• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dollar / Thrifty / Hertz / Donlan / Firefly Fraudulant Business Practices LAX

DanH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II, Palm Desert, CA
Eagle Crest, Redmond, OR
As a longtime TUG member, I have never had an experience like this in my many years of travel. Please be aware of fraudulent practices at Dollar Car Rental at LAX: I had a reservation for a car I rented at LAX. I handed the prepaid printed receipt (I reserved the car on dollar.com) to the agent. I agreed to pay taxes and service charges (not the weekly rental which was prepaid) when I picked up the car. After a lot of discussion with the agent and 3 copies of an incorrect receipt being presented to me, I ended up with one that that appeared to be close to the correct total. The agent was not very friendly, incompetent at best, fraudulent and racist at worse (I was a minority there.) Turned out that the total on the receipt did not state the rental rate correctly, in the smallest of print. When I called Dollar to ask them to correct it, the agent on the phone said not to worry, Dollar would fix it after we turned in the car. Well, that wasn't true. I've been trying to get my original rate honored since then, and have all but given up. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. I understand bad things happen, and I am graciously willing to work with companies, but I feel I had been deliberately lied to MULTIPLE times from the very beginning. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH DOLLAR, THRIFTY, HERTZ, DONLAN, FIREFLY.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
As a longtime TUG member, I have never had an experience like this in my many years of travel. Please be aware of fraudulent practices at Dollar Car Rental at LAX: I had a reservation for a car I rented at LAX. I handed the prepaid printed receipt (I reserved the car on dollar.com) to the agent. I agreed to pay taxes and service charges (not the weekly rental which was prepaid) when I picked up the car. After a lot of discussion with the agent and 3 copies of an incorrect receipt being presented to me, I ended up with one that that appeared to be close to the correct total. The agent was not very friendly, incompetent at best, fraudulent and racist at worse (I was a minority there.) Turned out that the total on the receipt did not state the rental rate correctly, in the smallest of print. When I called Dollar to ask them to correct it, the agent on the phone said not to worry, Dollar would fix it after we turned in the car. Well, that wasn't true. I've been trying to get my original rate honored since then, and have all but given up. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. I understand bad things happen, and I am graciously willing to work with companies, but I feel I had been deliberately lied to MULTIPLE times from the very beginning. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH DOLLAR, THRIFTY, HERTZ, DONLAN, FIREFLY.

You are not alone. They are the absolute worst.

We were charged for insurance at the Dollar location at the Phoenix airport, even though I had specifically declined it. When I questioned the $60ish charge at the counter, I was told that it was a "deposit", which seemed odd, but I let it go. As we were driving to our hotel, I took another look and sure enough, it was insurance. I called Dollar and they would not fix it over the phone - we had to go back to the airport location. I am a kind, polite person, but not if you lie to me. Then I am firm and no-nonsense. I waited in line (again) and wound up with the same person who charged me for the insurance in the first place. Her first try, "you agreed to it". Nope. Try again. Second version: we can't change it now unless you cancel your reservation, pay an early cancellation fee (you have to be kidding!) and rebook at the current (higher) rate. Nope, I am not paying for your mistake. Third version, you will have to wait for the manager to come in - two hours later. Fine, I told her. I am not moving. So I told her that I will be waiting right next to where you are working, as long as it takes. About five minutes later another employee came over and told me that she could fix it. I walked over to her station, and sure enough, took care of it immediately. So it was just lie, lie, lie. Never again. I would walk before I would rent a car from Dollar. Btw, of course I filed a complaint but never heard back from the company.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
At least they didn't try to "ding" you for pre-existing scratches & dents.
Thrifty in LV did that, but I had saved a copy of their chart I made.
Thrifty Corporate apologized and sent me a coupon - I never used.