• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Diamond Sampler a rip off?

sssung

Reaction score
Went to an "owner's" update at the Point at Poiou which turned into a high pressure sales pitch. We said no to everything that was offered to buy into The Club. We are an traditional deeded week owner from a resort which Diamond acquired and have no plans to buy anymore into timeshares. However, we still got tricked into buying a Sampler package during a " hospitality survey". The sales person told us many benefits which were not true according the all those fine prints in the contract. Benefits such as we can use the Sampler to come back to the Point at Poipu for 8500 pts/week when the Point at Poipu isn't even on the list for use as sampler; we were told there are 48 resorts we can travel to when only 25 are listed on the contract. We feel so taken by Diamond.

We're stuck with it and would likd to make the best of it. Has anyone have had the sampler?can you please share your experience? How easy is if to use? Was availability there? How far in advance should reservation be made?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

lindaswain

TUG Member
Reaction score
How long ago did you buy "the sampler?"

We went to an owner's update on Sunday, June 5 in Chandler. After 5 hours, we bought "the sampler." After I read the fine print and saw that it wasn't going to pan out the way it had been explained to us, first thing the next morning I drove up to the Scottsdale Villa Mirage where I was able to speak to the gentleman who sold it to us, asked for the cancellation papers/procedure, filled out the papers and sent them by overnight mail to Diamond Resorts in Las Vegas. Two days ago, our payment was refunded.

sssung

Reaction score
How long ago did you buy "the sampler?"

We went to an owner's update on Sunday, June 5 in Chandler. After 5 hours, we bought "the sampler." After I read the fine print and saw that it wasn't going to pan out the way it had been explained to us, first thing the next morning I drove up to the Scottsdale Villa Mirage where I was able to speak to the gentleman who sold it to us, asked for the cancellation papers/procedure, filled out the papers and sent them by overnight mail to Diamond Resorts in Las Vegas. Two days ago, our payment was refunded.

Lindaswain, thank you for your reply. I'm so glad you were able to cancel.

The persons/team who sold it to us were not gentlemen unfortunately. Our contract states no cancellation but we didn't get to read that page at all because we were told to verify the personal information on top, if accurate, sign on bottom. Then the pages was taking away somewhere down the hall. Of course the verbage of no cancellation was squeezed in there about 2/3 ways down the page. Subsequetly, we got the run around big time. No one was to be found the next morning when we went back to sale office on site in Poipu. I left messages with three people in the Poipu sales to no avail. Of course calling Las Vegas Headquarters didn't get any where either. Two days later the sales person who sold the package told me his boss is the only person who can approve the cancel but just happened that he is not in the office. At the same time denied everything he has told us about the sampler. This boss manager was finally available 6 days later told us no one has ever cancelled a sampler so he doesn't know how nor have the means to do so (yeah right). When I told him that I found it odd that they can't just swipe my card to process a refund while they can swipe the card to charge, that's when he started to insult and intimidate us.... calling us liars in claiming his team's misrepresentation. It was a awful yucky in your stomach type of experience. What a bunch of savages :mad:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Well we cancelled a Sampler after we found out we had been lied to thanks to TUG. But we cancelled the very next morning. It was not our main issue, but we also discovered that we were only able to go to certain resorts after the fact. I think by the time lots of folks have rejected everything else they have to offer, their brains are so fried from all the gobbledygook that Sampler Sam can swoop right in and pry $3K out of them just so they can get away and back to their vacation.

That being said, we fully enjoyed the Wyndham sampler we bought and we were able to get into Alexandria and Waikiki Beach Walk with it -- they even extended it a few months for us when we couldn't get our dates to work. However we will NEVER sit for another Wyndham presentation -- those folks are bad to the bone. We do happily own Worldmark, but from some of the things I read on Facebook I fear that Worldmark presentations are becoming more and more like their high pressure Wyndham corporate buddies.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cancellation of a Sampler varies by purchase location. Apparently it is regulated by State law. Some States require a cancellation period, others do not.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're stuck with it and would likd to make the best of it. Has anyone have had the sampler?can you please share your experience? How easy is if to use? Was availability there? How far in advance should reservation be made?

We found the Sampler very difficult to use. Availability was limited, resort selection was limited. That was in 2013-14. I read in another forum about someone who used all their Sampler points for three consecutive weeks in the winter to get away from snow. I would consider that if I had to do it over. And there would be only one mandatory sales presentation.

sssung

Reaction score
Cancellation of a Sampler varies by purchase location. Apparently it is regulated by State law. Some States require a cancellation period, others do not.

Unfortunately, Hawaii does not require cancellation period, so we cannot cancel even after a few hours of realizing we were cheated :(

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Hawaii does not require cancellation period, so we cannot cancel even after a few hours of realizing we were cheated :(

That's a pretty strong reason to peddle the Sampler. Once the signature is on the dotted line, game over! No fear of cancel after the mark leaves the office.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
All the more reason to SAY "NO" to every question you are asked by any representative of Diamond Resorts International.

