• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney Old Key West Resort

rpluskota

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some information around the Disney OKW Resort. I traded my Marriott Oceanwatch week through II and confirmed into Disney Old Key West. I wondered if you get all the disney advantages when trading through II.
Also any information on the meal plan would be appreciated as well as any advantages you may get from staying onsite.

I own at Marriott Grande Vista and have always stayed there but decided to go onsite this February because my 3 year old wants to see Mickey and Minnie and need this trip to hopefully be as convenient as possible.

Thanks,
Ryan..........................................:)

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's a Disney-owned resort, and eligible for all the standard perks. Here's a list:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/resorts/benefitLanding?id=BenefitLandingPage

MouseSavers has a good run-down of the various meal plan options. In DVC, you can buy any meal plan offered during your trip without having to buy a package. Just call Member Services to set it up.

http://www.mousesavers.com/packages.html

We've stayed at OKW twice, and are due to again this upcoming February. It's a wonderful resort.

rpluskota

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.......Also wondering if you have a preferred area in the resort to request for villa assignment??

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.......Also wondering if you have a preferred area in the resort to request for villa assignment??

You will have to pay 95.00 when you check in for the use of their transportation. We had to pay in August on a trade into Disney.

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not listed in the list of perks above is free parking at the theme parks for onsite guests (DVC included) if you choose to drive rather than take Disney transportation.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The free parking pays for the $95 fee if you go to the parks every day. This is a very nice benefit of staying on site.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Technically, the $95 is only for the "privilege" of calling Member Services---it's the only thing you would not get in a direct exchange with an owner. Operationally, it's a simple extortion fee---but one that I and many others don't mind paying vs. staying offsite in, say, a Marriott when on a Disney-centric trip.

Also wondering if you have a preferred area in the resort to request for villa assignment??
Here is a map:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/okwmap.htm

There are two booking categories in the resort, "Near the Hospitality House" (buildings 11-14, 23-26) and "General Resort" (everything else). Your unit was drawn from one or the other category, and the category cannot be changed. If you call member services, they can tell you which category you are in---almost certainly, you are in "General Resort". HH units book more quickly, and DVC tends to deposit less-demanded inventory.

If you do not have a car, there is some benefit to being closer to HH. \

If you are in a 1BR or 2BR unit, there was a design change in unit layout halfway through building out the resort. Buildings 29 and lower do not have a door between the living room and the master bath. In those buildings, you have to walk through the master bedroom to get to the bath. Buildings 30 and higher do have this door.

Only 3 buildings (62, 63, 64) have elevators. All other buildings are 2-3 stories. Accessible rooms are scattered throughout the resort.

"Near the Hospitaltiy House" is a very common request. Another common request is "upper floor"---the lower views can sometimes be obstructed by vegetation, and the grand villas (with hardwood floors) are mostly on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Being under one can be noisy.

We tend to request "water view". This would not include most of the buildings closest to the roadways boardering the resort, and we really enjoy the peace and quiet of these other buildings. We generally have a rental car, so distance to central services is not an issue. Even without a car, it's not half bad---almost every bus stops at Peninsular Road first, and Hospitality House last. So, grab any bus in the resort to get to the Hospitality House. To get back, just walk out across the road to the Peninsular stop.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
don't forget to check out the community hall when you are there

the Community Hall a kids' room that has scheduled crafts, games ,etc., but also you can go from 8-8 and just hang out--my kids love to go and color Mickey sheets, play games there, and sit and watch a Disney show that might be playing. It's right by the pool--so very convenient. Also, the slide at OKW pool is great (it's in the sand castle), but really fast---be sure someone goes with the 3 yr old 1st--you can get life jackets for free by the kids room. There is a sandy play area, also behind the slide, so bring some sand toys. WE LOVED our stay there this summer. We had HH category (with no car). But if you have a car, it really doesn't matter--buses for WDW parks stop all along the resort.

About the only things you don't get thru II are pool hopping to other resorts, free valet parking at other resorts, and free DVD rental. Allears.net has good info about meal plans and also different meals--you can look at menus online. I would advise getting reservations at 407- wdw-dine for any sit-down meals, esp. character meals several months ahead of time--you can always cancel when you get there is your plans change.

Last edited:

moonlightgraham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bnoble knows his stuff!

Bnoble you really are an OKW expert! We've stayed four times at OKW on II exchanges and have always had a great time. I will say we've often had a choice of units to select from (except one time around Christmas when it was full). The CM checking you in should be able to give you some units to select from if you ask nice and they're not too busy!

Bnoble, I had a chance once to take a unit by the creek where the boats sail by to/from DTD. I didn't take it because of the distance to the HH but I later wished I had. Have you any experience in those units?

rpluskota

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the great info and advice, its exactly what I am looking for..... I wished I would have joined this site earlier.....I am really looking forward to the resort and it sounds very convenient which is important because my wife is pregnant and our three year old is, a hundred miles an hour so every little thing counts.

Thanks again, and if anything else pops up let me know... I will continue to check the thread.

Ryan

PS...How early should I call member services....to arrange the particulars, Meal plan, room, tickets etc. Going Feb 1st to 8th. :clap:

sls1003

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you can call member services now to reserve the dining plan and pay the $95 fee. They'll also take care of the reservations for Magical Express for you. if you are flying. The biggest thing is reserving the dining plan ahead of time. You don't have to pay for it until you check in, but they have to have it as part of your reservation a couple days ahead of your check in, they won't let you add it when you get. Park tickets you can buy when you get to the resort, although I think it is a little cheaper to buy them ahead of time.

On that same note, I'd make your priority seating reservations now, especially if you'd like to do any of the character meals. Some of the more popular restaurants book up super early.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Several months ago, they switched to charging you the $95 at check-in. I second the recommendation to make dining reservations early, especially for some of the more popular restaurants.

If you are relatively new to Disney, I'd pick up a 2009 edition of the Unofficial Guide to WDW. Very helpful.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I personally like Millers Road. It has a quiet pool and as long as you're not at the end of Millers Road, it's not a bad walk to the Hospitality House and main feature pool.

Near the Hospitality House is actually a guaranteed booking category now for DVC members booking on points. But I don't really like that area because of the traffic. It is very busy and noisy.

Penninsular Road would put you fairly close to the main pool and it's not a bad walk. Here's a link to a map of the resort:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/okwmap.htm