• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Donate For A Cause

cassidy

TUG Member
Reaction score
DONATE FOE A CAUSE seems to be a legit operation judging from the conversations I have read. However, they advertise as a "no upfront fee" process. They sent me some forms to fill out and return followed by an email that stated basically that the process had started but nothing would actually be accomplished until I sent them my deed and my payment of $2499. It would then take 8-10 weeks to complete the process. Every piece of advice out there stresses that you should never pay an upfront fee. Could someone explain how this is not an upfront fee situation?

Randy Hartmann

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) it is an upfront fee situation.

2) here is a more common thread about DFC:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98383

it discusses the craziness of a poster paying thousands to unload his timeshare and then trying to scam the IRS by telling them it was worth $13,000 or so...most conversations on TUG are similarly negative.

i haven't seen much on TUG that is positive (although i believe they do at least take title from you for the cash that you convey, so i guess that's something.)

but you'd be better off trying to sell your timeshare on ebay, no question.

3) what does this have to do with timeshares in the western US region?

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... They sent me some forms to fill out and return followed by an email that stated basically that the process had started but nothing would actually be accomplished until I sent them my deed and my payment of $2499 ...

If you are OK with their price. I have seen people offer it in the bargin basement section here on Tugs and get it sold for a lot less potiential problems. I would try offering it hear with what ever you would wish to pay to have someone take it. You would need to identify the timeshare involved etc.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
After I did a thorough evaluation of using DFC to give away my Kingsgate TS, I ended up listing and giving it away here on TUG.

I would not encourage anyone to use DFC based on the information available out here.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont have any trouble doing business with an up front fee company

For example McDonalds is an up front fee company...I place my order, then I pay for my order and then my order is delivered. Over time I have learned to trust McDonalds...almost always my order is delivered exactly as promised.

When I think of an up front fee company in the timeshare business I think its important to distinguish between those that charge a fee and then deliver a service as promised. (like Mc Donalds) ...and those that charge a fee and dont deliver

Donate for a cause is I think in the first category...they deliver

As I understand their business; They will take your $2499 and your timeshare, and sell the timeshare to someone like me for a dollar, Some percentage of the $2500 covers their costs, some goes to the "cause" and some Im sure is a profit...If they offer tax advice

I might not like their business, but I do take advantage of it buy buying from them....and I dont think they are a scam, even though they offer bogus tax advice and want to be paid up front

You would, however, be better off if you donated to a charity of your choice, and paid someone , (anyone, who cares who) to take your timeshare

Last edited:

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... I dont have any trouble doing business with an up front fee company. For example McDonalds is an up front fee company...I place my order, then I pay for my order and then my order is delivered. Over time I have learned to trust McDonalds...almost always my order is delivered exactly as promised.

Good point on McDonalds being an upfront fee company. In my experience, McDonalds was the fast food firm that intruduced the practice of place order, pay for order, get a coke, give no receipt, and ask you to pull forward, then deny they took any order. This occures primarily at ones near interestates. I talked to their people on high on this when when a francise group stated that that is specifically authorized practice by the Coorporate McDonalds. Their position was in agreement with the Francisee. They said that was an option for their francises to make and refused to take any complaints on the matter.

Update: This is also the same coorporation that backs up their stores right to substitute left over, pre-cooked whatever for your actual order. By the way, I do not agree with the below, I do not think Ron is adverising. I think he is bringing a valuable, but wrong, defense of the up-front fee groups. Besides, if this is advertising, he is the worlds worst marketing person. He would be helping his competition get his clients from him.

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For example McDonalds is an up front fee company...I place my order, then I pay for my order and then my order is delivered. Over time I have learned to trust McDonalds...almost always my order is delivered exactly as promised.

This is an overly simplistic (and naive) comparison Ron.

As I understand their business; They will take your $2499 and your timeshare, and sell the timeshare to someone like me for a dollar, Some percentage of the $2500 covers their costs, some goes to the "cause" and some Im sure is a profit...If they offer tax advice

To REALLY understand their business model, take a look at their tax return (IRS form 990) available at Guidestar.org.

You would, however, be better off if you donated to a charity of your choice, and paid someone like me to take your timeshare.

This seems dangerously close to advertising.

timesharepro

TUG Member
Reaction score
DONATE FOE A CAUSE seems to be a legit operation judging from the conversations I have read. However, they advertise as a "no upfront fee" process. They sent me some forms to fill out and return followed by an email that stated basically that the process had started but nothing would actually be accomplished until I sent them my deed and my payment of $2499. It would then take 8-10 weeks to complete the process. Every piece of advice out there stresses that you should never pay an upfront fee. Could someone explain how this is not an upfront fee situation?

Randy Hartmann

Randy,

My name is John Kushman and I work for DFC/Resort Closings.

Your donation was started and a file was opened with Resort Closings. Resort Closings will gather account information from the resort and make sure you are current on the account. They will confirm there is no mortgage, liens, or any other encumbrances. They will then draft a new deed and send to you for signature and notary. When you sign and notarize that deed, and put it in the mail, you are giving up ownership. Your payment is due when you return that signed and notarized deed. This is considered the closing. Resort Closings will not record a deed out of your name until the funds are received.

Upfront payment would be paying before your file was opened with Resort Closings. Before they confirmed with the resort and county records, and before they drafted a new deed.

I hope I have cleared that up. Let me know if you have any questions.

