• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

    Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

    Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

    Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

    Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

    Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free!

    60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

    All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Default of MF question

JackieD

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
454
Reaction score
16
Points
379
Location
Florida
I am thinking of letting one of my S.Africa properties go into default of MF's. I've thought of listing it with Cape Escapes but don't really want the hassle and my $520+ mf are due now. Plus it's a white week at a gold crown so it probably would take a while to sell. I should've listed it before I had to pay $500 for a special assessments a couple of months ago....Has anyone just let one go and if so, what were the ramifications from the resort???
 

Carolinian

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
10,721
Reaction score
1,005
Points
648
Location
eastern Europe
Why not list it on bidshares or ebay for $1 and no reserve?
 

michelle

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
265
Reaction score
0
Points
376
Location
Springfield, VA
I realize that you are not asking if we agree with this kind of action or not, but for what its worth, I would like to say that I do not agree with this kind of action. It leads to the rest of the owners, of which I might be one, to have to pick up your tab. Not good. :mad:

Or are you thinking of simply giving it back to the resort? If this is the case, you would have to speak to them to see what your options are.
 

Malane

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2006
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Location
Seattle
I know that at Dikhololo and Mt Amanzi they are quick to foreclose on unpaid fees. However, you might consider depositing the weeks into a Points account. You can get more than 30K points if it is a 2 bed or bigger -even with a white week.
 

cali girl

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
130
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Sacramento
What resort is this? Levies of 520. are awfully high. I would contact the resort and see if they would take it back.
 

JackieD

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
454
Reaction score
16
Points
379
Location
Florida
Thank you for all the replies. I will look into each option. Carolinian, you mentioned Redweek on another board. How much did they charge and how did you handle the paperwork?

When I purchased this TS 3 yrs ago, the levies were 2200R ($209US at that time). It IS a 3 BR GC but a white week. In the last year I've paid special assessments twice for a total of $590 and now their 2006 mf are 3103R which is US $517.82. Not a huge amount I guess to some but pretty steep in my book.

I have never defaulted on any payment EVER so this has not been an easy question to ask. Things are just tight right now since both of my DH's parents passed away in last 2 months so we have been helping their surviving spouses etc......

Again, thanks for the responses.
Jackie
 

Karen G

Moderator
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
9,470
Reaction score
1,984
Points
749
Location
Henderson, NV
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
It would be better to sell it on ebay for whatever it will bring than to just default on the MF. Or even give it away. I'll bet someone would love to have it for the points for deposit it would bring as a 3-bedroom.
 

Carolinian

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
10,721
Reaction score
1,005
Points
648
Location
eastern Europe
At the time, I believe the listing fee on Redweek was $10, but it has recently gone up quite a bit.

I had the resort send me copies of the necessary paperwork, filled it all out myself, send it to the buyer, and then forwarded it on the resort after the buyer had signed and returned it. It went through without a hitch.



JackieD said:
Thank you for all the replies. I will look into each option. Carolinian, you mentioned Redweek on another board. How much did they charge and how did you handle the paperwork?

When I purchased this TS 3 yrs ago, the levies were 2200R ($209US at that time). It IS a 3 BR GC but a white week. In the last year I've paid special assessments twice for a total of $590 and now their 2006 mf are 3103R which is US $517.82. Not a huge amount I guess to some but pretty steep in my book.

I have never defaulted on any payment EVER so this has not been an easy question to ask. Things are just tight right now since both of my DH's parents passed away in last 2 months so we have been helping their surviving spouses etc......

Again, thanks for the responses.
Jackie
 

Jwerking

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
910
Reaction score
59
Points
388
Location
Virginia Beach VA
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
Malane said:
I know that at Dikhololo and Mt Amanzi they are quick to foreclose on unpaid fees. However, you might consider depositing the weeks into a Points account. You can get more than 30K points if it is a 2 bed or bigger -even with a white week.

Can the SA weeks (Dikhololo) somehow be set up as points in RCI if I am only an RCI weeks owner? If so, how do I go about this??

Joyce
 

Karen G

Moderator
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
9,470
Reaction score
1,984
Points
749
Location
Henderson, NV
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Jwerking said:
Can the SA weeks (Dikhololo) somehow be set up as points in RCI if I am only an RCI weeks owner? If so, how do I go about this??
No, you have to have a points account in order to do a Points-for-Deposit transaction. You could buy a low cost points resort, set up an account, and then you'd be able to deposit non-points resorts into it.
 

Jwerking

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
910
Reaction score
59
Points
388
Location
Virginia Beach VA
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
Karen G said:
No, you have to have a points account in order to do a Points-for-Deposit transaction. You could buy a low cost points resort, set up an account, and then you'd be able to deposit non-points resorts into it.

Can someone recommend a low cost points resort? I am NOW really interested in this angle?

Joyce
 

Karen G

Moderator
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
Messages
9,470
Reaction score
1,984
Points
749
Location
Henderson, NV
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I bought at Rayburn Country in Texas. Since then RCI has started to charge a fee to deposit non-points resorts into the Points for Deposit and I've heard it was around $29. I think some people have bought Australian points resorts, but I don't know the details. You might want to do some searching on the points bbs for more info.
 
Top