• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disappointed with Palm Aire

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We live about 25 minutes from the Pompano Beach resorts. I book Palm-Aire I'd say at least four or five times a year when we have guests. Once in awhile I'll book Royal Vista too. We've been fortunate in that we haven't had many issues.

Palm-Aire is a busy resort and a good sized one too. Getting all the units turned over in a timely manner is a challenge at any busy, large resort. Sometimes the hallways smell musty but that happens in Florida. We've had that at Bonnet Creek.

Something we do that I saw someone else mention is arrive early. If the unit isn't ready we run errands, have lunch, hang out in the outside seating areas. When we do get in the unit it's still early enough in the day for them to be able to do something if there's a problem with the unit. When you arrive late afternoon or early evening or don't get into your unit until then and there's an issue there's often no options left.

One thing I've noticed is that once you're in a unit the resort is very resistant to moving you. I think that's a management directive to the front desk staff.

A lot of the complaints are from people who book through RCI. Those units are in Queen and Royal Palm buildings. Also from the Wyndham owners or their guests who have reservations those buildings and aren't happy once they get to the resort and see where their unit is.

troy12n

Reaction score
In addition to RCI, users can book Palm Aire through the Wyndham Hotels side. It costs 30,000 WR points per night, I have seen them there before, 1 and 2BR, I would have to assume they go into Fountain and Queen Palm

schreff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KBV, Bali Hai, Wyndham Palm Aire, Bonnet Creek, Patriot's Place, Harbour, Sea Watch, etc.
I think you will be ok. Snowbird season seems to be the worst and I imagine it is because of multiple multi-week reservations. I also suggest you plan on arriving earlier in the day (not later than 5pm).
Yes, good advice. Calling and/or emailing multi individuals meant nothing even though we are VIP Plats owning over 1/2 M developer points there along with 300,000 resale points. Palm Aire is our home resort and we made it perfectly clear when we requested our unit at the time of booking that any Areca poolside unit would be fine. Our problem is that they fill the units with anyone who comes in early and there is a room ready. Forget about VIP 2 PM early check in or the ability to request a specific unit, these benefits are down the drain. Ain't doing the snowbird thing there anymore even thought the weather is great and the activities are fun. Also, the housekeeping and maintenance staff is great too. Management is the ?????????

schreff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KBV, Bali Hai, Wyndham Palm Aire, Bonnet Creek, Patriot's Place, Harbour, Sea Watch, etc.
In addition to RCI, users can book Palm Aire through the Wyndham Hotels side. It costs 30,000 WR points per night, I have seen them there before, 1 and 2BR, I would have to assume they go into Fountain and Queen Palm
Me too. Perhaps just another factor in their over booking syndrome.

lotus921v

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham South Shore, Wyndham Bali Hai, Wyndham Shearwater, Worldmark, Regal Vistas at Massanutten, Marriott Grand Chateau
We live about 25 minutes from the Pompano Beach resorts. I book Palm-Aire I'd say at least four or five times a year when we have guests. Once in awhile I'll book Royal Vista too. We've been fortunate in that we haven't had many issues.

Palm-Aire is a busy resort and a good sized one too. Getting all the units turned over in a timely manner is a challenge at any busy, large resort. Sometimes the hallways smell musty but that happens in Florida. We've had that at Bonnet Creek.

Something we do that I saw someone else mention is arrive early. If the unit isn't ready we run errands, have lunch, hang out in the outside seating areas. When we do get in the unit it's still early enough in the day for them to be able to do something if there's a problem with the unit. When you arrive late afternoon or early evening or don't get into your unit until then and there's an issue there's often no options left.

One thing I've noticed is that once you're in a unit the resort is very resistant to moving you. I think that's a management directive to the front desk staff.

A lot of the complaints are from people who book through RCI. Those units are in Queen and Royal Palm buildings. Also from the Wyndham owners or their guests who have reservations those buildings and aren't happy once they get to the resort and see where their unit is.

I had booked directly through Wyndham and paid for the Areca building. They gave our unit away and put us in Royal

troy12n

Reaction score
I had booked directly through Wyndham and paid for the Areca building. They gave our unit away and put us in Royal

You are speculating that's what happened, but have zero evidence that this is actually what happened. You don't know, neither do we.

