• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Diamond buys Club Intrawest

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I assume under this new arrangements. The Exchanges agreement with Hiltons Vacations are void /terminated.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
The deal is final. The Club [FONT=&quot]must stop using the Intrawest name within 180 days[/FONT]. [FONT=&quot]The 9 locations will no longer be named Club Intrawest.[/FONT]

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 29, 2016-- Diamond Resorts International, Inc. (NYSE DRII), announced today that it has completed the previously disclosed acquisition of the vacation ownership business of Intrawest Resort Club Group from Intrawest Resort Holdings, Inc.

http://investors.diamondresorts.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=251836&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2133695

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
The deal is final. The Club [FONT=&quot]must stop using the Intrawest name within 180 days[/FONT]. [FONT=&quot]The 9 locations will no longer be named Club Intrawest.[/FONT]

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 29, 2016-- Diamond Resorts International, Inc. (NYSE DRII), announced today that it has completed the previously disclosed acquisition of the vacation ownership business of Intrawest Resort Club Group from Intrawest Resort Holdings, Inc.

http://investors.diamondresorts.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=251836&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2133695
Where are you getting that time frame from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was an email message sent to CI members on November 1 which included this time period. The message was posted on the CI facebook page. It appears the text has been deleted from the page. I have a personal copy. The relevant text is:

Will the Club Intrawest name change?
Yes, under the terms of the agreement with Intrawest, Diamond Resorts must stop using the Intrawest name within 180 days of the transaction closing. Therefore, at some point within 180 days after the closing of the transaction, the Club and the 9 locations will no longer be named Club Intrawest. The new names and the exact timing of the change are still to be determined.

Update: I found this text. It has been moved to an updated document (item 16):
http://www.clubintrawest.com/edm/members/announcements/dri/Diamond-Transaction-FAQs.pdf

Last edited:

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was an email message sent to CI members on November 1 which included this time period. The message was posted on the CI facebook page. It appears the text has been deleted from the page. I have a personal copy. The relevant text is:

Will the Club Intrawest name change?
Yes, under the terms of the agreement with Intrawest, Diamond Resorts must stop using the Intrawest name within 180 days of the transaction closing. Therefore, at some point within 180 days after the closing of the transaction, the Club and the 9 locations will no longer be named Club Intrawest. The new names and the exact timing of the change are still to be determined.

Update: I found this text. It has been moved to an updated document (item 16):
http://www.clubintrawest.com/edm/members/announcements/dri/Diamond-Transaction-FAQs.pdf
Well so ends the club...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
CI owners and HGVC owners can still do direct exchanges. I know most people on the forums don't check the marketplace often, but we can put links in our signatures to exchange ads in the marketplace. It should work out exactly the same for HGVC owners as far as cost and points go.

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is terrific news for Club members. :clap:

Don't count on the availability. Most of the VI resorts in DRI website never have availability. I tried Waikiki thru DRI, never found one 12 or 13 months in advance. Luckily that I own VI. It is not only easy to find availability thru VI and the MF is much cheaper.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Don't count on the availability. Most of the VI resorts in DRI website never have availability. I tried Waikiki thru DRI, never found one 12 or 13 months in advance. Luckily that I own VI. It is not only easy to find availability thru VI and the MG is much cheaper.

VI inventory, as well as inventory all other affiliate resorts, does not show up in the club until 10 months before check-in. The only inventory that is offered further than 10 months ahead of check-in is club member home resort advantage. Since there is no home resort advantage for VI, it becomes offered to everyone at ten months before check-in.

The bigger issue with VI inventory is that much of what is available through DRI, is for less then seven day blocks. So even within the 10-month or less general inventory, if you are looking for seven day intervals you won't see it.

johnrsrq

TUG Member
Reaction score
CI

I'm not counting on these six resorts addition to show up anytime soon although I guess the acquisition will move it in that direction. Based on other acquisitions in the east, DRI inventory eventually showed up. Fortunately, it's not in my current plans. I'm fairly certain the resale account I have won't have access to them.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm not counting on these six resorts addition to show up anytime soon although I guess the acquisition will move it in that direction. Based on other acquisitions in the east, DRI inventory eventually showed up. Fortunately, it's not in my current plans. I'm fairly certain the resale account I have won't have access to them.
The Club's ability can reserve and make available to owners only inventory that has been made available to it via owners joining the Club. So at first there will be limited inventory, but as Intrawest owners join the Club, more of that Intrawest inventory will show up in the Club.

I would also expect that, at least initially, DRI may offer some amount of its unsold inventory to the Club as well.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just learned this very sad news for Club Intrawest and its members.

Since Year 2000, I have questioned the longevity of one "independent board member" who, to the best of my knowledge, has served continuous terms as a Board Member of Club Intrawest - - CONTINUOUS TERMS - - I'm thinking for close to 20 years.

I'm not the least bit surprised that (in my personal opinion) the "best interests" of the members of Club Intrawest have not been served.

