• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DRI and I.I. change points requirements for exchange!

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I've just been reading a thread OY and thought I'd better post this information here as well.

Without notifying owners, DRI has changed how the points are calculated for exhange with I.I. Now, not only are they tied to resort quality (economy, moderate, premium) but they're ALSO tied to I.I.'s demand index.

Looking at a 2 bedroom exchange through I.I. at a premium resort, points requirements run from low demand (50 - 85) 4,000 points, mid-demand (90 -110) 6,000 points, high demand (115 - 135) 7,000 points and peak demand (140 - 150) 9,000 points.

Corresponding changes affect all sizes from studio units to four bedroom units. Best to look carefully before deciding when and where you want to go.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
the trend is all wrong

That favorable points to exchange value was one of the few really compelling values left in THE CLUB system. With that also changing I start to wonder more and more if it is worth remaining in THE CLUB. Escalating fees, unwanted "bonuses" like the worthless II premium (or whatever t's called - who cares?) and now diminished value for II trades. A perfect trifecta of bad moves. This may be my last year to renew in THE CLUB.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
That favorable points to exchange value was one of the few really compelling values left in THE CLUB system. With that also changing I start to wonder more and more if it is worth remaining in THE CLUB. Escalating fees, unwanted "bonuses" like the worthless II premium (or whatever t's called - who cares?) and now diminished value for II trades. A perfect trifecta of bad moves. This may be my last year to renew in THE CLUB.

It really makes me mad that I got sucked into S. Cloobeck's hype. Instead of getting out when the getting was good in the Devbuyback program, I held onto my ownerships AND joined THE Club. I should have remembered that he has a sales background when making my decisions.

Fortunately, for us this won't be as bad as it could be. We haven't been asking for all that much with our DRI ownership and, my plans for our 2009 points was to exchange for extra vacations to Branson that would most likely end up being short stays. Branson is a relative bargain in that most weeks only require 6,000 points. So, if I don't expect much or ask for much, I'll save 500 points per exchange.

Of course the key phrase there is not expecting or asking for much. When those words enter into timeshares, you ownership have been devalued. Essentially your adimtting to owning something less desirable in the I.I. exchange system.

Last edited:

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like a good change to me. The only issue is during periods of peak demand. Otherwise, you could be saving points. Mid range demand is 6000 points instead of 7000 points. If you go during a period of low demand it is only 4000 points. It seems reasonable and will create greater opportunities for getting the exchange you want at the point value that you want. For example, less people will be competing for peak demand exchanges.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
What The Timeshare Sellers Told Us.

It looks like a good change to me. The only issue is during periods of peak demand. Otherwise, you could be saving points. Mid range demand is 6000 points instead of 7000 points. If you go during a period of low demand it is only 4000 points. It seems reasonable and will create greater opportunities for getting the exchange you want at the point value that you want. For example, less people will be competing for peak demand exchanges.
That makes sense, in a semi-odd kind of way.

Even though I'm still no fan of T.H.E. Club or its predecessor Club SunTerra, 1 of their timeshare sellers a few years ago told us what would happen if the point-value requirements for club reservations should ever change.

He opened the book to a representative points chart for 1 of the club timeshares & said that if the points it takes for 1 of the reservation categories went up, then 1 or more of the other categories would go down correspondingly so that the column totals would remain constant.

He said that was a matter of fine-tuning supply & demand from season to season, rather than diminishing the overall value of club member's points.

I don't know if his explanation was completely forthright & accurate, but I did note that his lips were moving at the time.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

For those of us that travel off season or shoulder season, your right. But it's not hard for the any area that's not overbuilt to reach that demand index of 115, which pushes the points required to 7,000 rather than 6,500 for a 2 bedroom unit.

For families that must travel during the summer months, it's not going to be hard to hit the 7,000 or even 9,000 point requirement. I see far more higher point requirements for summer months when families can travel without taking the kids out of school. Holiday's are also going to ding families with kids. Remember the demand index only has to be 115 or above for the knife to cut the wrong way. There's a LOT of weeks that fit that catagory.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
That makes sense, in a semi-odd kind of way.

Even though I'm still no fan of T.H.E. Club or its predecessor Club SunTerra, 1 of their timeshare sellers a few years ago told us what would happen if the point-value requirements for club reservations should ever change.

He opened the book to a representative points chart for 1 of the club timeshares & said that if the points it takes for 1 of the reservation categories went up, then 1 or more of the other categories would go down correspondingly so that the column totals would remain constant.

He said that was a matter of fine-tuning supply & demand from season to season, rather than diminishing the overall value of club member's points.

I don't know if his explanation was completely forthright & accurate, but I did note that his lips were moving at the time.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

There are bargains but, you pretty much have to travel off season or, enjoy the over developed locations that have far to much supply for the demand. Orlando from week 18 to week 50 is a bargain now. Branson, on the other hand, is more expensive if you need weeks 22 thru 31 (that's June, July and the first week of August). Las Vegas is also a bargain except for week 9-14 and a few intermintant weeks (how about that new Westgate resort for fewer DRI points?). Williamsburg, surprisingly, is NO bargain for weeks 13 - 43. That pretty much covers all of the Spring, Summer and Fall weeks and Williamsburg is supposedly one of the more overdeveloped area's around.

Hmm, having looked at this, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I should say, Orlando in the summer and hurricane season is a bargain but, everything else is going to cost you more unless you enjoy mud season.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I will have to see how this plays out. If I find I can get where I want to go for 2000 extra points when I couldn't do it before that would be good. Its too soon to tell. I usually try to travel in shoulder seasons.

As a deeded owner, I can opt out of this deal at some point and probably just trade through RCI, or SFX.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I look at exchanging into DVC (a 2 bedroom unit)in Hilton Head, for May 2009 for 6000 points. That is not bad in the exchange world. But we travel off season.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I travel in off season I could get almost 4 weeks of vacation for my week and one/half. I could definitely do three weeks using two off season weeks and one prime (not peak) week. That would be 4000, 4000, and 6000 or 7000.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Personally, I will have to see how this plays out. If I find I can get where I want to go for 2000 extra points when I couldn't do it before that would be good. Its too soon to tell. I usually try to travel in shoulder seasons.

As a deeded owner, I can opt out of this deal at some point and probably just trade through RCI, or SFX.

You still have faith in DRI. I've dealt with them for 10 years. If this really works out well for owners, it will be a first.

Fortunately you're still a deeded owner and still have choices. I feel for the owners who opted for one of DRI's Trust programs and don't have the option to opt out of DRI's point program if/when it gets to be such a bad deal it's no longer worth the price of admission.