Did they overbook? Maybe?
Was the room you had assigned unusable (for any reason)? Maybe

Did they give your room away? Maybe, but to whom? This is where your speculation falls flat... "give it away" to whom? And what does Wyndham gain by something like this?
Fact is, this is an older resort, older resorts have maintenance issues. Pipes break, toilets break, shower fixtures break, air conditioners break, refrigerators and other appliances break. Which would render the unit "out of service".

You booked it during spring break month, the previous tenants could have been some unruly college students who trashed or damaged the unit and they possibly could not get it ready for you.

These are all things more inside the realm of possibility moreso than "they gave it away", which is irresponsible speculation.

Sometimes these things happen, and there is a reasonable explanation, not a infowars level conspiracy theory about how they are out to get you. Despite rhetoric to the contrary from a couple disgruntled owners, Wyndham desires happy owners, they know putting them in lesser units creates unhappy owners, so they have a vested interest in NOT doing this.

It seems this resort has a reputation for doing this more often than one would think, but one really cannot know if there is a legitimate reason for it or not.

This week, i'm at Kingsgate and got put in a Mobility unit. It's not ideal, but i'm dealing with it. The sink is tiny and makes cleaning dishes almost unbearable The shower doesn't have a shower curtain, because I guess that's how this accessible shower was designed. Me and my family are dealing with it. When I asked about it, the resort said they are at capacity, and that tracks with the number of people and cars I see.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You are speculating that's what happened, but have zero evidence that this is actually what happened. You don't know, neither do we.

Did they overbook? Maybe?
Was the room you had assigned unusable (for any reason)? Maybe

Did they give your room away? Maybe, but to whom? This is where your speculation falls flat... "give it away" to whom? And what does Wyndham gain by something like this?
Fact is, this is an older resort, older resorts have maintenance issues. Pipes break, toilets break, shower fixtures break, air conditioners break, refrigerators and other appliances break. Which would render the unit "out of service".

You booked it during spring break month, the previous tenants could have been some unruly college students who trashed or damaged the unit and they possibly could not get it ready for you.

These are all things more inside the realm of possibility moreso than "they gave it away", which is irresponsible speculation.

Sometimes these things happen, and there is a reasonable explanation, not a infowars level conspiracy theory about how they are out to get you. Despite rhetoric to the contrary from a couple disgruntled owners, Wyndham desires happy owners, they know putting them in lesser units creates unhappy owners, so they have a vested interest in NOT doing this.

It seems this resort has a reputation for doing this more often than one would think, but one really cannot know if there is a legitimate reason for it or not.

This week, i'm at Kingsgate and got put in a Mobility unit. It's not ideal, but i'm dealing with it. The sink is tiny and makes cleaning dishes almost unbearable The shower doesn't have a shower curtain, because I guess that's how this accessible shower was designed. Me and my family are dealing with it. When I asked about it, the resort said they are at capacity, and that tracks with the number of people and cars I see.
If it was a maintenance issue, wouldn't the resort have been more forthcoming with the reason why they were moved to a different section?

troy12n

Reaction score
If it was a maintenance issue, wouldn't the resort have been more forthcoming with the reason why they were moved to a different section?

We don't know that they weren't... all of it is pure speculation. Also, i'm not sure I would expect the check-in people to even know if that was the issue or not. They don't assign rooms, they just check people in. The resort GM, if the OP had engaged them, would have been able to get a more detailed response about the room assignment.

And I guarantee you their answer would not have been "we gave your room away"

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
We don't know that they weren't... all of it is pure speculation. Also, i'm not sure I would expect the check-in people to even know if that was the issue or not. They don't assign rooms, they just check people in. The resort GM, if the OP had engaged them, would have been able to get a more detailed response about the room assignment.

And I guarantee you their answer would not have been "we gave your room away"

Their answer might not be the truth, either.

Resort managers have a whole sack full of reasons for moving a guest that can't be verified or disproven.

troy12n

Reaction score
Their answer might not be the truth, either.

Resort managers have a whole sack full of reasons for moving a guest that can't be verified or disproven.