I can not believe that Club Intrawest did not align themselves with companies of the stature of Marriott or Hyatt, but instead, went the Diamond Resorts route.

As has been said above, I feel like the transfer of ownership of Club Intrawest is akin to Chanel going the way of WalMart (hypothetical). What a major disappointment, but one that I am not entirely surprised by, given the years of limited, independent member engagement in the activities and actions of the Club Intrawest Board of Directors. Also, as has been said above, this should be a lesson in how little control timeshare owners may have in timesharing arrangements like Club Intrawest.

Last edited:

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can not believe that Club Intrawest did not align themselves with companies of the stature of Marriott or Hyatt, but instead, went the Diamond Resorts route.
May be Marriott and ILG (Hyatt parent company) didn't bet to acquire CI or didn't bet high enough.

DanZale2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
A Club Intrawest Board document says: Intrawest Holdings Inc. provided the Board a description of "an auction process conducted for IRCG by Deutsche Bank, resulting in two final bidders. IRCG believed Diamond to be the superior bid based on price and IRCG’s confidence in Diamond’s ability to complete the transaction and accomplish a smooth transition, given Diamond’s capabilities, experience, and plans to retain the majority of IRCG employees who manage the Club."

Personally, I don't think Marriott or ILG were the second bidder.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel that their will be very little inventory for Diamond Club members to exchange into Club Intrawest and I also feel that Club Intrawest members will not lose any exchange capability using I.I. or RCI.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel that their will be very little inventory for Diamond Club members to exchange into Club Intrawest and I also feel that Club Intrawest members will not lose any exchange capability using I.I. or RCI.

If those issues are important to you, that's great, but they are of little importance to me. Personally, I could care less about Diamond Club members......they are no where near my radar screen. But what is on my radar screen is the credibility, integrity, and professional stature of the management company and developer of whatever Club Intarwest will be called in the future. In that regard, I believe that our (members) best interests were not protected by the leaders of Intrawest who sold Club Intrawest to Diamond Resorts.

With regard to what was once known as Club Intrawest, I feel like I've woken up in a bed with a horse's head in it, and a pig with lipstick.

visor

Reaction score
From Club Intrawest website, will no longer be able to book into Hilton Grand Vacations as of May 16. This is the beginning of the decline of Intrawest or whatever it will be called...

"Hilton Grand Vacations Club Update

This is to advise that Hilton Grand Vacations Club (HGVC) has chosen to discontinue the affiliation agreement with ExtraOrdinary Escapes with the last reservation for 2016 arrivals being allowed on May 15, 2016. Only Members of ExtraOrdinary Escapes current as of February 16, 2016 will still be able to book reservations into the HGVC locations until May 15, 2016. Eligible Members can make new HGVC reservations by calling into Member Services at 1-800-767-2166. In addition, effective immediately, the ability to convert Club Intrawest Resort Points to Hilton HHonors points has also been discontinued. All the other benefits of ExtraOrdinary Escapes remain unchanged.

As with all components of ExtraOrdinary Escapes, the HGVC offering was subject to change, but we are currently reviewing the ExtraOrdinary Escapes offering, and are looking forward to be able to provide even more benefits and service options very soon."

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
From Club Intrawest website, will no longer be able to book into Hilton Grand Vacations as of May 16. This is the beginning of the decline of Intrawest or whatever it will be called...

"Hilton Grand Vacations Club Update

This is to advise that Hilton Grand Vacations Club (HGVC) has chosen to discontinue the affiliation agreement with ExtraOrdinary Escapes with the last reservation for 2016 arrivals being allowed on May 15, 2016. Only Members of ExtraOrdinary Escapes current as of February 16, 2016 will still be able to book reservations into the HGVC locations until May 15, 2016. Eligible Members can make new HGVC reservations by calling into Member Services at 1-800-767-2166. In addition, effective immediately, the ability to convert Club Intrawest Resort Points to Hilton HHonors points has also been discontinued. All the other benefits of ExtraOrdinary Escapes remain unchanged.

As with all components of ExtraOrdinary Escapes, the HGVC offering was subject to change, but we are currently reviewing the ExtraOrdinary Escapes offering, and are looking forward to be able to provide even more benefits and service options very soon."

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I posted this some time ago. But I also noted that it makes absolutely no difference to me or those other CI members who don't even belong to Extraordinary Escapes in the first place. We like to stay at CI locations and never trade it.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
........We like to stay at CI locations and never trade it.

The (new) problem with that is that Diamond Resorts is left to now manage the club locations and the club infrastructure (e.g. Member Services, Reservations, Inventory Control, Club Governance, etc.).

In my opinion, the sale of Club Intrawest was a complete bag job, made to look like the interests of the members were taken into consideration. Hah!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, the sale of Club Intrawest was a complete bag job, made to look like the interests of the members were taken into consideration. Hah!

In that case, the transition to DRI should have no lurking surprises for you.