• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does searching for sighting cause problems??

Bill4728

Reaction score
Does our member's searches for sighting cause the exchange company's computers to think there is more demand for some areas than there acutually is?? By doing searches, are we causing the areas we search to be harder to get??

JLB over on TS4Ms seems to think so. (He said I could post this here.)

JLB on TS4Ms said:
I just finished a very thoughtful, interesting and instructive phone call with a person from RCI, a person I got to know because of her concern and helpfulness. I'm not sure if she still is in Customer Service, but she mentioned being involved with stuff way beyond what a Guide or Supervisor deals with.

I had emailed her about my recent strange search results for SW FL, where I can see stuff for 12/12/09, but not 12/5/09, when just a few months ago I could see both, searching with a week that has been devalued by RCI (I still have a 2007 full powered week to compare with.)

Once she realized what I was talking about, when I mentioned that I was comparing with other RCI members who also search every day, she perked up. She has just completed a project studying that, the effect of those doing EX Ops/Sightings.

It is something that will never be an official RCI position, but her study strongly speculates (and she firmly believes) that when a group of RCI members all does the same searches, the computer is reading that as false demand, even when no exchanges are confirmed. It is the searching itself, not the confirmation of exchanges, that is skewing the computer.

Wow!!! The Law of Unintended Consequences.

So, in short, she believes that Ex Ops/Sightings, by creating an artifical demand, increases the trading power needed to see those Ex Ops. Those with the strong traders (the ones doing the Ex Ops searches) still see them, but as more searches are done, and more false demand created, the lesser traders stop seeing them.

She believes it is possible that stuff I saw in May cannot now be seen by our devalued trader, because of the number of searches being done for SW FL for that timeframe, and there are a lot being done. She says it is not just the person doing the Ex Op, but all those who do the same search because of the posting.

She gave me some hints on possible ways to overcome this situation, but, because posting on the Internet appears to negate the things you post on the Internet about, I choose not to, at least not before I try them.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Interesting thought. I would have been sure that demand was based on exchanges booked ... not the searches themselves. Interesting, very interesting.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That's just silly speculation. Exchange company software isn't that advanced. :rofl:

DanM

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems more likely that reduced availability for particular times and areas is driven more by the fact that those times and places are booked faster...what we had all been told and believed all along. This would undoubtedly correlate with searches, because obviously, people will be searching more for high demand times and places. But if searching is the chicken and booking is the egg, I think the egg comes first :)

There is also the fact that Tuggers and the other timeshare fanatics probably don't search enough to change "search" values driven by the general timeshare public. I run the same search for holiday ski weeks several times a day, but I am sure every skiing member of RCI or II has ongoing searches for the same times and places. I doubt my manual searches are signficant in the total volume.

The only way to test this would be to bombard the system with searches for something no one wants and see if, over time, availability dropped even though it was safe to assume no one was booking. Any suggestions for a place and week no one would ever exchange for normally?

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine that searches actually register. I know on II I usually do search all available destinations, so it's not even specific.
Liz

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I can see how a GOOD software program cold be designed to take searching into consideration when calculating demand, but we are talking about the RCI program...... give me a break. No way their programmers are that good. Thanks for the laugh.