JUST SAY NO.

To the person/family that endured 5 hours with a Diamond Resorts International representative, my heart reaches out to you. And then, to have to expend even more times to try to undo a contract, is just, sad.

Lesson to be learned, for others, "JUST SAY "NO" to any and every request (invitation! (isn't that a joke?)) by a Diamond Resorts International to buy anything from them.

I used to think of those Diamond people as "pigs wearing lipstick," but, in fact, I believe they are far worse than that.

sssung

Reaction score
All the more reason to SAY "NO" to every question you are asked by any representative of Diamond Resorts International.

JUST SAY NO.

To the person/family that endured 5 hours with a Diamond Resorts International representative, my heart reaches out to you. And then, to have to expend even more times to try to undo a contract, is just, sad.

Lesson to be learned, for others, "JUST SAY "NO" to any and every request (invitation! (isn't that a joke?)) by a Diamond Resorts International to buy anything from them.

I used to think of those Diamond people as "pigs wearing lipstick," but, in fact, I believe they are far worse than that.

It is definitely an expensive lesson learned!!! I guess Diamond just provided me with many opportunities to "just say no", LOL, because the purchaser of the Sampler has to attend a presentation every single time the sampler is used to book accommodation...what torture we just put ourselves into arghhhh :mad:

lindaswain

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found this comment on another website. It sums up the "homeowner update" experience very well. (I will write one thousand times, I WILL NOT ATTEND ANY TIMESHARE PRESENTATION AGAIN!!!)

Source: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1120715

"29th Aug 08, 12:08 AM

I've been to one of those type things some years back.

90 Minute sales pitch is about right........ followed by about 4-5 HOURS of HARD SELLING!!

The 90 Mins is the presentation where they show videos of all the opportunities and waffle about the greatness of it all.

I consider myself to be quite level headed and had ABSOLUTELY no intention of buying any of their rubbish but "my word" did they lay it on thick?

It got to the point where we had three of them leaning over us talking to each other about how they can't understand how we can be so stupid as to not want to sign up with them. It really was emotional bullying, not persuading..... bullying!

When I raised my voice and started a bit of fist banging on the table the Background music in the room went up a few notches to drown out my voice so the other victims couldn't hear.

Even I considered just signing the damn thing but cancelling it afterwards just to get away!!

Eventually I got my way and we left on very bitter terms (I almost felt violated!!)

It did annoy me though to hear so many Champagne Corks being popped from so many other tables where people had signed up.

Apart from that we had a nice time, the Hotel and staff are nothing to do with it at all, once the day has been wasted with these vultures you can enjoy yourself.

I wouldn't recommend going though unless you are 100% commited to not joining no matter how they make it sound (and they do make it sound good).

Even if you are quite a strong character, don't underestimate the pressure they will put on you.

Not for the feint hearted at all.

Last edited by CHR15; 29-08-2008 at 12:10 AM."

eakhat

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we bought the DRI Sampler in Maui, we didn't realize it couldn't be cancelled. The salesperson led us to believe that it wouldn't be a problem to book Point at Poipu for one week and Ka'anapali Beach Club for one week the following winter. As soon as we got home, I attempted to make reservations; however, nothing was available. That's when I found out we couldn't rescind. I called DRI headquarters and got permission, after some convincing, to extend the Sampler for a year. We hadn't intended to return to Hawaii the following year but did so we could use the DRI Sampler. We booked KBC for 1 week and Ka'anapali Shores for 9 days, using up most of the 15,000 points. Part of the package is listening to another presentation, which we did. It wasn't very pleasant, and we won't do another DRI presentation.

jenniflg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Extortion

We went to an Owners Update and it was the worst experience. It should not be legal. It is pure extortion. We were made to feel worthless and stupid. After 2 1/2 hours I just walked out in tears. It ruined our vacation. Their tactics are horrible. We are currently trying the deed back program with Diamond that others have had success with so fingers crossed. We will never go to a timeshare presentation either with Diamond if we can't surrender it or anyone else. I feel so bad for everyone getting sucked into their web.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Diamond Samplers Worked for us

We have had 2 Diamond samplers. We used one for 6 nights at Avila Beach and 6 nights at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort. We used the 2nd for 17 nights at Kaanapali Beach Club. Can't say that either sampler disappointed us. All-in-all, these were quite reasonably priced vacations...at locations we wanted to visit.

