• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

desktop computer system question

anne1125

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a cheap desktop computer with monitor and printer for my daughter for Christmas. She would only use it to shop, check out II for trades and printing out flight tickets.

I tried to look at buy.com and some other sites but can't seem to narrow in what I'm looking for. I am sooooo not a computer person.

Thanks for any direction you can offer.

Anne

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest decision is if you want to go with Vista or XP. You'd have to do some work to find an XP systems, as 99% of new systems are all Vista now.

My sister had an old emachine system whose motherboard died a few months ago. I ended up buying a replacement one on ebay (about $55), specifically so she could stay with XP. She's not that computer literate, and I didn't want to subject her to the differences of Vista.

Jeff

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would just purchase the cheapest I could find at Best Buy, Circuit City, Costco, etc. Don't let them sell you any extras, software, extended warranties, etc.

I did this last December with a laptop and printer. Paid about $450 for an Acer 4720Z and a HP Deskjet 4135 Printer for about $45. I'm sure you can do much better buying a desktop. Vista was a bummer from the get go, but it seems much less so now. I'm guessing that some of those patches sent out by Microsoft have helped, or maybe I'm just getting used to it.

They tried to sell me everything from a special setup, to software, to extended warranty. They pushed hard for me to buy Microsoft Office (for Word Processing) and Anti-Virus software. I bought neither. Rather added "Free" AVG 8.0 (anti virus) and recently added Sun Microsystems "Free" Open Office 3.0 to get the word processing.

I only use my laptop for email, internet, travel arrangements, poker tournaments, betting on horses, etc. I know next to nothing about computers but it all seems to work ok for me.

My bottom line is that based on your needs spend as little as you can.

George

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I would agree -- go with an inexpensive system. The only thing I would insist on is 2GB memory -- if you skimp on memory, it can cause all types of performance issues. As for XP vs. Vista: I would go with Vista at this point. It has been out for almost 2 years now and is quite stable (especially w/ 2GB of memory). If you are planning on keeping the system for quite a while, be warned that Microsoft is agressively trying to limit the support life for XP, which may impact the availability of future security patches, etc.

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I would look for systems recommended by www.cnet.com and read a few reviews.
Then I'd comparison shop at online sources like...
www.newegg.com
www.ecost.com
www.amazon.com

However, I bought two Dell systems from www.dell.com as they were competitive and they offered no payments/no interest for 90 days thru "Bill Me Later."

Last edited:

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
...If you are planning on keeping the system for quite a while, be warned that Microsoft is agressively trying to limit the support life for XP, which may impact the availability of future security patches, etc.

Kurt

I haven't heard anything about that. From what I've seen, Microsoft has been unable to kill off XP. Earlier this year, they extended how long manufacturers such as Dell could continue to sell XP systems, a pretty clear indication that there was a still a big demand for non-Vista systems. I work for a Fortune 200 company, and I've heard absolutely no talk up any upgrade to Vista (we've gotten plenty of new computers in the past year or so, all XP).

From prelease information I've read, the next Windows OS, I think currently lableled Windows 10, is supposed to back off some of the major changes that when into Vista. I don't know if their plan is to create a more acceptable OS, and hope that corporate customers will skip Vista and upgrade to this new OS.

Lastly, in terms of patch support, even Windows 2000 is still actively receiving patches. And XP just had Service Pack 3 released for it this Summer. If you can get over the difficulty of finding an XP or W2K system (compared to just walking into a store any buying a Vista system), I think patch-wise you'll be okay for quite some time.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Windows XP will be fully supported until at least 2014.

-David

anne1125

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I bought a package deal with Circuit City, computer, monitor, and printer for $399.

They also have free shipping.

Thanks for the help.

Anne