• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dodged a Big Bullet...thanks to this site...

FoundInMT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ten years ago we were pressured (suckered) into buying from the developer a timeshare in Orlando. We are practical people who, at the time, had very little travel experience and two little kids that we wanted to take to DisneyWorld. Anyway, we were staying at a "WallyWorld" kind of hotel and on one of our last days there, my husband (who is just too nice) was approached by a "concierge" offering him discount tickets to SeaWorld. Well, my (then) small-town man happily took the bait, thinking that he was doing his family a big favor, and...well, you know the rest.

Anyway, it's been the proverbial "elephant in the living room" that we've ignored for all of this time, we just haven't had the time or energy to clean up after it. :shrug: We've attempted to sell through Century 21 ($385 about 5years ago) and paid a relatively small fee to an internet listing site ($399) two years ago with zero results. I received a phone call yesterday from Global Resort Management offering to sell AND rent our timeshare...for a fee ($685-$895). Of course, I was eager for any help and proceeded to speak to this guy...but something made me check it out online before I would commit to his deal. That's when I found the TUG site and all of your advice on not paying ANYONE upfront! Needless to say, I have spent the better part of the last two days reading the BBS and have learned bunches! Thanks to your words of wisdom, we don't feel so alone and hope to be able to sell and move on.

Thanks for all that you do! :cheer: Sure wish y'all had been around way back when! Any specific advice you have is welcome!

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
A Nightmare Scenario Survivor ?

Sure wish y'all had been around way back when! Any specific advice you have is welcome!
TUG was around 10 years ago.

Shux, TUG was here 15 years ago.

We didn't find TUG till about 6 years ago. Fortunately for us, that was in time.

In any case, it's nice hearing from a nightmare scenario survivor -- & here's hoping all the various timeshare scams & fast shuffles are over.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

FoundInMT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good to know TUG's been around for so long...can't imagine how many travelers have been saved from having their vacations ruined by buyer's remorse! We were so naive!:doh:

Anyway, keep on doing what you do best! We have decisions to make on how to make the best of this and are glad to have a wise resource.:wave:

flyguybob

Reaction score
Dodged a bullet - recission

The 3-day recission period helped me out! I knew that going in, though. The salesperson was nice but his manager left me feeling like there was a layer of slime on me. We signed it and then sent a letter the next day taking advantage of Florida's recission period. Had we not dealt with the manager then we likely would be in your shoes.

FoundInMT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking alot about that 'experience'. Funny how the only thing that I really remember as we were leaving the resort were all of the billboards advertising timeshare resales. A big part of me knew we'd been had, but by the time we got home there was only one day left to rescind...:wall: Anyway, enough about that!

I'm here to ask for direction on finding out the value of our week. I'm thinking I probably should have posted on the Newbie BBS...I'll sign up for membership so I can access more information regarding sales, etc.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
We Saw That Billboard Too (That 1 Or 1 Just Like It).

Funny how the only thing that I really remember as we were leaving the resort were all of the billboards advertising timeshare resales.
We were driving back to our dinky motel after taking the sales tour at a very nice Orlando FL timeshare (didn't buy, but felt wistful at the contrast between our dinky motel & the luxurious timeshare units) when we saw a big highway billboard that said . . .

TIMESHARES -- BUY RESALE
SAVE THOUSANDS

Right after we got home, we called the toll-free number ( -- didn't buy from them, either, but the seed was planted & had taken root -- ) & the rest is history.

Later, after being firmly rooted in the timeshare scene, we got an outstanding Last Call reservation for a week at that very same timeshare -- enjoyed it even more that way than we would have if we had sprung for big bux by paying full freight. Not only that, we got fast-talked into taking the tour again & for that were rewarded with a check that covered most of the cost of the Last Call reservation. In an odd way, we had come full circle.

Our (mostly complete & mostly true) timeshare story is on the Internet. Click here for that if you're a glutton for punishment.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm here to ask for direction on finding out the value of our week. I'm thinking I probably should have posted on the Newbie BBS...I'll sign up for membership so I can access more information regarding sales, etc.

