• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney World @ Xmas

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Was there last month from Dec 10-17. It was great. Parades were crowded as well as the fireworks, but managable.

Was there Jan 15-22 again. Stood in line for Soaring for over 60 minutes (long story, but it was the last day and the EMH visit on the 1st day involved a "passenger of size" and getting off the ride after the safety check). That was the longest wait all week, but planning & EMHs truly helped.

During the January visit, multiple people made comments about the Xmas holidays thru New Year's was super crowded. Lots of foreign guests in January, particularily tour groups from Brazil (everywhere).

It used to be that Christmas in the parks was practically deserted as families wanted that time for family things. That changed dramatically a decade or so ago & now Christmas day is a nightmare. Similarly the week prior to Christmas used to be one of the deadest of the year. That also changed but it's usually tolerable whereas Christmas week itself is not.

However if many schools plan to be out during the week before I'd be afraid plenty of families will use that opportunity to visit & make that week nearly as bad as Christmas week usually is. Not a chance I'd take. Plus remember that the weather in December/January in Orlando can be quite cold. As in freezing. It it the coldest time of year for Florida and a real risk if you plan warm weather things. It may be 80 but there is an equal chance it will be 40's or less. Not the most reliable time to be there. IF the weather holds and you can get the atime early January is a dead time & a great time to enjoy extremely light crowds. But it's a risk and if it's cold it can put a real damper on the visit.

spencersmama

TUG Member
Reaction score
For example, Magic Kingdom is open until 3am on Dec 30th. After the fireworks are over at midnight, the crowds dissipates fast and by 12:30pm the backs of the park is empty. By 1:30pm the park starts looking like a ghost town. Staying out late on the 30th is good for us, we already know that on the 31st we are sleeping in and not hitting the parks until evening time.

tomandrobin,

I am probably the other person on the ride with you after midnight! ;) I love MK late at night!

Do you get in the park on New Year's Eve if you arrive in the evening? I've never been that day, but heard you have to get there very early and stay the whole day. I've been on the 4th of July, and that cleared out after the fireworks and parades also.

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Regarding entrance to a "closed" park.
Disney closes in waves. First they close for regular guests. Then to onsite guests and passholders. Finally to everyone. It is not too often that they close to everyone and even when they do they will often open later in the day when people leave.
As passholders we have gotten into Magic when it was "closed" on Dec 31

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you get in the park on New Year's Eve if you arrive in the evening? I've never been that day, but heard you have to get there very early and stay the whole day. I've been on the 4th of July, and that cleared out after the fireworks and parades also.

MK will close during the day, but if you are staying on property you can get MK on the 31st. You will have to take the Disney transportation cause the parking lots will be closed.

You do not have to stay all day.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding entrance to a "closed" park.
Disney closes in waves. First they close for regular guests. Then to onsite guests and passholders. Finally to everyone. It is not too often that they close to everyone and even when they do they will often open later in the day when people leave.
As passholders we have gotten into Magic when it was "closed" on Dec 31

One other thing Disney does to limit entrance to the parks is close the parking lots.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
MK will close during the day, but if you are staying on property you can get MK on the 31st. You will have to take the Disney transportation cause the parking lots will be closed.

You do not have to stay all day.

I cannot imagine a more stressful, less enjoyable visit to the "magic" than having to deal with the overcrowded parks AND Disney Transportation! If that doesn't ruin your trip then nothing could. Best advice is avoid that time like the plague unless you want your expensive time at Disney to be a very bad memory of rude people pushing & shoving and never ending waits to do anything. Hardly the things great trips vacations are made of.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cannot imagine a more stressful, less enjoyable visit to the "magic" than having to deal with the overcrowded parks AND Disney Transportation! If that doesn't ruin your trip then nothing could. Best advice is avoid that time like the plague unless you want your expensive time at Disney to be a very bad memory of rude people pushing & shoving and never ending waits to do anything. Hardly the things great trips vacations are made of.

I will totally disagree with you on this point. We have been 7 years in a row for that week and loved every one of those trips. Spending that time with my family and celebrating the Holidays just can not be beat, in my book. You are looking at this as a comando touring style, not a celebration of the holidays....Christmas and New Year Eve.

I will agree that this time of year is not great for rides, but a veteran Disney traveler can and will do most rides, with little discomfort. But if you want a trip for just the rides, go in September or January. To celebrate the New Year and Christmas, I think Disney is a fantastic place to be.

northwoodsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last week, while doing our daughter's photo session, our photographer was was telling us about their vacation to Orlando over Christmas. He said Disney was busy but because the way the park was laid out, it was doable. However, when they went to Universal Studios to see the Harry Potter section, it was absolutely horrible. Universal apparently doesn't limit admission to their park or, if they do, they certainly aren't scared to overcrowd it. They were able to get in to two stores and gave up waiting for any rides because of the two hour wait. Way, way too many people allowed in.

I know you weren't asking about Universal but I thought I would mention it anyway.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I will totally disagree with you on this point. We have been 7 years in a row for that week and loved every one of those trips. Spending that time with my family and celebrating the Holidays just can not be beat, in my book. You are looking at this as a comando touring style, not a celebration of the holidays....Christmas and New Year Eve.

I will agree that this time of year is not great for rides, but a veteran Disney traveler can and will do most rides, with little discomfort. But if you want a trip for just the rides, go in September or January. To celebrate the New Year and Christmas, I think Disney is a fantastic place to be.

If it's all about family time & memories then you don't need a costly ticket to Disney to enjoy that. I appreciate that being "there" (wherever that may be from NYC Times Square or the Magic Kingdom or the LV strip) for New Years is a memorable experience (which we have done all of those and more). Most don't involve an expensive entrance fee. When we pay that it is for the attractions not to stand around in a crushing crowd virtually unable to move. So when it comes to celebrations a paid theme park ticket is not the way we've found to enjoy a major holiday, IMO. YMMV.

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
tomandrobin,

I am probably the other person on the ride with you after midnight! ;) I love MK late at night!

Nope! We are there also. My children love going on Big Thunder Mountain 10 times within 30 minutes. We are not early morning magic hour people, we love the evening extra magic hours and love "closing the park down".

spencersmama

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last week, while doing our daughter's photo session, our photographer was was telling us about their vacation to Orlando over Christmas. He said Disney was busy but because the way the park was laid out, it was doable. However, when they went to Universal Studios to see the Harry Potter section, it was absolutely horrible. Universal apparently doesn't limit admission to their park or, if they do, they certainly aren't scared to overcrowd it. They were able to get in to two stores and gave up waiting for any rides because of the two hour wait. Way, way too many people allowed in.

I know you weren't asking about Universal but I thought I would mention it anyway.

I think the issue with Universal is that those 2 parks are laid out like a big loop, whereas the MK is laid out in a spoke pattern. That is the main reason I'm not a fan of Animal Kingdom. I don't like the "loop" layout and feel like a lot of the pathways and bathrooms are narrow, small and overcrowded. I feel like there is no reason for that since it was built last and Disney knoew how many visitors they get each year. I guess they want it to seem authentic.

If you go to Universal at a busy time, you really need to stay on property. Everyone that stays on property gets what is the equivalent to a fast pass for almost all the rides. There is no time limit or restriction on the passes. The exception is the Harry Potter ride and one or two other big rides. I am really surprised they didn't have the Harry Potter area closed off with a worker handing out timed cards to return later. They often do that when it gets busy. Of any ride I've ever been on at any park, the Harry Potter ride comes the closest to making you feel like you are really there, flying with the movie characters and experiencing everything. (I've been to all the Busch properties including SeaWorld and the Sesame Street park, Disney properties, a few 6 Flags, Hershey Park, and Cedar Point in Ohio. I like amusement park! LOL)

Harry Potter stuff is busy, even when I've gone to Universal at off times. It is the most popular thing there. The line is a little boring when you are outside, but once you get inside, I actually wish the line took a little longer. there are so many little details from the book to see. Very interesting. You can walk through and see the stuff without waiting in line for the ride, BTW. One thing I'm surprised about is that the roller coasters in that area, the Dueling Dragons, hardly ever has a line. It's my DD's favorite coaster in either of the Universal parks, too.

I personally enjoy Disney more than Universal, but I really think they tend to attract different crowds. Universal has a lot more big thrill rides, but also has more of a "party" atmosphere. Disney is all wholesome family fun. One weekend last year I went to both parks to see specific parades. I told my mother when I got back that waiting for the parades kind of summed up the whole experience at each park - At Disney they cast members played with the kids and sold the crowd $20 light-up plastic pieces of junk toys. At Universal, women in short skirts and high heels came around and sold reasonably priced beer and jell-o shots.

Purseval

Reaction score
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter ride also has a single rider line that lets you bypass the long wait. Instead of trying to go in the front entrance head to the back where the store exits, cut through the locker room and go into the singles line. You can cut your wait from hours to minutes even on the busiest days.

If you haven't seen the WWOHP you should go once just for the experience. It has the most amazing theming of any Orlando attraction. Nothing in WDW can even come close. The Haunted Mansion is good but you are trying to compare 1970's technology to 2010 and it just doesn't keep up. I'm actually not that big a fan of the ride itself but I could spend all day walking through the castle and wandering about the village and still miss dozens of details. It has raised the bar.