While I would agree with you, I think the actual truth is, the resort didn't "give away" their unit.

They were either overbooked, or there was a maintenance issue. Period.

Now, being overbooked is not an excuse, it's unacceptable if this is a regular practice there, which it almost sounds like it may be... but "their" room wasn't given away... if you rationally scrutinize that statement, you will find it's really inconceivable.

To remove a room from someone and give it to someone else has a consequence and I cannot fathom a scenario where this would happen. If I was to speculate, they have X number of room type requested, and Y reservations... the OP arrived at the resort after inventory of room type X had been depleted. For whatever reason. So they got moved.

Admittedly this is unacceptable for the OP. But let's not let this devolve into a infowars level conspiracy theory or speculation on the nefarious behind the scenes tactics of Wyndham... because taking off your tin foil hats, you will realize that that's not what is going on...

troy12n

Reaction score
Or to put it another way, "given away" implies a nefarious or injurious motive or intent to harm the affected individual. I don't see that conceivably happening.

The OP was definitely inconvenienced by being put in a different section than they booked, and should have been made whole, as best they could. And it sounds like they were, eventually.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Semantics. Bottom line is the OP didn't get what they booked. What was substituted, for whatever reason, was inferior and unacceptable.

Eggrollcreative

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Elara, Worldmark, Seagull Beach Club, Vacation Internationale
Yup Spring Break, why they ask where we want to be I’ll never understand…they did give us a corner unit. It is a great size but A/C makes a sound like a clown winding down when it shuts off…they did fix it…the perfume smell of air fresheners is very strong…the elevator got hung up for about 15 minutes…they fixed that also…so glad we were not on first floor where hallway has a smell that could be urine in the first section. Also sad we had to use a laundry room, no laundry in the unit. I do appreciate all the activities…tennis, mini golf, Pilates, music and karaoke nights…love the walking path along the ponds/lakes…may be our last time there though. Leave it for the families to enjoy.

snickers104

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview RCI Points, Wyndham CWA
If I book a 2bdrm through RCI but add 3 nights prior to the RCI reservation with Wyndham points in Sabal do you think they will make me move?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
If I book a 2bdrm through RCI but add 3 nights prior to the RCI reservation with Wyndham points in Sabal do you think they will make me move?

Afaik the RCI units are in Queen and Royal Palm buildings. Your best bet would be to call the resort to let them know you have the Wyndham reservation and the RCI reservation. Ask them to note on your reservations that you would like to be able to stay in the same unit in Sabal or Fountain Palms buildings. The earlier you can get there the day your reservation begins the better off you will be. If you'll be there at a very busy time I don't know what your chances of success will be. Good luck.

vroomandzoom

Reaction score
We were at Palm-Aire a few weeks ago and our washer/dry unit broke and was replaced within 1 hour!

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
the OP arrived at the resort after inventory of room type X had been depleted. For whatever reason. So they got moved.
In some states this kinda hotel type bait and switch is considered deceptive business practices.

No matter what you believe happened to cause the “move” the OP should not have to wait to checkout before they will discuss the points difference and or refund…OP should not have had to get on the phone with Wyndham-

As soon as whomever made the decision that OP was to be moved that process should have started with minimum a phone call to OP- with an apology and a suggested solution such as this is what we have available…

I have only had rooms go down with DVC and my family needed to be moved in the middle of the night. I had stopped by the desk with a maintenance request after we returned back from the parks.

The acting manager- had us moved to a different building, other than where we booked, as Jumbo house was full. We didn’t lift a finger entire room was done by staff. We were given an upgraded room view, each of us received gift cards and my points for the entire stay were returned. I did not have to ask for anything as far as compensation it was just done.

I have no expectations for this level of service at Wyndham but a some sort of reasonable customer service would have been appropriate not apathy.

schreff

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were at Palm-Aire a few weeks ago and our washer/dry unit broke and was replaced within 1 hour!
Agree, Palm Aire has a fine maintenance staff but a crumb doesn't equal a whole loaf of bread. VIPs and home resort owner's who bought into the VIP program should at least have their benefits recognized as promised and as written within the contract and supporting documentation.