A good way to value your TS is to do a search for similar sales on eBay, both pending and completed. You can also look for similar sales on websites where TS's are listed, like Redweek.com. See the sticky note at the top of this forum on selling TS's.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
But are you sure you really want to sell? By now your kids are bigger and maybe you can learn to use it to an advantage, get the best trades, find out if renting it out is viable, etc. Stick with us for a few weeks and see what develops.

FoundInMT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep or Sell...

Thanks for your input! Our kids aren't only bigger...they're gone! I've been looking at some of the listings on this site and at Redweek and see that we actually have a pretty good location (not necessarily a great week), which might allow us to get a little value out of this after all! There's just so much to learn! It's a bit intimidating!

I really appreciate your advice! BTW...I did sign up as a member today...but see that my login still shows as 'guest'. I really should have put this message on the Newbie page...I don't know nuthin!

Last edited:

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are still "guest" because you didn't put member code in your profile. It happened to me before :)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
FoundInMT,

Welcome to Tug! You'll get lots of great advice here.

Richard

dr.debs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input! Our kids aren't only bigger...they're gone! I've been looking at some of the listings on this site and at Redweek and see that we actually have a pretty good location (not necessarily a great week), which might allow us to get a little value out of this after all! There's just so much to learn! It's a bit intimidating!

I really appreciate your advice! BTW...I did sign up as a member today...but see that my login still shows as 'guest'. I really should have put this message on the Newbie page...I don't know nuthin!

Welcome to TUG:wave: I am a newbie too. I heard about resales from a friend who bought her first TS from a developer and then discovered TUG and resales thereafter. I found TUG after buying my first TS on Ebay. I have learned a lot but, then , there is a lot to learn.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We were driving back to our dinky motel after taking the sales tour at a very nice Orlando FL timeshare (didn't buy, but felt wistful at the contrast between our dinky motel & the luxurious timeshare units) when we saw a big highway billboard that said . . .

TIMESHARES -- BUY RESALE
SAVE THOUSANDS

Right after we got home, we called the toll-free number ( -- didn't buy from them, either, but the seed was planted & had taken root -- ) & the rest is history.

For us it was strolling through the shopping center in Hanalei a day or two after we signed the paperwork, and going past a walk-in timeshare resale office that had some resale pricing posted on the windows. We didn't stop in, but I was beginning to think. We were on our way back to our hotel, several miles out of town, when I told my wife that we needed to go back and check this out a bit more.

So we went back, and got a lot smarter. We had been sold on timesharing, and now we realized there were a lot more options than we had realized - both as to available resorts and the possibilities of buying resale.

Before we left Kaua'i, we had decided on a resort that we liked better, and were starting to work on scoping out the resale market for that resort.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
For me, it was staying in Cabo San Lucas with my brother and sister-in-law in the studio unit they paid over $10,000 to buy, and knowing they were spending a bunch in MFs every year. Nice resort, but the price just seemed way out of line.

After I got home, I jumped online and Googled that same resort. Found a TON of eBay ads selling that same studio unit for $1, and more than a few websites that mentioned TUG. I stumbled in here, and never left.

I tell everyone who will listen that the membership fee for TUG is the best timeshare money I ever spent.

Dave

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me, it was staying in Cabo San Lucas with my brother and sister-in-law in the studio unit they paid over $10,000 to buy, and knowing they were spending a bunch in MFs every year. Nice resort, but the price just seemed way out of line.

After I got home, I jumped online and Googled that same resort. Found a TON of eBay ads selling that same studio unit for $1, and more than a few websites that mentioned TUG. I stumbled in here, and never left.

I tell everyone who will listen that the membership fee for TUG is the best timeshare money I ever spent.
Dave

Dave, great comment, I just wanted to highlight it.

FoundInMT

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're not worthy...

We passed on this information to a friend of ours who has been considering getting into timesharing...she and her husband attended a presentation a few years ago and managed to tear themselves away before they paid developer prices. Anyway, TUG's the first place I told her to explore.

