• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Did I get a good Deal

Gengee

Reaction score
Hello people,
just wondering if I did ok out of this, I think so but I am a newbie :)
I put my two weeks for next year (wks31 &32 2BR Vistana Spa) into II looking for a swap to a ski resort for December 2009. I managed to get one 2BR for a week and then a 1 BR for the second. I am going to the Grand Timber Lodge in Breckenridge, Colorado, the kids will have to rough it for week two :).

I did it all through II, I did not speak to anyone in Starwood, is that the right way to go ? this is my first attempt at doing anything involving Timeshare and the like.

As a cheeky follow up, anyone been there or there abouts ? anyone know what its like ?

Later

Gengee

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Absolutely - great deal, and I will be there in Dec 09 as well (via II exchange). It's a fantastic resort.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great resort but very high up. Isn't the elevation over 10,000??

I was feeling it big time when we were there. Just something to consider with little kids...

Katherine

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I was feeling it big time when we were there. Just something to consider with little kids...

I was there with my nephews last year and they were fine... Breckenridge is a fantastic place to ski (and learn to ski).

Gengee

Reaction score
Thanks for that :) glad I did well.
This will be my first time Ski-ing, I have never wanted to go, I come form Scotland where snow is cold and wet :) My wife insists that it can be dry, I will have to find out I suppose.
I don't think the altitude will be a problem the kids are or will be 16 and 11, so not little kids :).

Now I just have to lose the beer belly, quit smoking and drinking and do some exercise so I can last more than one day sliding uncontrolled down a mountain :)

Later

Gengee

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Altitude may bother adults more

Well,
I would try to reduce or totally skip the smoking and drinking while in Breck. You do not want to end up in the ER with Altitude sickness, it can make you VERY sick. Be careful and do not drink ANY alcoholic beverages, coffee, or tea you first few days. If you can reduce the smoking it will help also. You are coming a long distance, Breck is beautiful and the Grand Timber is wonderful property. Just do not take the Altitude lightly....

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that :) glad I did well.
This will be my first time Ski-ing, I have never wanted to go, I come form Scotland where snow is cold and wet :) My wife insists that it can be dry, I will have to find out I suppose.
I don't think the altitude will be a problem the kids are or will be 16 and 11, so not little kids :).

Now I just have to lose the beer belly, quit smoking and drinking and do some exercise so I can last more than one day sliding uncontrolled down a mountain :)

Later

Gengee

You will want to purchase some sun screen as well. you would be surprised how well the sun reflects off of the soft VERY DRY snow. Lip-balm is a must!

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Posted prior Altitude sickness

Well, I do not want to scare our new Tug friend from Europe. But, I want to make sure he does enjoy his vacation to Colorado. It is beautiful and we spend as much time as we can in Summit County. But, we always have to take one or two days to get used to the altitude. We live at sea level, so it takes us a couple of days to get used to the change. We drink LOTS of water, do not drink alcohol for 2-3 days, live with the coffee withdrawal and we do not smoke, so that is not an issue. The hardest thing for us is limiting the the coffee we drink, but this is only for the first day or two. Anyway this has been posted many times before - but here it is again

ALTITUDE or MOUNTAIN SICKNESS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following article was developed by reviewing various articles published on this topic. Their absolute accuracy can not be determined.

Researched and Prepared by:
Lou Sclafani

ALTITUDE or MOUNTAIN SICKNESS

Altitude or Mountain Sickness is a health issue that effects most travelers heading to higher elevations. Symptoms begin to occur in some people at an altitude of as low as 8,000 feet, but serious symptoms do not usually occur until over 12,000.

When researching altitude sickness you may come across a number of other names and related illnesses. Let’s look at what they might be called.

Acute Mountain Sickness or AMS. AMS may be sub categorized as Mild, Moderate and Severe. More severe cases are known as High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE) and
High Altitude Cerebral Edema (HACE). For now, let’s just say that HAPE and HACE are much more severe and just talk about Mild AMS and ways to prevent it and to deal with it.

The symptoms of mild AMS include Headache, Nausea & Dizziness, Loss of Appetite, Fatigue, Shortness of Breath, Disturbed Sleep and a General Feeling of Malaise. The onset of these symptoms usually start 12 to 24 hours after arrival at higher altitudes and tend to be worse at night when your respiratory drive is decreased. These symptoms begin to decrease in severity around the second or third day.

Why do we get AMS? It is difficult to determine who may be affected by AMS sine there are no specific risk factors such as age, sex, or physical condition that correlate with susceptibility. It’s strictly based on how fast you ascend not necessarily how high you ascend. While a physically fit person is no more susceptible than a less fit person, the fact that a fit person may race to the top is what makes the fit person more likely to be affected by AMS.

It’s a simple case of there being a lower barometric pressure at higher altitudes which in turn means fewer Oxygen molecules are being inhaled per breath. It’s probably not that important for the average skier to know about the % of oxygen, and measurement of air pressure in mmHg that we are talking about here, but they should be aware that the higher the altitude the worse it gets. Perhaps you have heard the term “thin air”? That’s what we’re talking about.

Since the main cause of AMS is going too high too quickly, the main way to avoid it is to ascend slowly. This will allow your body to acclimate itself to the higher elevations. That’s why mild AMS seems to go away by the third day (unless you hit the all you can eat buffet at Taco Tony’s). Being the sea level flat landers from Florida that we are, we’re probably more affected by AMS than someone who lives year round at a seemingly modest elevation of four or five thousand feet. These people are already partially acclimated but even they will need to be acclimated to even higher altitudes.

What can you do before you leave for the mountains to help prevent the effects of AMS? Here are a few suggestions:

• Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water. 3-4 quarts of water a day are recommended. If you are just beginning to drink this much water you should start at least two weeks prior. Consumption of extra water will cause excessive trips to the rest room and your body will need to acclimate to this as well. A couple of weeks should do it. Besides the inconvenience, if you wait until you get to the mountain those extra trips to the rest room may cause dehydration as well.
• For at least 72 hours prior, avoid alcohol, coffee, soda, smoking, sleeping pills and narcotics. OK, you may not be able to cut out completely the alcohol or coffee but you should cut back. Excess consumption of alcohol and coffee promotes dehydration (bad), the carbon dioxide in soda interferes with oxygen in your bloodstream (bad), smoking makes it more difficult to get oxygen to your blood (bad) and the drugs, well the drugs are just bad. All may decrease ventilation, intensify hypoxia and make symptoms worse.
• Before the trip maintain a good work/rest cycle, avoiding excessive work hours and last minute packing.
• Avoid heavy exercises. Mild exercises are OK.
• Consult with your physician. There are a number of medications the Doctor may prescribe. These include Diamox and Dexamethasone as a preventative.

Once you have left for the mountains there are a few more things you can do:

• If possible you should tier or stage your steps to higher elevations.
• Don’t over do it. Plan on minimal activities your first day.
• Ascend in stages of about 1,000 feet per day.

Despite your pre-trip efforts you may still feel the effects of AMS. In this case there are a number of treatments that you can try.

• Drink more water. You can’t get enough! Breathing dry air at altitude greatly increases water loss and promotes dehydration. Dehydration increases the severity of AMS.
• Avoid extra salt. It’s the dehydration thing.
• Try Aspirin, Tylenol or Ibuprofen for the headache.
• Try Ginko Biloba extract for increased peripheral blood flow.
• While at a higher altitude eat a high carbohydrate diet. The heck with Atkins here. About 70% of you caloric intake should be from easily digested carbohydrates such as fruits, jams and starches (rice and pasta). Eat frequently (5 times per day)
• Return to a lower altitude.
• Seek medical treatment. A qualified physician may prescribe a number of medications and treatments that may include 100% Oxygen, Diamox (acetazolamide), Procardia (nifedipine), Decadron (dexamethasone), Compazine (prochlorperazine), Phenergan (promethazine) or Lasix (frusemide). A trip to a hyperbaric chamber or the use of a Gamow Bag may also be appropriate. These treatments though are usually reserved for more serious cases of Altitude Sickness and should only be initiated by a qualified and licensed physician. They are mentioned here only as a resource so you may discuss these options with your physician. Dosages and strengths vary from case to case. Please do not try and self medicate.

Hopefully with a few precautions and some tips on dealing with the symptoms of AMS, we can enjoy the precious little time available to us on the mountain as opposed to laying around sick in our hotel room (or worse) all week.

There are a number of articles available on the internet on this subject. A few of those are listed below. Feel free to browse through them and read about AMS for yourself.

http://www.skimag.com/skimag/fitness...325797,00.html

http://www.personal.usyd.edu.au/~gerhard/pressure.html

http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/altitude.htm

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/safety/altitude.html

http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanu...er281/281a.jsp

http://www.medformation.com/ac/crssm...itude.sickness

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic22.htm

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/illnes..._sickness.html

http://www.nrel.gov/altitude.html

http://www.ciwec-clinic.com/altitude/

http://www.chclibrary.org/micromed/00036940.html.

Gengee

Reaction score
WOW
Thank you one and all for taking the time to give such good advice :) I will certainly take it onboard. To tell you the absolute truth I had not even considered it, altitude sickness that is, I had thought about the sun block, and I am still not going to believe in DRY snow until I fall over in it and do not get wet :)
Floridaski, your post was an eyeopener so a special thanks to you.

I have in excess of a year before the trip 4th Dec '09 so hopefully I can make some headway on my more unsavoury habits, the wife and kids keep nagging me about smoking anyway :)

Thanks

Gengee