John Kushman

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... Upfront payment would be paying before your file was opened with Resort Closings. Before they confirmed with the resort and county records, and before they drafted a new deed ...

Interesting defination. Learn something new everyday. I thought upfront payment was paying for something before you got it. At least you get some services with the company before payment of the fees. I guess I can see the logic in his defination. If the deed is signed by the new owner before it is sent to you, then this seems fair. I am not an attorney, but I believe either party can file a deed after is has been executed with the appropriate court house. In the alternative, from what was described, it appears they would not be adverse to your paying at a conventional type closing, i.e. executed agreement to you and your payment to them with "good funds".

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is an overly simplistic (and naive) comparison Ron.

To REALLY understand their business model, take a look at their tax return (IRS form 990) available at Guidestar.org.

This seems dangerously close to advertising.

Von

Im not advertising, I dont want the ops timeshare..IVe edited my post to take out what you find offensive...It seems to me you missed my point. Im suggesting that the OP could give a bigger donation to a charity of their choice, give their timeshare away, (TUG has such a service) get a legit tax deduction, and be money ahead.

I picked a simple analogy to make the point that people engage in transactions every day where they pay first, and receive the product or service later...Its not illegal to do business that way, nor is it a sign that there is a scam going on,

To do the opposite is no different... When I demand the service to be rendered first, before I pay for it, Im the one asking for something upfront.

timesharepro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting defination. Learn something new everyday. I thought upfront payment was paying for something before you got it. At least you get some services with the company before payment of the fees. I guess I can see the logic in his defination. If the deed is signed by the new owner before it is sent to you, then this seems fair. I am not an attorney, but I believe either party can file a deed after is has been executed with the appropriate court house. In the alternative, from what was described, it appears they would not be adverse to your paying at a conventional type closing, i.e. executed agreement to you and your payment to them with "good funds".

Most counties in the US do not require the new owners signature on the deed. Either party can walk into a court house/recorders office and have the deed recorded.

We would have no problem with a traditional settlement where the seller (donor) and buyer (charity) and closing agent/attorney all get together at an office, and hand over deed and exchange funds.

However, an escrow closing is a bit easier with the parties being in different locations.

John

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Von

Im not advertising, I dont want the ops timeshare..IVe edited my post to take out what you find offensive...It seems to me you missed my point. Im suggesting that the OP could give a bigger donation to a charity of their choice, give their timeshare away, (TUG has such a service) get a legit tax deduction, and be money ahead.

I picked a simple analogy to make the point that people engage in transactions every day where they pay first, and receive the product or service later...Its not illegal to do business that way, nor is it a sign that there is a scam going on,

To do the opposite is no different... When I demand the service to be rendered first, before I pay for it, Im the one asking for something upfront.

Fair enough Ron. When I first read it, it sounded like you were offering to take it off their hands, for a price.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Randy,

My name is John Kushman and I work for DFC/Resort Closings.

Your donation was started and a file was opened with Resort Closings. Resort Closings will gather account information from the resort and make sure you are current on the account. They will confirm there is no mortgage, liens, or any other encumbrances. They will then draft a new deed and send to you for signature and notary. When you sign and notarize that deed, and put it in the mail, you are giving up ownership. Your payment is due when you return that signed and notarized deed. This is considered the closing. Resort Closings will not record a deed out of your name until the funds are received.

Upfront payment would be paying before your file was opened with Resort Closings. Before they confirmed with the resort and county records, and before they drafted a new deed.

I hope I have cleared that up. Let me know if you have any questions.

John Kushman

John I'm curious how much of the value of the TS + $2,499 paid to DFC is the allowable tax deduction by the donor (Randy in this particular case).

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
We would have no problem with a traditional settlement where the seller (donor) and buyer (charity) and closing agent/attorney all get together at an office, and hand over deed and exchange funds.

John

Where are you guys located? maybe some satellite offices could help solve the question of upfront fees

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Where are you guys located? maybe some satellite offices could help solve the question of upfront fees

Unless they've recently moved, they are out in Montana although I believe their incorporation is in DC.

timesharepro

TUG Member
Reaction score
John I'm curious how much of the value of the TS + $2,499 paid to DFC is the allowable tax deduction by the donor (Randy in this particular case).

Our donors are advised to speak with their tax preparer regarding their tax deductions.

We could beat this dead rotting horse corpse again, but we all know where that ends up.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Donate For A Cause Pop-up Ad

I mentioned I was getting them on UStream, and today I somehow clicked on it by accident.

Here is where it took me with this in bold on their front page:

Get Rid of Your Timeshare - Donate Today!
Get $6,000 for your Timeshare
Fast, Easy, Hassle-Free Process
100% Risk-Free Timeshare Relief
Donate for a Cause - Timeshare Donations

At the very least just a bit misleading!

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is correct,

None of the retail sales companies/developers will buy a timeshare back at anywhere near what you paid. Some major groups have what is called a First Right or Rescission, that allows them to match any offer you may receive and repurchase weeks that they can resell and make more money.

Greg

These places that sell timeshares do not buy them back??

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
These places that sell timeshares do not buy them back??

Most timeshares are selling for 0-5% of original retail on the resale market, so no, in most cases the developer or HOA does not want them back, but it doesn't hurt to ask. If they will take them back - they won't give you any money.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of charities to whom an individual could make a direct donation?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is anyone aware of charities to whom an individual could make a direct donation?

No - the market is flooded with free timeshares - charities do not want them.