• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Deed help needed

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I need to change my deed and remove my ex husbands name. Is this something I can do independently or do I need to pay an expert.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Changing a deed involves recording the change with the county recorder where the resort is located. I would start by calling the timeshare, or system that controls the property. Get the exact description of the property, week, unit number, county it is recorded in, etc. You should also ask what , if any the resort charges for the change. Now, that you have that, call the county registor and find out what they will need, money, and a self addressed envelope to mail the changed registration back to you.
A copy of the registration needs to be sent to the resort.
I used a copy of a quick claim deed form that I found at my local library. Both of you are the grantors, while just YOU are the grantee. The most important thing is to get the description right. AND the quick claim deed needs to be done in front of a notary.

The hardest part is getting the two of you together to get it done. The whole process takes about 4 to 6 weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is who I use for title transfers - they are Tuggers, and they are reputable, fast and reasonable - usually about $150.

I would not do a deed transfer myself, because I'd rather pay $150 and make sure it's done right:

L.T. Transfers
Lisa Short and Mary Pless
http://www.lttransfers.com/
readylegal@gmail.com

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is bad advice:
I would start by calling the timeshare, or system that controls the property. Get the exact description of the property, week, unit number, county it is recorded in, etc.

You need to get the description from the original deed - getting it from a clerk at the resort is likely to result in costly errors.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is who I use for title transfers - they are Tuggers, and they are reputable, fast and reasonable - usually about $150.

I would not do a deed transfer myself, because I'd rather pay $150 and make sure it's done right:

L.T. Transfers
Lisa Short and Mary Pless
http://www.lttransfers.com/
readylegal@gmail.com
It's not brain surgery. I'm sure anyone can do it. The only reason I would ever pay someone $150 for something this simple would be huh, cannot think one.
All parties are known. Even then, I sold one without even knowing were the person was located.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I disagree - for someone who has not done it before, and isn't familiar with the process, it would be time consuming and could result in errors.

I prefer to spend $150, and let an expert do it.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Deed change

Thank you both for your input.

I believe I have a copy of the deed. Marriott week we bought resale. Ex lives a mile away so although not enjoyable I could get his signature. I have put this off for 5 years already. It is just annoying going on a trip and reservations are in his name.

I have already contacted Marriott they have sent me the steps and cost with them $25.00 but deed change has to come first.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Is your ex wanting to use the timeshare? If you have waited 5 years and it's just because his name is on it, why now are you taking him off? Do you want to put someone else on the deed with you? Just seems like a lot of work for nothing.
Silentg

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Is your ex wanting to use the timeshare? If you have waited 5 years and it's just because his name is on it, why now are you taking him off? Do you want to put someone else on the deed with you? Just seems like a lot of work for nothing.
Silentg

If married, it should have been dealt with as part of the divorce. It seems strange that it was not.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you have your current deed. Make a copy, then white out the signatures and names. Do the same with the grantor and grantee. Put your and your ex's names in the grantor section and only your name in the grantee as a single woman (if you are). Sign and send.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If married, it should have been dealt with as part of the divorce. It seems strange that it was not.

Not necessarily.
My ex and I owned a sailboat together. We could'a dealt with it in the divorce.
But we hung unto it for a while, and simply split the proceeds some time later.

But best done sooner than later, as you could end up with a co-owner who you don't know.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Ex gave me the timeshare in the divorce. It is part of the settlement papers. I let him use a week last year and now not only is his name listed first on every reservation but Interval changed my address to his.

It is just an irritating situation especially since from the day we bought the timeshare I requested my name be placed first on the deed. Then the deed came and they didn't follow our request.

It is also uncomfortable at check in when they ask my significant other if he is Mr. Turkel.

Can I really just change the deed and send it in???

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Ex gave me the timeshare in the divorce. It is part of the settlement papers. I let him use a week last year and now not only is his name listed first on every reservation but Interval changed my address to his.

It is just an irritating situation especially since from the day we bought the timeshare I requested my name be placed first on the deed. Then the deed came and they didn't follow our request.

It is also uncomfortable at check in when they ask my significant other if he is Mr. Turkel.

You can, he still needs to sign it though. Even given my advice, I think it is always best to use a professional. With something like this you wouldn't want him to come back and make a claim to it. Best to do it right. Also ask that they don't use a quit claim deed.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score

Is it a deed or a certificate of registration?

