• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Deeded Week 18 But Floating - Can someone help?

teshiachris

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own, on the deed, week 18 at the villas at the Boardwalk in Virginia Beach, however I am listed as week 18 floating. My question is what weeks am I entitled to try and get? Thanks for any help.
Chris

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
At most resorts, with a floating week, there is a week on the deed that is only for recording purposes. You need to contact the resort and find out what your season is. In other words, can you make a reservation any time during the whole year, or only for a specific date range.

Where did you get this timeshare?

teshiachris

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At most resorts, with a floating week, there is a week on the deed that is only for recording purposes. You need to contact the resort and find out what your season is. In other words, can you make a reservation any time during the whole year, or only for a specific date range.

Where did you get this timeshare?

Gold Key Resorts in Virginia Beach.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Let me rephrase - HOW did you acquire this timeshare?

teshiachris

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me rephrase - HOW did you acquire this timeshare?

Bought it from Gold Key resorts. Here is the email they sent me regarding my question. Does this make sense?

Thank you for your email. Your week 18 is known as a fixed week/float unit. Meaning that if you come to Virginia Beach on your deeded week without the services of Interval International your week will always be during that week 18 timeframe. When you do stay with us on your deeded week 18 you will always receive your owned unit type but you won’t necessarily stay in the deeded unit you own. For example you own unit 302. You might be placed in unit 302, 506, or any unit within the resort that shares your 1 bedroom floor plan.

If and when you decide to deposit your unit with Interval International at that point is when your week becomes a “Float Week”. Intervals services allow you to move your week around at your request to another time and or location. I hope this answers your questions. Should you have any more concerns please feel free to respond to this email.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems pretty clear to me. If you want week 18, just show up. You may not get the same unit year after year. If you want a different week, deposit it (week 18) into II and either book a different desired week at that or another resort through II. However, if you do the II thing, exchange fees would result.

Incidentally week 18 in 2012 is May 4(Fri), May 5 (Sat), or April 29 with Sunday check-in. Check your paperwork to see what day is your check-in day.

Jim

Last edited:

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
think I know the answer to this question, but when did you buy the timeshare and was it within the last 7 calendar days? If you bought from the developer and are still within the cancellation period you should seriously consider canceling the purchase as you likely paid WAY more than you could through the re-sale market.

If you are outside the period, stick around here and learn to make the best of your timeshare as they can be a great way to vacation.

Purchaser's rights of cancellation

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The way I read the response is that if you deposit in Interval they can assign any week they want to. Week 18 is not a bad week and has a 110 on II's travel index in Virginia beach. This fixed/float seems to be a way they have a deeded right to deposit any week including one with a 50 on the index if they want to. I wonder if they would try to "float" your week if you deposit with an independent exchange company?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The way I read the response is that if you deposit in Interval they can assign any week they want to. Week 18 is not a bad week and has a 110 on II's travel index in Virginia beach. This fixed/float seems to be a way they have a deeded right to deposit any week including one with a 50 on the index if they want to. I wonder if they would try to "float" your week if you deposit with an independent exchange company?

This is kind of muddying the water, but if the OP were going to use an independent exchange co. wouldn't they first reserve as desirable a week possible from their resort, THEN deposit it to the independent outfit. That's the way I deposit my RCI floating resort into Trading Places for example. I wouldn't simply ask TPI to take whatever junky mud-season week RCI wanted to give them for an exchange. Back to your premise: wouldn't getting II involved also increase the OP's costs? I don't know.

All I was trying to do was to interpret my understanding of what the email from the OP's resort said in a clearer way. If I was mistaken, I apologize. I didn't think any mention was made of independent exchanges at all.

Jim

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The OP can't reserve a desirable week. It's fixed at the resort. When the exchange company goes to verify the week 18 the resort can refuse to verify it and give a different week. I think it is more likely to get through as the deeded week with an independent exchange company but the fact that it is part of the deed gives the resort more control of the week.

Using II or any exchange company will add additional expenses. This fixed/float setup allows the developer to have its cake and eat it too. Even Starwood which also sells fixed/float weeks may make it difficult to float a week but allows it based on availability without charging additional fees to do so.

aandmrun

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own deeded weeks at resorts. All you need to do is call the resort directly each year and let them know that you intend to use your week and they will confirm the reservation. This requires no extra fees since it is the week that you own. Week 18 is a great Spring week.