• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Don't be jealous - but we are taking a trip

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
I did some campting in my former lifetime.
These days, my idea of camping is a Hampton Inn.
Sorry, but my old bones prefer creature comforts.

I'm with you, Talent. DH & I were Boy & Girl Scouts who camped, then when our kids were little we bought a big ol' Coleman tent which we camped in for a decade. After that it was a small used travel trailer for several years.

But for the last quarter century plus it's been timeshares, condos and hotels. Just as with "camping" we have graduated with our hotel choices- X'd off my list are Motel 6, Days Inn, Ramada and Red Roof. We try to stick with Hilton branded properties with Hampton Inns our go-to lodging when traveling.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
How awesome! Go and have fun!! I would never be jealous of another TUGGER that is getting to get out of town for a little bit - especially for something like camping! Enjoy yourself and post many pictures so we can all live vicariously through you!

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Are you going to Valley Center? I saw that on the news last night. I was totally jonesing to go there when I saw it, lol.

We have a membership to a private campground near Julian. I've been meaning to check with them to see if they are open at all. I suspect that they are. We have our own trailer, so camping would be very self contained. I've been thinking about scheduling something. I really need to get on that before places start getting busy.

We drove through Ocotillo a few weeks ago and saw a private campground that was open called Stagecoach. It was almost completely dead, but there were a few (you could count on one hand) campers. My husband said it was so nice and peaceful and we should stay there sometime. I had a feeling that it was normally packed and I asked in the store if it's usually packed and was told yes, it's usually full to the brim and not anything close to peaceful, lol.

I'm still hoping I can do something with my daughters in July. We were going to go to Vancouver, but never even got to the planning phase before Covid hit. I've been checking for places to open like Yosemite and even just something basic like 17 mile drive... trying to find something we can drive to and that will be relatively self contained and trying to predict what won't be crowded, yet will be open.
I didn't know that there was something in Valley Center. I will have to look that up. No, the county opened their campgrounds so we are going to Wm Heise in Julian, of all things. I'm hoping that it doesn't get hot because that is the one thing that I won't do is camp in the heat - and we're tent camping so whatever temp it is outside is what it will be in the tent. I think that I know the one that you are talking about in Ocotillo. It's so beautiful there (from what I have seen - we haven't camped there).

I know that it may be pricey, but you can rent a place in Yosemite West. In addition to the big houses, there is a small condo complex and those aren't too bad on cost. You have about a 30 min drive into the valley but it's beautiful. If you want to camp, sometimes there is availability in Crane Flat, which again is about 30 outside of the valley, but north of the valley, so you are also 30 min closer to Tuolumne as well.

One other thought. The campgrounds up in Idyllwild are actually pretty nice. I wouldn't hesitate to go there. I just re-thought this. I would hesitate, and especially in the summer. They have a lot of bugs which can be annoying and I hate to say it, they have vault toilets. I can deal with it but I would rather not. The campground that is *in* Idyllwild has flush toilets IIRC.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
If you are a camper, you will understand why I am so excited about this new bit of news. I was just reading an article about opening the campgrounds in the county. I didn't realize this, but when they opened the campgrounds they did it with restrictions. Every other campsite is going to be empty. That means that we will tons of space between us and any neighbors. There will be half the number of campers. This is awesome. Super social distancing.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
we are lucky that our cabin is 2 hours away and is off-grid. Only a few neighbors, folks have anywhere from 20 to 100 acres. Just this year they added a cell tower so no we have cell coverage...I rather liked it when there was none. We do have creature comforts...indoor plumbing and wood stove. It's always nice to get away
Yes its really great to have a cabin/cottage especially now with time share closure. Ours is 2.5 hrs away. Enjoy.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who are you to tell me what to do

I'm jealous

:):):)

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not jealous. Happy for you.
I've been on a couple camping trips, most recently a pop-out tent trailer, so the bed wasn't too bad. Nearby community bathroom facilities were clean. It was a private campground near Big Sur. I was shocked to learn it was $75/night. (I was a guest.)

