• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do HRC Stays Count Toward Elite Status?

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you ever tried calling World of Hyatt to request missing points? Even on a HRPP or CUP stay, you are still eligible to earn points on incidentals....

This. Yes, it won't post automatically due to differences in the Hyatt and HRC computer systems. You do need to call World of Hyatt (and wait at least 10 days after checkout before making the call).
I would guess most owners are not even aware of this - just assume they are getting Hyatt points. Not sure why Marriott Vacation Club can make it work with Marriott hotels so smoothly - they also have different computer systems. I have found even when I call in to Hyatt you still have a good chance of getting an agent that swears you don't get points for incidentals at residence clubs. I have literally had to send them their own rules before with the part about expenditures at Hyatt restaurants highlighted.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
You get 5 base points per eligible spend just for providing your World of Hyatt membership at check-in (free for anyone to join). Again, HRC maintenance fees and taxes don't count but incidentals during a stay like food purchases would. This is true regardless of your tier with the Hyatt program (from base Member to Globalist). Starting with the 2nd tier (Discoverist), you get bonus points on base points earned. 10% for Discoverist, 20% for Explorist, 30% for Globalist. So basically a Discoverist would get 5.5 points per dollar, Explorist 6 points, and Globalist 6.5 points. If you get the Hyatt credit card, you are automatically a Discoverist. This and the free Category 1-4 hotel night annually is enough reason to get the Hyatt card and pay the $95 Annual Fee. Once you are a Discoverist, you can link your Hyatt Account with AA, and start earning Hyatt points with American flights (in addition to the usual AA points earned).

The next choice is how to pay the folio at checkout. If you pay with the Hyatt credit card, you get 4 Hyatt points per dollar (so this is why the card is sometimes advertised as 9 points per dollar for Hyatt spend --- it's 5 base for the Hotel stay + 4 extra for paying with the Hyatt credit card. Or you might pay with another travel card, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which would net the 5 base Hyatt points + 3 Ultimate Reward points. Some might consider those 3 Ultimate Reward points more valuable and flexible than netting an additional 4 Hyatt hotel points.

If you pay with the Hyatt credit card, those 4 points will post automatically as it goes through the credit card. For the other points you may need to call World of Hyatt customer service to get them to post (after waiting at least 10 days after checkout). My understanding is that the HRC / Hyatt hotel systems are different and this is why HRC points may not post without contacting Hyatt, even if people have provided their membership number at checkin.

I would like to confirm my understanding of the rules after reading this post and others in this thread. We are HRC owners and I just ordered the Hyatt Visa card. Am I correct in understanding that maintenance fees do not qualify for points if paid with the card? However, paying the "incidental fees" for reservations, cleaning, etc. are eligible for points if paid with the card either online or at the resort?

That would be disappointing regarding the MF's as others have noted that Marriott does award points for paying MF's with their cards. But, the other benefits of the Hyatt card are worth paying the annual fee.

Best regards.

Mike

socaltimeshare

TUG Member
Reaction score
You do get 4X points when paying MFs with the WOH card. The quote above was in reference to the HRC folio at checkout. You won't see the MF on your folio at checkout, thus they won't earn the base 5 WOH points/dollar for MFs paid when physically staying at the HRC. Nor is the stay counted as nights towards status. But, any incidentals you charge to the room will earn the base 5 WOH/dollar. With the WOH card and it's granting of Discoverist and thus 10% bonus on eligible spending, you are looking at a minimum of 9.5 points/dollar on all incidentals (5 base + .5 bonus + 4 for paying with WOH card).

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
You do get 4X points when paying MFs with the WOH card. The quote above was in reference to the HRC folio at checkout. You won't see the MF on your folio at checkout, thus they won't earn the base 5 WOH points/dollar for MFs paid when physically staying at the HRC. Nor is the stay counted as nights towards status. But, any incidentals you charge to the room will earn the base 5 WOH/dollar. With the WOH card and it's granting of Discoverist and thus 10% bonus on eligible spending, you are looking at a minimum of 9.5 points/dollar on all incidentals (5 base + .5 bonus + 4 for paying with WOH card).

Thanks for clarifying that. I clearly misunderstood.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Socialtime. I get extra WOH points thru my Hyatt card on any Hyatt charges on the card including MFs, reservation fees, GCs and money spent at a Hyatt resort.

Since I use points for an HRC reservation, there is no money spent to tie to points for the booking itself. But I give them my WOH number at checkin and get WOH points thru my WOH membership on money spent at the resort - but the redemption seems to vary by expenditure type.

Last edited: