• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Draining the HHV Lagoon

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

Other TUGgers probably know this, but I just saw this today. The Lagoon at HHV had been drained down to a low level this morning and at sunrise they were refilling the Lagoon.

They also had a tractor dragging the beach to keep the sand pristine.

I knew the Lagoon used to have a reputation for being a little nasty, but I was very impressed by the drain/refill and the water quality appears excellent.

Just passing along the observation...

Best,

Greg

HatTrick

Reaction score
Hey Greg,

While HHV has always "groomed" the sand daily, I don't think draining the lagoon is done very often.

"The renovated lagoon features a state-of-the-art water circulation system with seven saltwater wells 195-250 feet below the surface of the ocean that draw in about 15,000 gallons of water per minute from the ocean, helping to turn over the lagoon's crystal clear water about five times a day." -- gohawaii.about.com

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The Lagoon at HHV had been drained down to a low level this morning and at sunrise they were refilling the Lagoon.... I was very impressed by the drain/refill and the water quality appears excellent.

Maybe they were looking for missing guests.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

They drained it again yesterday -- but HatTrick's information is interesting that the water recirculates 5 times per day -- so they must be draining it to facilitate the sand grooming....

Best,

Greg

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at HHV for 5 days back at the beginning of December. On the 3rd morning the lagoon was obviously drained by at least 1/2. When we came back just before lunch you could see it was almost back up to it's normal level. I think the "draining" of the lagoon takes place more often than guests are aware of. The water in the lagoon felt a bit cooler than it did off Waikiki beach but the more graduated entry was a big plus especially for paddle boarding.

jestme

Reaction score
We were there in January, and at first the lagoon had a greenish tinge on the bottom of it in the middle. They drained it then too, and there was maintenance staff on the small island as well. The green went away. They may be trying to eliminate the green by doing this. It could also be that the water system is currently not working right, and this is a stop gap measure until they fix it properly.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One of the things that struck me this trip was how much they use the lagoon.

I mean, it is packed with people this trip - paddle boarders, snorkelers, people on floats - its like a really really big pool.

Thinking about the long term expansion, I bet Hilton is counting on significant usage of this lagoon to remove pressue on the pools - even though expansion is planned for the pools also.

I walked over to where Tower 1 will be built and its remote, but not too far. Tower 2 I still can't fathom because I can't visualize it -- and it seems like it will thwart Kalia's nice views.

Interesting stuff - and this is a great property.

I went to the sales center (but didn't get the pitch) just to see what they were promoting - and on the way down asked the sales lady (coming off her shift) if she ever thought we'd get a Caribbean property.

Her response was that current sales is focused on the Asian customer -- she didn't answer the question directly, but I read that as Caribbean isn't a priority.

Perhaps HGVC will absorb an existing property and do something opportunistic, we will see.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the things that struck me this trip was how much they use the lagoon.

I mean, it is packed with people this trip - paddle boarders, snorkelers, people on floats - its like a really really big pool.

I love all the activity in the new and improved lagoon. For years the lagoon was stinky and gross. Sometimes I would take the long way around to the beach just so I didn't have to walk past it.

I know it's been renovated for several years now but I still appreciate it.:)