Since then, my line has been "you couldn't pay me to go"

I'm switching to "how much will you pay me to go?"

geekette

Reaction score
If you are a camper, you will understand why I am so excited about this new bit of news. I was just reading an article about opening the campgrounds in the county. I didn't realize this, but when they opened the campgrounds they did it with restrictions. Every other campsite is going to be empty. That means that we will tons of space between us and any neighbors. There will be half the number of campers. This is awesome. Super social distancing.
That also cuts camp restroom volume in half(ish?)

geekette

Reaction score
Good for you. I’ve already been “travel shamed” by a few people for my SD adventure next week. OH WELL .
??? We have no closed state borders that I'm aware of, nor "don't leave your state" orders. Unless the purpose for your trip is to hug everyone you meet and gather up groups into the hundreds, not sure what "the shamers" are whining about. The snarky side of me wants you to buy postcards and send to shamers. Probably say something like "glad you're not here..."

Go, enjoy. Party poopers can poop their own pools.

geekette

Reaction score
Who remembers pitching a tent and sleeping in your back yard in the summer? Might be time to revive that, a backyard quarantine getaway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
We never did that. I don't think we had tents?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
??? We have no closed state borders that I'm aware of, nor "don't leave your state" orders. Unless the purpose for your trip is to hug everyone you meet and gather up groups into the hundreds, not sure what "the shamers" are whining about. The snarky side of me wants you to buy postcards and send to shamers. Probably say something like "glad you're not here..."

Go, enjoy. Party poopers can poop their own pools.
In Illinois we are not supposed to participate in non-essential travel. So, this has been tossed in my face.

geekette

Reaction score
In Illinois we are not supposed to participate in non-essential travel. So, this has been tossed in my face.
Oh, non-essential. yeah, my county was always "travel advisory" so I have same.

I think plenty of people have made trips out that were not "essential". I include myself in that, as there was one balmy night with a full moon, and I took the car out to cruise the backroads with the sunroof open. Lying on the lounger out back wasn't the same, I needed to feel more In It. I was gone a lousy half hour, less than it would take to get groceries. I'm glad I did, since "balmy" was unusual then, and now, in May, missing!

I'm sure there are people that simply had to leave the cramped house for mental health reasons, or made repeated trips out looking for that one item at the grocery they couldn't find .... (so many stories of product hunts! I did not participate in the scavenger hunts).

I would be tempted to snark back, but would instead just smile and think, right, you Only left home for Truly Essential items, less than once per week.... Let it roll off your back. You did your best to comply all this time, right? That's all that was asked. Shamers can go find something else, someone else, to get all bunched up about. I'm sure they can see far and wide from those very high horses.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo

Tell the naysayers to pound sand.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, non-essential. yeah, my county was always "travel advisory" so I have same.

I think plenty of people have made trips out that were not "essential". I include myself in that, as there was one balmy night with a full moon, and I took the car out to cruise the backroads with the sunroof open. Lying on the lounger out back wasn't the same, I needed to feel more In It. I was gone a lousy half hour, less than it would take to get groceries. I'm glad I did, since "balmy" was unusual then, and now, in May, missing!

I'm sure there are people that simply had to leave the cramped house for mental health reasons, or made repeated trips out looking for that one item at the grocery they couldn't find .... (so many stories of product hunts! I did not participate in the scavenger hunts).

I would be tempted to snark back, but would instead just smile and think, right, you Only left home for Truly Essential items, less than once per week.... Let it roll off your back. You did your best to comply all this time, right? That's all that was asked. Shamers can go find something else, someone else, to get all bunched up about. I'm sure they can see far and wide from those very high horses.

I got DH to take me for a drive one night after dinner. DD said we had to be back before curfew . Curfew? Yep, 9 p.m. In the car, didn’t get out, what’s the harm in that?

So the people going to Chick Fil A three times a day is essential?