• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does anyone know what the "Marriot Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program" is?

KOtimeshare

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm looking for clarification on the "Marriot Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program" - specifically, I'd like to know if it can be sold like timeshare weeks.

I'm helping a family friend sell their Phuket Beach Club week, and they want to sell this "enhancement" along with it that they described as something that gave them more flexibility in using their week and cost $2k to $3k USD with an $200USD annual fee, so I'm trying to figure out if this Exchange Program is the enhancement they're talking about.

There were points included with their week, which I believe has been grandfathered into Bonvoy points, so it likely isn't that and only other thing I guess it could be is Interval, but I'm not sure that can be sold.

Any ideas? Here's a picture of the Exchange Program document if it helps at all:

Attachments

• 20240514_090249.jpg
    20240514_090249.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 44

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
In short, no: this enhancement cannot be sold to a buyer of the week.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
As mentioned, your friend will only be able to sell their week without the “enhancement”.
Apart from other resales channels though, they/you might want to join the Marriott's Phuket Beach Club 'Week' Owners site facebook group to try to sell their week there.

LeslieDet

TUG Member
Reaction score
There were points included with their week, which I believe has been grandfathered into Bonvoy points,
FYI - any option to turn the ownership into BonVoy points for a year doesn't transfer in a sale either. I suggest you have your family friend pull out their original purchase information; there should be a paragraph describing what benefits do not transfer upon a sale.

KOtimeshare

Reaction score
As mentioned, your friend will only be able to sell their week without the “enhancement”.
Apart from other resales channels though, they/you might want to join the Marriott's Phuket Beach Club 'Week' Owners site facebook group to try to sell their week there.
Thanks Bazzap. I joined the group when you first recommended it to be a couple years back ;)

I will tell them they can only sell the week without the enhancement - is the enhancement actually called the Exchange Program or is it something else? I'm sure they'll want concrete proof that it can't be sold!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks Bazzap. I joined the group when you first recommended it to be a couple years back ;)

I will tell them they can only sell the week without the enhancement - is the enhancement actually called the Exchange Program or is it something else? I'm sure they'll want concrete proof that it can't be sold!
The better term is to say that the ability to enroll the week in Abound doesn't transfer upon resale.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
Marriott's Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program - It's one of the larger contra-annuity programs where you get to pay forever. Much like taxes -

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm looking for clarification on the "Marriot Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program" - specifically, I'd like to know if it can be sold like timeshare weeks.

I'm helping a family friend sell their Phuket Beach Club week, and they want to sell this "enhancement" along with it that they described as something that gave them more flexibility in using their week and cost $2k to $3k USD with an $200USD annual fee, so I'm trying to figure out if this Exchange Program is the enhancement they're talking about.

There were points included with their week, which I believe has been grandfathered into Bonvoy points, so it likely isn't that and only other thing I guess it could be is Interval, but I'm not sure that can be sold.

Any ideas? Here's a picture of the Exchange Program document if it helps at all:
The pink box at the top of this forum has info on the destination club/Abound.

Your Friends have an enrolled week- the enhancement is the enrollment.

Enrolled Weeks are sold exactly the same as un-enrolled Weeks; enrollment does not transfer from Seller to Buyer. Also, the Week cannot be re-enrolled by the buyer/new Owner because upon the sale the Week then becomes an external resale purchased after the eligibility deadlines.

Marriott allows ownership Transfers of DC Points and Enrolled Weeks among "Family Members" (as defined) with all usage rights assumed by the new Owner/Member. Marriott may or may not charge various related fees including an Initiation Fee or an Enrollment Fee if the new owner is not an existing DC Member at the time of transfer. For information contact the Owner Modifications office at 800-443-4391 or owner.modifications@vacationclub.com.

KOtimeshare

Reaction score
Marriott's Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program - It's one of the larger contra-annuity programs where you get to pay forever. Much like taxes -

The pink box at the top of this forum has info on the destination club/Abound.

Your Friends have an enrolled week- the enhancement is the enrollment.

Enrolled Weeks are sold exactly the same as un-enrolled Weeks; enrollment does not transfer from Seller to Buyer. Also, the Week cannot be re-enrolled by the buyer/new Owner because upon the sale the Week then becomes an external resale purchased after the eligibility deadlines.

Marriott allows ownership Transfers of DC Points and Enrolled Weeks among "Family Members" (as defined) with all usage rights assumed by the new Owner/Member. Marriott may or may not charge various related fees including an Initiation Fee or an Enrollment Fee if the new owner is not an existing DC Member at the time of transfer. For information contact the Owner Modifications office at 800-443-4391 or owner.modifications@vacationclub.com.

Thank you both so much for that information!

I'm helping to offload a family friends' week purely as a favor as I did the same with my parent's week not too long ago, so with this information I'm one step closer to getting this done with once and for all. They've been quite concerned about the enhancement so hopefully this will help them understand their options moving forward.

Thank you again!!!

KOtimeshare

Reaction score
1000054808.jpg

Hi folks. This is from the "Exchange Procedures" booklet, and apparently Exchange Points can be transferred to other program members. Are these points still around, I.e. have they been grandfathered into another points scheme, and is it possible to check the balance of such points?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 93605
Hi folks. This is from the "Exchange Procedures" booklet, and apparently Exchange Points can be transferred to other program members. Are these points still around, I.e. have they been grandfathered into another points scheme, and is it possible to check the balance of such points?

Marriott's Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Points have been renamed Abound Points. And yes you can transfer them to other program members (as long as they haven't been banked or borrowed). There are other places to do so, but I recommend Vacation Point Exchange (run by a TUGger).

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 93605
Do the people you are assisting own Club points or a week?
Enrolled weeks can be elected annually for club points and those points can be transferred to someone else, but the ability to do that doesn't pass on when the week is sold permanently to another party.

KOtimeshare

Reaction score
Do the people you are assisting own Club points or a week?
Enrolled weeks can be elected annually for club points and those points can be transferred to someone else, but the ability to do that doesn't pass on when the week is sold permanently to another party.
They own a Platinum week. So what you're saying is that the week can be converted into points which can be used for them to stay somewhere else other than their home resort (MVC Phuket Beach Club), but the ability to do so doesn't transfer when it is sold?

Finally, does the Exchange Program (now Abound) come with points automatically, or do you have to buy the points?

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
They own a Platinum week. So what you're saying is that the week can be converted into points which can be used for them to stay somewhere else other than their home resort (MVC Phuket Beach Club), but the ability to do so doesn't transfer when it is sold?

Finally, does the Exchange Program (now Abound) come with points automatically, or do you have to buy the points?

Correct- with the orginal owner the week is "enrolled" in the program and thus can be used as a home week or traded for Abound points that can be used to book other resorts. Once the week is sold it becomes un-enrolled in the program and can only be used as a home week reservation (or deposited and traded via Interval). The only way the enrollment transfers is with a family transfer like from parent to child which then retains the enrollment.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you purchase deeded trust points, or an international week/points, direct from Marriott Vacation Club it comes with the Exchange Program. So if you buy a week in Spain direct from MVC, you can elect points. If you buy Asia Pacific points or Bali Points, those points can be used interchangeably in Asia or Bali as well as in the Exchange Program.