• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

dollar vs rand getting better each day

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
today the exchange rate was 9.16- 9.18. getting back close to the old days of 10-1 exchange rate.. by holding off from 9-15-08 on my DIK at 1846R the cost was $232.00. today its at 200.00 a 32.00 savings and looking better each day.

if this get to 10 to 1 I am going to pay for the next 3 yrs on my DIK and sudwula lodge units..

you can get current exchange rates at xe.com

keep you eye on this and be ready to pay some MF at the good old rates..

have a good week

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you pay 3 years in advance? I thought we are only allowed to pay on March 1 for the next year at DIK.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Me too...

I can't ever pay ahead of March. How do you do this???

glenmore

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always paid 2 years ahead on my Durban Sands and Sudwala - didn't know you could go 3 years ahead . . I just write and ask for the estimated levy amount for that year and they add 10-15% to the year before and I send in the payment . .

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
The rate was 9.36 to the $ this afternoon. :) Getting better. The Aussie $ is sucking sand too.

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on this. I haven't been paying attention since I usually pay my MF's in May. This is definitely an opportunity to watch!

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
not sure if you can pay 3 yrs in advance at DIK, that was just a thought. I will send email to judy and see if possible.. I would think they would accept any amount of money so they could have it on hand or put into securities to earn interest of some form. In past years the rand has not been so good to US so I was just going year to year..

I will post back when get info from judy at DIK.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I pay in advance

I am getting ready (in March when they accept the new year's levy) to pay for 2010, so I guess I am one year ahead. I would be interested in paying more, but I worry about the record keeping aspect...

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
9.19 today. :)

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
got a reply back from judy at DIK.

you can pay 2009 MF at any time if not already do so.. 2010 MF can not be paid till march 09..

You can send extra money they will hold and credit your account..

MF on 2 bedroom redflexi is R2373 or 237.65 today..

rand to dollar is 9.98 this afternoon.

the rand has been moving around and may continue to move up. It takes a couple days at best for they to get the deal complete.

have a good one

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Aussie $ is sucking sand too.

I have a relatively steady stream of monthly payments to make in Australian Dollars for my race horses. Since I like today's exchange rate I bought an ETF (Exchange Traded Fund) which tracks the Aussie Dollar. The ticker symbol is FXA. Basically this locks in today's exchange rate. If the Aussie Dollar goes up, the value of the ETF goes up and vica-versa. I'm sure there is a Rand ETF also. If you want, you could buy an amount equal to say 10 years of MFs whenever you feel like you would like to lock in the Rand/Dollar exchange rate. Incidentally, the ETF also throws off a small monthly yield.

George

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked today and the rate is 1 USD = 10.0437 ZAR, It's kinda like gambling-do I pay for two years today at this rate or wait a week and see if it goes down even more? Not only did my Mt. Amanzi levi not go up this year but now my peak week is hovering around the $250 mark. I think I'm going to pull the trigger. I wonder if my Silversands will come in under $100?

Debbyd57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. We just paid ours for 2009 after seeing this post. I wish we could pay for 2010 too. Debby

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just checked today, and it's 10.09. I think I'm gonna pay for two years.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WOW

rand at 11.27.. so now the question is, wait for it go higher or just pull the trigger and get the MF on the way..??? I say pull the trigger and pay them because we all know how SLOW SA can be about this stuff...

who or how is the exchange rate determined at time of CC charges.. are they set by the CC company based on say a xe.com rates or by some other metric they use... any one know how and when it figured..??

thanks

Rmelnyk

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just paid my SA @11.04 to the $ with a 10% discount when paid early. $190. for my two bedroom red week
Roman

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
me too,,
both DIK and sudwala lodge for 2009 and 2010.. get it while the getting hot..

looks like a 11.23 to rand. have to keep watching to see how the rate goes and might be sending more on credit later..

good day great weekend to all..

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Lower today, and so is the Australian dollar.

pagosajim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing out the favorable exchange rates. I normally don't start looking until March when I can first pay my Dikhololo fees.

I've had Judy at Dik place a 3000 Rand credit on my account that will be applied to my 2010 fees in March, 2009. Haven't seen the exact exchange rate used on my Visa card yet, but I think it went through at just over 11 R/$.

Even with an anticipated rate of about 3000 R for the 2010 fees, this will be the lowest amount (~$275) I've paid since 2005 when I bought the deed. Back then it was 2338 R ($368) at a conversion rate of 6 R/$. Needless to say, I'm very happy.

redkayak

TUG Member
Reaction score
I emailed Niky last night to pay my 2010 fees at Sudwala. Received email this morning that my 2 weeks cost a total of $305. Believe Rand is 11 or a little over. Rand was at 7.6 when I paid 2009 fees just at the end of May. Not a bad price for the exchanges I get with it (usually off season). Just came back from two weeks at the Carlsbad Beach Resort thanks to Sudwala.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
got a message back from doreen about my credit card.. I had put a wrong number down so they could not process.. it took a couple days for them to get back due to the volume of people sending money and banking weeks if possible..

looks like the message got out and lots sent money to cover MF..

WOW>..

have a good one.. today rate was down to 10.22.. still not bad

remember you can send in more than the MF and put on acct as credit to use later.. more you send now the less you spend later... kinda like the fram guy. "pay me now or pay me "more" later..""

happy Halloween to all !!

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
The dollar lost a good bit of ground against all currencies in the last day, probably due to the interest rate cut.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
The dollar lost a good bit of ground against all currencies in the last day, probably due to the interest rate cut.

I'm glad my payment cleared a few days ago- just over 11 Rand to the dollar. :banana: Best rate I've seen in over 5 years.