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score

We too bought our sampler by lies from the sales person from Kaanapali beach club. We are platinum member and I guess we did kind of trust them will not lie to us since KBC is our home resort and we bought all our points from there. We found out when we tried to make reservation of the sampler. With $2995 paid in the front, we can get one week in September in Manapali shore one bedroom and the points left can get us from Sunday 6 nights in polo tower one bedroom in October. Not even a whole week I polo tower. The sales person said we could get 4 weeks in Hawaii in one bedroom. Besides when I call in for reservation, DRI wonder why a platinum member would get a sampler package. We will never by another point from DRI.

sssung

Reaction score
More Salt on Injury

Trying to get the best out of a raw deal/experience with Diamond and booked a 7-night Sampler stay at Kona. Since the Sampler allowed one-time change/cancellation within 7 days of bookin; when we cancelled this booking 4 days later there was no problem and was told my $300 deposit will be refunded within 7-10 days. Well, it has been more than 10 days and the required deposit hasn't showed up yet :mad:
A call to Sampler department today and was told the refund was never initiated.....Why am I not surprised. I have absolutely no faith in this company, doing everything to rip people off.

sssung

Reaction score
We have had 2 Diamond samplers. We used one for 6 nights at Avila Beach and 6 nights at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort. We used the 2nd for 17 nights at Kaanapali Beach Club. Can't say that either sampler disappointed us. All-in-all, these were quite reasonably priced vacations...at locations we wanted to visit.
Hi Bobpark56, so glad you're able to use the Sampler for 17 nights...just curious how you were able to book more than 7-nights when the Sampler contract specifically states no more or less than 7 day bookings. In addition, how long did it take for Diamond to refund you the $300 reservation deposit which they charged at the time of booking? Thank you in advance for your input.

sssung

Reaction score
We too bought our sampler by lies from the sales person from Kaanapali beach club. We are platinum member and I guess we did kind of trust them will not lie to us since KBC is our home resort and we bought all our points from there. We found out when we tried to make reservation of the sampler. With $2995 paid in the front, we can get one week in September in Manapali shore one bedroom and the points left can get us from Sunday 6 nights in polo tower one bedroom in October. Not even a whole week I polo tower. The sales person said we could get 4 weeks in Hawaii in one bedroom. Besides when I call in for reservation, DRI wonder why a platinum member would get a sampler package. We will never by another point from DRI.
Wow, I can't believe Diamond are still trying to rip a Platinum member off...maybe they figure this is the only way they can get more money out of you by lying. At the same time, I will not buy anything from DRI after being lied to. I don't even want my deeded week which DRI inherited me as a owner when they purchased my home resort a few years ago.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
After having embarrassed Cliff once again at Rivierea Oaks last month by snapping at the sales gal when she wouldn't take NO for an answer on the fourth try, I was on my best behavior last week during our Event of a Lifetime sales presentation. Good behavior at least until the sampler guy sat down. Then I told him in my best nasty tone that I couldn't believe he was trying to sell a platinum member a sampler and to stop wasting our time.

lovesexy

TUG Member
Reaction score
diamond sampler

I actually purchased two Diamond samplers. I purchased one . was able to squeeze three weeks out of it with no booking issues... at very nice places. went to a sales presentation....decided that even though I love the Resorts....I don't want diamonds high maintenance fees. The lady gave me lifetime club access if I took another sampler so I said ok

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
"lovesexy" - what an interesting user name for a timeshare forum. Where are you going with that?

Last edited:

sssung

Reaction score
Dispute Sampler charge

Hi all, I just wanted to provide an update on my unhappy Sampler purchase. If you've read the upstream messages, you'll know that like many others, I too was scammed into buying the Sampler. I charge the whole purchase amount of the Sampler onto my Chase credit card and I did file a dispute immediately after the charge was posted to my account. I am happy to inform the dispute resolved in my favor!! :cheer::cheer: Here's the timeline:

6/16/2016: Sampler purchased
6/20/2016: Filed dispute with Chase when charge posted to my account
6/27/2016: Chase asked for more supporting documents and information for my dispute.
7/15/2016: Received temporary credit for the purchase amount of the Sampler.
7/22/2016: Received letter from Chase explaining about temporary credit. Chase informed that Diamond has 2 billing cycles to respond to dispute.
9/23/2016: Received letter from Chase informing me about the dispute is resolved in my favor.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Did you try to cancel/rescind or did you immediately dispute the charge with the CC? Most sampler type programs have provisions for written rescission while others do not.

sssung

Reaction score
Did you try to cancel/rescind or did you immediately dispute the charge with the CC? Most sampler type programs have provisions for written rescission while others do not.

We tried rescinding while we were still in Poipu. The DRI sales on site just gave us the run around for 4 days and even called us liars for making up stories about their dishonest sales staff ....go figure. So I filed the dispute when I couldn't get anywhere on that 4th day. BTW, Sampler cannot be canceled when bought in Hawaii, even with in 2 hours of purchase (when we figured out we were scammed).