• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Did I get ripped off?

RyanBuckner

Reaction score
5 years ago I bought Fairfield Resorts 66K points/ yr for about $7K when I fell for the big 90 minute talk. Now I see that on eBay I can buy 500K points per year for $5K.

Have the points gone down in value that much or did I get ripped off?

Bill4728

Reaction score
Most TS you try and sell will be about 40-50% of what you paid from the developer. BUT, FF/Wyndham has a really low resale value. The average resale price for FF pts is about $10/ 1000 pts.

Did you get ripped off? NO, but buying from the developer is almost always a bad deal. IMHO, with FF is a really bad deal.

tlsbooks

TUG Member
Reaction score
5 years ago I bought Fairfield Resorts 66K points/ yr for about $7K when I fell for the big 90 minute talk.

Hopefully you have enjoyed 5 years of wonderful, memorable vacations and have many more planned.

After 5 years, worrying about being "ripped off" is fruitless. Most of us bought our first time share from a developer and have discovered that we probably paid more than we would have liked to...but there's that whole "spilled milk" thing. :D

Learn to maximize the use of what you have and educate yourself so next time you purchase, it won't be at developer prices.

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey you are feeling like most homeowners now. My mother in law purchased her house 2 years ago and her builder is building her model for $50K less than she purchased for...oh well. Can't change that so she is enjoying her home.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My wife works for a home-construction company that just sold a house for $90K less than the "official" price used to be. This model sold like gang-busters at the higher-price up until last year and the folks who bought then may be kicking themselves. The R/E market is not within its control, however, and at this point, the company is just trying to survive. Them's the breaks.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Past Tense Rip-Off.

Have the points gone down in value that much or did I get ripped off?
It's not so much a total rip-off as a case of timeshare sellers taking advantage of people who have not yet found out that there's no difference between "new" & "used" when it comes to timeshares. So people can hardly be blamed for paying big bux for "new" timeshares instead of getting exactly the same thing (or equivalent) "used" for nickels on the full-freight dollar. I mean, who knew ?

In your case, that's far enough back in the misty recesses of the past that there's no need to feel bad about it retroactively.

Might as well just enjoy using what you've got & move on.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

topcop400

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Wyndham Oceanside Pier
Wyndham Old Town Alexandria
I'd look at it this way:

You got out of there with only a small package of points. Kudos to you. You MUST have said "no" at least three times! It could have been MUCH worse.