• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does anyone know how to read a land survey map?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

I am trying to figure out the precise size of a lot in San Diego and have found a survey map done in 2015. I can do the easy math when it gives me the length and the width, but this particular map was for the property to the south, and the subject lot has an angle. Does anyone have any experience in this area before I go hire a surveyor? Please advise and thank you -- I've attached the map just in case. It's Lots 13 and 14 that I am trying to figure out, just above Lot 1. Thank you!

Best,

Greg

Attachments

• MAP 16054.pdf
    464.7 KB · Views: 58

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
No survey experience but seems like an easy geometry question. Figure out the area of the rectangle then add the area of the triangle(s). Only need to know base and height of the triangle, google has a calculator that will solve for area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
All,

I am trying to figure out the precise size of a lot in San Diego and have found a survey map done in 2015. I can do the easy math when it gives me the length and the width, but this particular map was for the property to the south, and the subject lot has an angle. Does anyone have any experience in this area before I go hire a surveyor? Please advise and thank you -- I've attached the map just in case. It's Lots 13 and 14 that I am trying to figure out, just above Lot 1. Thank you!

Best,

Greg
The survey is used in context with "pins." The formal name might be "monument." That's the key - to find the pins and then use the survey or plat map.
It IS geometry after you find the first pin :) Just need to know where to start your measuring :)

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
All,

Best,

Greg

It looks to me like the only portion of Lots 13 & 14 that has a precise dimension on this survey map would be the shared boundary with Lots 11 & 12, of which Lot 1 is a portion. That boundary has a labeled length of 140.14'. I think you'd just be speculating about the precise dimensions of the other boundaries, though they look to be about 50' combined, based upon the width of Lot 1 (combined width of Lots 11 & 12) being 50.03' and the total width of Lots 11-24 (14 lots) being 350.23'. I don't see anything that precisely lays out the location of the other boundaries.

northwoodsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like a portion of the lot is now being used for roadway? The transfer of that land may have a size. Then it's the rectangle minus what's been taken for road.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Totally non sequitur, but didn’t you say in the live stream you’re from San Diego? It caught my attention as an alum from UCSD. Spent many happy years living all over the county.

PS. Good luck with your area problem