So we went back, and got a lot smarter.

Thanks to your Timesharing 101 article, Steve, we have a guide. No way is our week gonna sell...but I'm grateful we're at a place where we can start to enjoy what we have instead.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG.....yup best money I have spent...I have learned tons....you will too!

Start your vacations with your timeshare....maybe you can recoup with vacations rather than selling now...

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was on vacation in Charleston on a Bluegreen timeshare junket. They hit me with the great tour and sales presentation, and I bought. I had signed the paperwork buying a week when I got lucky. I was going to book my first bluegreen vacation with my newly purchased bluegreen points at a resort in Panama City when I was informed that they had very few weeks at that resort, and summer was almost impossible to get. I asked where they could put me on the beach on the panhandle for the next summer and they said they didn't have anything on the beach in the summer. I cancelled after arguing with 2 or 3 managers for a long time because they told me in the sales presentation repeatedly that I wouldn't have any trouble getting a beach week in the summer on the panhandle. Thank God for limited availability or I would have purchased retail for $12,000.

I got home from that vacation and was still wanting to own a timeshare week that I could use in the summer at a beach that was close to my home. I typed "timeshares for sale" on google and hit search. E-bay came up as the number 1 seller of timeshares in the world, and that is how I became a resale addict.

I learned a lot of lessons the hard way before I found TUG. Now that I have found TUG, I don't buy anything without asking others about the resort or reading the TUG reviews. I too wish I had found TUG earlier.

Last edited:

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG:wave: I am a newbie too. I heard about resales from a friend who bought her first TS from a developer and then discovered TUG and resales thereafter. I found TUG after buying my first TS on Ebay. I have learned a lot but, then , there is a lot to learn.

I've been a TUG member for 13 years and I still learn something new and helpful everyday, well actually maybe "just" once a week. That's still over 200 new tidbits of valuable info a year.

I found TUG in time to rescind the first (and only) purchase we made from a developer. Everything after that was bought through resale companies, on-line ads placed by owners, Ebay auctions, and one from someone we knew personally.

I'm glad so many "newbies" are finding their way to TUG where they can "learn the ropes" from experienced fellow/sister owners.

Jennie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stumbled in here, (TUG) and never left.
Dave

Oh my goodness. Your family and friends must be frantically looking for you. Maybe you've already been "declared dead" and someone is buying tons of timeshares with the insurance money :hysterical:

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad you found this site! I wish we had before we bought our first.

For us it was strolling downtown Key West in Florida during a cold snap with the kids. We were staying in a Holiday Inn and had little to do - too cold for the pool. We got stopped and offered 100 dollars to go - and they'd pick us up - and the kids could go - and it was inside.

We were picked up at our second rate hotel and taken to the Hyatt! We were astounded. We sat in the closed room and watched the video of all the amazing resorts. I call it the pina colada effect. I am not insinuating that Hyatt gave us alcohol - however being on vacation and watching more vacations - luxorious beyond words - was like getting just a little high.

And then the explanation. And we could get it for less - yeah - just buy any week at any price and trade anywhere! :cheer: YES! We bought a 2 bedroom 1800 points for 18,500.

We were actually lucky. We did sell it after a few vacations for 13,500 and bought Marriott resale (after finding TUG).

I still wonder about buying a cheapo and trading, but I just love Marriott and Hilton and don't want to stay anywhere else (snob that I am) right now. I'm sure when I'm retired we'll buy more (I'm a teacher, so I'm locked into vacation times). For now - THANK Goodness for TUG!!!!!!!:cheer:

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh my goodness. Your family and friends must be frantically looking for you. Maybe you've already been "declared dead" and someone is buying tons of timeshares with the insurance money :hysterical:

:hysterical:

I just spit out my coffee

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

So THAT'S where I've been! I've been looking for myself lately. :)

Actually, the family gave up on me years ago. Every time they turn around, I'm jetting off to some other fun and fantastic vacation location. They all hate me. LOL! :hysterical:

Dave

Brenda47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resales

Don't forget to check out bidshares.com.
They are great.