• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney in Hawaii -- a bit more info.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
DisneyResort%20Model.jpg

Disney_Hawaii_resort_rendering.jpg

Disney unveils plans for Hawaii resort hotel
Friday October 17, 12:23 pm ET
By David Briscoe, Associated Press Writer
Disney unveils fantasy-laden resort hotel complex plan for Oahu, first of its kind

KAPOLEI, Hawaii (AP) -- Seventy years after his first ride on Hawaii surf, Mickey Mouse is finally coming back to the islands.
Disney's plan for a Hawaii hotel complex unveiled Thursday is far from another Disneyland, both in distance and concept.

But Walt Disney Parks & Resorts' first venture in the islands will add 830 hotel and vacation time-share rooms, a fantasy-laden water play area and an 18,000 square-foot spa to the rapidly expanding Ko Olina resort on West Oahu.

A detailed scale model of the complex was displayed at a news conference with Disney officials and Honolulu Mayor Mufi Hannemann, who said the plans demonstrate how construction and business on the island continue to boom despite the global economic problems and drops in tourism.

It'll be the first such complex for Disney away from a theme park, combining a 350-room hotel with 480 vacation villas on one of Ko Olina's four man-made lagoons, which already feature a Marriott hotel and time shares, a luxury condominium project and wedding chapels.

"We plan to offer the opportunity for our guests to vacation in a completely new way, very different than they do at our theme park resorts, when they come here to Hawaii -- to be surrounded, to discover Oahu, to discover the Hawaiian Islands," said Disney resorts chairman Jay Rasulo.

The resort is expected to hire 1,000 "cast members," Rasulo said. Many will come from Oahu's relatively low-income Leeward Coast, where the city has been combatting the problem of homeless people living on the beaches.

Disney announced purchase of the 21-acre oceanfront site for $144 million a year ago, but Rasulo declined to say how much the resort would cost. He said the company wants to emphasize the storytelling tradition Disney brings to Hawaii and the cost of the project could change before completion expected in 2011.

He noted that one of Walt Disney's earliest films, "Hawaiian Holiday" of 1937, featured Mickey on a surfboard in the islands.

Disney also does film work in the islands, including production of ABC's "Lost" TV series.

Disney has several themed resort hotels near Disneyland in California and Disney World in Florida, but has never built a hotel and time-share complex that will stand on its own. Hawaii has no full-scale amusement park.

Rasulo had said there were no plans to expand the resort into a theme park.

The timeshare units will be part of the 350,000-member family-oriented Disney Vacation Club, which has eight other resorts.

Hannemann said the city and state are spending no money on the project and offered no special incentives to attract Disney to the islands. A $75 million unused tax credit allocated for construction of an aquarium at Ko Olina was pulled after the project was dropped.

Last edited:

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that the initial excitement has worn off...

Gosh I am looking at that picture again. Does anyone think that those GIGANTIC high rises on either side of the pools make it look like a cage? UGH. Could they not go with 5-6 stories instead of 12????

Kath.

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
Allows them to sell more "ocean view" properties! (Little joke for those who also read the Starwood board).

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't believe the size of the place. It looks like a city.. UGG. How many are units are set aside for DVC?

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't believe the size of the place. It looks like a city.. UGG. How many are units are set aside for DVC?

Speculation is that the larger building (on the right) is the DVC portion. The new resort is proposed to have 350 hotel rooms and 480 villas.

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice looking resort. Where exactly on the Vegas strip does Disney plan to put it?

-nodge

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice looking resort. Where exactly on the Vegas strip does Disney plan to put it?

-nodge

Exactly. :( Not really my cup of tea for Hawaii. Ah well. The kids will probably care less.

Katherine

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

-nodge

Yes, I agree. It doesn't look like DVC does it? Is the cost of property much more expensive there than in Orlando? I'm guessing it is or why would they build so high. I think it looks awful. We are out of the buying mode for DVC, or anyplace else for that matter. I am trying to divest many of my timeshares now that the economy, and my life savings, has gone bust.

Last edited:

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
fwiw, the height of the buildings is not inconsistent with the height of the nearby JW Marriott Ihilani hotel or Marriott Ko Olina timeshare.

And, yes, the price of the land there is very high. I heard once what they paid, but can't recall now. I did read though where early estimates of the price of the whole project was $800 million.

Last edited: