX, but it is extraordinarily unlikely that I would ever deposit a DVC.

H

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you plan on doing much exchanging at all (even one exchange every other year), you're probably FAR better off doing one of two things:

1) Rent out your DVC unit and use the proceeds to rent what you want.

2) Buy a more economical trader to use in RCI (or whatever exchange company or companies you want to use).

DVC is VERY expensive (upfront and MFs), and is one of the worst values (to exchange out of, not in to) with any exchange company.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
the dvc has value. Either use it or rent it, if ur not going to consistently do this, then sell it, and buy something more econmical for tradng purposes.

Last edited:

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally as a DVC owner at Vero Beach would I reserve a week and deposit it in SFX:hysterical: . The MF's alone would stop me, but we love VB and if I skip a year and bank, I'll just book a bigger unit the next year.

I have used SFX in the past with my *wood ski week and while I got my trade, I could have easily done the same in II, plus I get the *wood preference.

SFX is in a big push for more east coast resorts, I have listed my Wyndham Old Town Alexandria points on my membership. They have been calling frequently. As with Heathpack and her Hyatt unit, it doesn't make sense to me to deposit. I'll use my points in system, I can point pool and while I'm not a huge RCI fan I can get a prime 2br unit for less points in RCI, than booking a OTA 2br to give to SFX.

And I would guess a majority of DVC'ers have never heard of SFX to start with.

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Hmmm ... is it just me? I read the OP's post as interest in accessing rental inventory not interest in exchanging. How did this thread drift so far into exchange topics?

jjluhman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmm ... is it just me? I read the OP's post as interest in accessing rental inventory not interest in exchanging. How did this thread drift so far into exchange topics?

You are correct- I was asking for my sister who does not use TUG. But, further into the thread I asked about trying to exchange for DVC Vero Beach with my Marriott II week through SFX.

Two separate ownerships, and two entirely different questions. Sorry to confuse!

I LOVE my Marriott ownership and have no desire to sell. My sister is less than happy with her DVC ownership and may explore getting rid of it.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My sister is less than happy with her DVC ownership and may explore getting rid of it.
Ah, thanks -- that explains siesta's comment regarding DVC: "either use it, rent it or sell it." I missed the context for that post.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score

SFX has rental weeks, too. They are on the sell off list.

EDIT TO ADD: as far as trading DVC into SFX, not the best value. For example, with my VGC points ($1100.MFs), I can only book a one bedroom in the slowest DVC season. That week would also be SFX's lowest trading power. So, basically, I could deposit VGC and get a junky exchange in return for my $1100.MFs + the exchange fee. Talk about an OUCH!

Last edited:

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
I LOVE my Marriott ownership and have no desire to sell. My sister is less than happy with her DVC ownership and may explore getting rid of it.

Curious as to why your sister is not happy with her DVC Ownership? DVC resales prices are way down right now, so its very likly she'll take a large loss if she sales. Has she constidered doing a direct trade. Many of us here have been able to trade our DVC points with other tuggers to have access to some very nice properties. I myself will be going to Marriott Timberlodge in 2013 care of a trade with a Marriott owner who wants to take his family to Aulani. Send me a PM if you'd like more details.

jjluhman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Curious as to why your sister is not happy with her DVC Ownership? DVC resales prices are way down right now, so its very likly she'll take a large loss if she sales. Has she constidered doing a direct trade. Many of us here have been able to trade our DVC points with other tuggers to have access to some very nice properties. I myself will be going to Marriott Timberlodge in 2013 care of a trade with a Marriott owner who wants to take his family to Aulani. Send me a PM if you'd like more details.

Her first issue was the switch from II to RCI. Her major problem is that she did not do enough research about what would work for her situation when she purchased. She sees how much I am able to travel with my 1 Marriott week and is frustrated. She does not like that she does not have direct access to an exchange company, and she did not buy enough points to begin with. She does not like staying in the DVC timeshare properties on WDW either. She has never stayed at Bay Lake Towers so that may change her opinion.
Bottom line really is that she did not purchase what would work for her family.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Her first issue was the switch from II to RCI. Her major problem is that she did not do enough research about what would work for her situation when she purchased. She sees how much I am able to travel with my 1 Marriott week and is frustrated. She does not like that she does not have direct access to an exchange company, and she did not buy enough points to begin with. She does not like staying in the DVC timeshare properties on WDW either. She has never stayed at Bay Lake Towers so that may change her opinion.
Bottom line really is that she did not purchase what would work for her family.

There are very cheap ways into RCI if her only purpose is to rent from them. She could purchase a triennial unit at Grandview with a MF of say $114 a year that would allow her access to rentals and an occasional trade in RCI. Of course she could just rent units from RCI thru their public rental sites as well if her only goal is cheap rentals.

Being points poor in DVC is quite frustrating. :( I live constantly borrowing ahead as well. She might try doing a direct exchange with someone. On Mouseowners she can post a trade wanted. Might get some takers.

I know someone who owns Bluegreen who is looking to do a direct exchange. Maybe someone like that could trade a DVC ressie for a BG/RCI ressie or a straight BG ressie. I believe that BG also trades in II so they could do a BG/II ressie as well. There are many ways to get creative with DVC trading. People are always looking for DVC access and wanting to work with an owner over RCI since it's more of a sure thing as to getting exactly what they want.

Another source of cheap DVC Vero rentals is ebay. Unfortunately alot of RCI units are ending up on ebay. :annoyed: DVC doesn't seem to be putting a stop to it so I'd check there as well.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are very cheap ways into RCI if her only purpose is to rent from them. She could purchase a triennial unit at Grandview with a MF of say $114 a year that would allow her access to rentals and an occasional trade in RCI.
I was actually coming here to post the same thing. It would end up being closer to $250 per year because she would have the annual RCI membership fees as well, but it could be worth it. Some of the Extra Vacation sales are pretty cheap.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I was actually coming here to post the same thing. It would end up being closer to $250 per year because she would have the annual RCI membership fees as well, but it could be worth it. Some of the Extra Vacation sales are pretty cheap.

Yes you're right I was forgetting the RCI membership fees. :p

Still for use as a travel club, if you do a few rentals a year from RCI, it's still worth it IMO. Before I began trading I almost exclusively used RCI for last calls and the 7500 RCI points deals. Of course now I'm spoiled and have raised my standards a bit. ;)

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Before I began trading I almost exclusively used RCI for last calls and the 7500 RCI points deals. Of course now I'm spoiled and have raised my standards a bit. ;)
Utilizing Extra Vacations and Last Call was my big plan when I joined RCI, but I quickly discovered that I can get into considerably better places for comparable prices (sometimes more, sometimes less) with exchanges, cheap TPUs, flexibility and advance planning.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Utilizing Extra Vacations and Last Call was my big plan when I joined RCI, but I quickly discovered that I can get into considerably better places for comparable prices (sometimes more, sometimes less) with exchanges, cheap TPUs, flexibility and advance planning.

You said it better than me but same here.:p
I just love the thrill of the deal. :whoopie: