• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney World Hasn’t Felt This Empty in Years

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

Visitors to Disney theme parks this summer are encountering something they haven’t seen in a while: elbow room.

Travel analysts and advisers say traffic to Disney’s U.S. parks, and some rival parks, has slowed this summer. Data from a travel company that tracks line-waiting time at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla., shows that the Independence Day weekend was one of the slowest in nearly a decade.

Disney executives have said they have expected weaker earnings from their U.S. parks this year. The Orlando-area resort is even offering hotel discounts around Christmas, typically a peak period.

Travel advisers and industry analysts say the slowdown is the latest sign that Disney’s recent price hikes and changes to park operations have soured some families on visiting the Most Magical Place on Earth….

…..Park visitors in recent weeks have had significantly lower wait times to get on rides, according to data from Touring Plans, a company that tracks wait times at major amusement parks, including Disney World and Disneyland in California. Industry analysts say shorter wait times generally correlate with smaller crowds….

….Still, the July 4 lull signals that tourists have cooled somewhat on theme-park vacations, travel professionals say.

“From what we’re seeing with our bookings, that pent-up demand has somewhat transitioned to cruises and Europe,” says Greg Antonelle, co-owner of MickeyTravels, a travel agency based in Windermere, Fla….

….The recent flood of promotions suggests that greater savings could be on the horizon for next year. “If I were going to Disney World, I would probably hold off until 2024,” Wolfe says.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Surprising, except the heat keeps us away in summer. I would guess most people feel the same about July in Florida.

Our daughter-in-law has been the one that is comfortable in the heat. Contrarily, late May, I was surprised by the weather, which was comfortable compared to last year's trip in early May, and she said it was uncomfortable for her. She had those twins to deal with, so maybe that was the reason, but I was surprised when she said it was hotter than the devil's britches. Funny thing to say. Our six-year-old granddaughter doesn't seem one bit affected by the heat.

Our next trip with them is over winter break, 12/26-sometime in January. The 26th is the babies' 2nd birthday. She needs to choose crowds or heat. She won't like the crowds at Christmas-New Year's.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I can't read the article, but was watching a podcast last week where they were talking about how bookings are down quite a bit for summer and beyond for Disney World. It seems the aggressive price increases have finally caught up to them?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
European airfare:hotels this summer are $$$ and Europe cruise bookings for 2024 also $$$. Cannot get tickets to Rome colosseum for summer 2023. Vatican jam packed. Of course, we’re headed there. :D

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
European airfare:hotels this summer are $$$ and Europe cruise bookings for 2024 also $$$. Cannot get tickets to Rome colosseum for summer 2023. Vatican jam packed. Of course, we’re headed there. :D
Yeah, one of the reasons we went to Rome this past Christmas. Much lower crowds and easier to get into the Colosseum and Vatican, along with more comfortable temperatures while walking the city.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I can't read the article, but was watching a podcast last week where they were talking about how bookings are down quite a bit for summer and beyond for Disney World. It seems the aggressive price increases have finally caught up to them?

It has to catch up with them sometime. Between the admission costs, Genie+ and Lightning Lane costs, hotel costs, food costs it gets pricier than a trip to Europe. People obviously still do it, but I doubt they repeat it often after they get the credit card bills...

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We have AP's and don't use LL or Genie+. The food costs are getting out of hand, which is why we stay in timeshares and cook breakfast and pack lunches. Carrying around a cooler with lunch does get tiring, but Rick does it, unless he is riding a roller coaster, and then I am in charge of that thing. Sandwiches taste mighty good in the park.

We eat some meals at the parks, but not fast food meals. We like Space 220 and Liberty Tree Tavern and Mama Melroses. When we go with our kids that rarely go, they like Biergarten. Our son and his family do not like that restaurant. I don't get it because I think it's great.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
We have AP's and don't use LL or Genie+. The food costs are getting out of hand, which is why we stay in timeshares and cook breakfast and pack lunches. Carrying around a cooler with lunch does get tiring, but Rick does it, unless he is riding a roller coaster, and then I am in charge of that thing. Sandwiches taste mighty good in the park.

We eat some meals at the parks, but not fast food meals. We like Space 220 and Liberty Tree Tavern and Mama Melroses. When we go with our kids that rarely go, they like Biergarten. Our son and his family do not like that restaurant. I don't get it because I think it's great.

Many locals and timesharers (those who carry the sandwiches in coolers - we do that too!) were shut out of the parks for a few years when they stopped selling annual passes. The mentality was to fill the parks with people who actually spend money and maximize the revenue per guest, and do it now. Come on a busy day, pay a lot to get in, then pay a lot to avoid the lines on that busy day, and pay a lot to sleep and eat on property. Who needs those penny-pinching locals and timeshare owners with their cheap passes, who sleep and eat offsite? It worked for a long while, as evidenced by the packed parks, but maybe they're finding out now that those particular high-spending guests are not coming back as often as they did in the past...

I remember learning in business school about the concept of "the lifetime value of a customer". Hopefully they can get back to that...

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many locals and timeshares (those who carry the sandwiches in coolers - we do that too!) were shut out of the parks for a few years when they stopped selling annual passes. The mentality was to fill the parks with people who actually spend money and maximize the revenue per guest. Come on a busy day, pay a lot to get in, then pay a lot to avoid the lines on that busy day, and pay a lot to sleep and eat on property. It worked, as evidenced by the packed parks, but maybe they're finding out now that those particular guests are not coming back as often as they did in the past...
Exactly. Not an experience that you want to repeat very often.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Yeah, one of the reasons we went to Rome this past Christmas. Much lower crowds and easier to get into the Colosseum and Vatican, along with more comfortable temperatures while walking the city.
Just got back from 3 weeks in Rome, Italy and cruising.

Had the best time in Rome walking around and seeing the sights plus EATING! It was very crowded and over run with tourists(wife and I being two of those toutists). Had no problem seeing the major sights such as Colessium, Parthenon, Vatican, etc but we did do a bunch of private tours and guides. Actually no lines at Collesium as being the only group of 12 in the evening made it a very special event. Did see the lines during the day that numbered into the thousands waiting to enter the Collesium. The Vatican city was so crowded it was crazy.

Visited Santorini and while it is very picturesque, it is a tourist trap. It was a 4 hour wait down the tram back to our ship. Had to walk down as we waited in line for 2 hours and ship was leaving in another hour. Very slippery walk down and full of mule poop. Visited Portofino and surrounding 4 villages and while it was nice, but mainly tourist traps.

I live on Oahu and this was worse than our Waikiki strip which is basically a tourist trap.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
There is also a segment of the population that has made it a point to boycott Disney over some political issues similar to the Bud Light boycott that has tanked Bud Light sales by 30%. Sadly, politics is invading things that should never be impacted by political division.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
There is also a segment of the population that has made it a point to boycott Disney over some political issues similar to the Bud Light boycott that has tanked Bud Light sales by 30%. Sadly, politics is invading things that should never be impacted by political division.

I guess we could also say that companies should not take political positions or this is the risk.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I guess we could also say that companies should not take political positions or this is the risk.
That is not the reason has declined at Disney. It's more likely this:

"In September, Disney enthusiasts said they were skipping trips to visit the theme parks due to rising prices and cash grabs."

Iger Says Disney Parks Are Too Expensive
Iger admitted that the price increases at Disney Parks have been too aggressive. The CEO stated he felt that accessibility was important in the parks, and while he understands the importance of profitability, he believes Disney can be smarter about balancing these two things.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

"In September, Disney enthusiasts said they were skipping trips to visit the theme parks due to rising prices and cash grabs."

Iger admitted that the price increases at Disney Parks have been too aggressive. The CEO stated he felt that accessibility was important in the parks, and while he understands the importance of profitability, he believes Disney can be smarter about balancing these two things.

I did not say this was the reason. Someone else mentioned people might be boycotting Disney for political reasons.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I did not say this was the reason. Someone else mentioned people might be boycotting Disney for political reasons.
Sorry, I attached my comment to the wrong post.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score

Do you think Iger would honestly admit that picking a fight with around 50% of the US population was part of the problem?

I still go but I have family and friends who have backed out of WDW plans due to the culture war.

Pricing is a big part of it but there are multiple factors involved IMO.

(Getting a little off track but one online article mentioned it's not only the parks... Disney plus has had pull back and their movies have turned into an anchor...

"Disney is facing massive losses, even after a summer full of big releases. According to box office analyst Valliant Renegade, Walt Disney Co. has lost nearly $900 million following its last eight studio releases, including box office flops like LIGHTYEAR and STRANGE WORLD.")

rmclain73

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much overseas travel this summer is effecting things. There was just a report earlier this week I saw on our local Boston news about how much availability there is on the Cape and the Islands this summer due to people traveling overseas this summer now that all Covid restrictions have been lifted. People are once again traveling out of the country. I know first hand that many of our regulars have decided to go to Europe this summer.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Had the best time in Rome walking around and seeing the sights plus EATING! It was very crowded and over run with tourists(wife and I being two of those toutists). Had no problem seeing the major sights such as Colessium, Parthenon, Vatican, etc but we did do a bunch of private tours and guides. Actually no lines at Collesium as being the only group of 12 in the evening made it a very special event. Did see the lines during the day that numbered into the thousands waiting to enter the Collesium. The Vatican city was so crowded it was crazy.

Visited Santorini and while it is very picturesque, it is a tourist trap. It was a 4 hour wait down the tram back to our ship. Had to walk down as we waited in line for 2 hours and ship was leaving in another hour. Very slippery walk down and full of mule poop. Visited Portofino and surrounding 4 villages and while it was nice, but mainly tourist traps.

I live on Oahu and this was worse than our Waikiki strip which is basically a tourist trap.

We are doing this next April, booked with Norwegian for an 11-day Mediterranean cruise, plus another 10 days in hotels. Our kids are going with their little ones. That should be a ton of work for Mom and Dad, but we won't be carrying those babies around Italy.

Those Marriott points will come in handy next year.

I would love to do a river cruise before we get much older. My sister just did a Viking in Egypt. She absolutely loved it and is doing a Cambodia cruise next October. She said the river cruises are addictive. I am sure they are.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
My kids love DisneyWorld, but prices have gotten ridiculous.

But even worse is GeniePlus. It literally made our last vacation a stress filled mess for me. The polar opposite of a Disney Magic bubble. We will not go back until they get rid of GeniePlus. Go back to Fastpasses or anything else

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Visited Santorini and while it is very picturesque, it is a tourist trap. It was a 4 hour wait down the tram back to our ship. Had to walk down as we waited in line for 2 hours and ship was leaving in another hour. Very slippery walk down and full of mule poop. Visited Portofino and surrounding 4 villages and while it was nice, but mainly tourist traps.>

We did all these places in 2017 (Transatlantic) and 2018 (Italy and Greek Isle), both through cruises and added 5 days to Rome and Venice. It sounds like the crowds have even grown more. Santorini was very picturesque but I didn't care for the steps and height. Our favorite though, was Pompeii.

Last edited:

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
100% correct

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We did all these places in 2017 (Tranatlantic) and 2018 (Italy and Greek Isle), both through cruises and added 5 days to Rome and Venice. It sounds like the crowds have even grown more. Santorini was very picturesque but I didn't care for the steps and height. Our favorite though, was Pompeii.
I am not comfortable going up and down steps without a railing. No one will get me to climb steps and go down without a railing to hold onto.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
We did all these places in 2017 (Transatlantic) and 2018 (Italy and Greek Isle), both through cruises and added 5 days to Rome and Venice. It sounds like the crowds have even grown more. Santorini was very picturesque but I didn't care for the steps and height. Our favorite though, was Pompeii.
We did like Pompeii and our guide was very good. We even got to see the signs that point to the oldest profession in the world. I am surprised at how much is so well preserved.

Try walking down that cobblestone path. It was a once in my lifetime experience. I would never walk up that path to Santorini.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We did like Pompeii and our guide was very good. We even got to see the signs that point to the oldest profession in the world. I am surprised at how much is so well preserved.

Try walking down that cobblestone path. It was a once in my lifetime experience. I would never walk up that path to Santorini.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
Haha, that smell! I assume you are talking about donkey path.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lord knows I love planning for a vacation. But it boggles my mind all the time and energy parents put into creating a spreadsheet for their Disney World vacation