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, but that doesn't mean it's a deed. A physical piece of paper that called a deed. My house is paid off but I have no deed. I have a piece of paper saying that it is registered to my wife and I. And I had a week at fox run and never received a deed. IIT is registered at the county it is in.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

It could have been dealt with as part of the divorce but it was not. Probably for the same reason as now -- OP didn't want to spend the money to have a deed prepared.

Hopefully, ex-Husband hasn't signed a deed to someone else or had a judgment or tax lien recorded against him in Riverside County in the interim. Assuming none of these have happened, OP needs to either pay someone $150 as Denise suggests or try dioxide's DIY approach; both will work.

At which point she can try to get Interval to change her account into her sole name or open a new Interval account (because the new deed will not match the names on the existing Interval account).

geekette

Reaction score

Not strange. I have so far left x on my ownerships, partly because a bit of a pain to deal with, but also so he could use it easily on the few times I have had use it or lose it but not able to use.

Further, at divorce time there were plenty of other pressing issues to deal with. Maybe you would have put timeshare ownership high up on the list, but I didn't. I was more concerned about the real assets and re-titling of those.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Not strange. I have so far left x on my ownerships, partly because a bit of a pain to deal with, but also so he could use it easily on the few times I have had use it or lose it but not able to use.

Further, at divorce time there were plenty of other pressing issues to deal with. Maybe you would have put timeshare ownership high up on the list, but I didn't. I was more concerned about the real assets and re-titling of those.

I guess I just put it on the list of "real assets", since they are. Apparently it's not uncommon to not deal with this at the time of the divorce though.

geekette

Reaction score
I guess I just put it on the list of "real assets", since they are. Apparently it's not uncommon to not deal with this at the time of the divorce though.

Yes, I should probably rephrase as indeed ts is "real asset". How about "asset with actual value"?? I didn't want to spend the money, wasn't worth bothering over. To me it was more important to attend to home, cars and investment accounts. The stuff we might need a court order to solve if one of us ... whatever.

My split was amicable so not a big concern to remain joint owners, and in fact convenient as I don't want to search for his next vacation, but he's free to do so and I'll just change the account password again when he's done. One can own property with anyone, at divorce you don't have to split everything up if you don't want to.

It helps to have a boyfriend that doesn't mind the occasional Mr Geekette reference at check in but it is annoying that all ressies default to name of x, and there is the assumption that I am married. Not anyone's business, I and boyfriend don't bother dispelling assumptions.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

Just to make sure we're clear on this:
You cannot simply mark up your original deed and send that in.
You need to prepare a new deed that looks like it
... but with new names+dates.

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand what you are trying to say.

I live in Ohio and deal with real estate a lot. Much of what I write below is related to that (I am not an attorney).

MANY people who own property can't find their original deed. That doesn't mean they don't have a deed to their property. Think of what would happen if the sellers couldn't produce an original deed in order to transfer property. Things would come to a grinding halt. So .... just because you don't have the physical, original deed, doesn't mean there's not a deed to see.

Most deeds are recorded with a government entity (the county in many cases where the property is). You can get a copy of the deed - as can anyone else (like title companies who handle property transfers). In nearly all cases you can get a 'certified copy' of the deed that will stand in for an original one if you truly need one. Things like fire happen. Stolen happens. Lost happens even more (things getting thrown out because of age ('who needs this anymore?')). Original deeds can get misdirected. Maybe someone never sent it to you (after recording) or it got lost in the mail. Doesn't mean that you don't own it.

If that was the case (only owning something if you had the original deed in your possession), anyone who wanted to be rid of a timeshare just had to lose/destroy the physical deed and say, 'nope, don't have the deed to it anymore.' Then who owns it?

So, if your house is paid off and you don't have a deed (i.e. some sort of 'proof' that you own it - like it being recorded in a public record) then --- yikes! Someone probably owns it (I hope it's you if you think you do).

Perhaps when you are saying 'registered' you are talking about the deed being recorded.

Yes - you can have a deed that is NOT recorded. If it's not recorded, good luck with that (i.e. don't 'not' record deeds). Nearly all mortgages are recorded also - mostly by the holder of the mortgage. Same reasons.

Yes, but that doesn't mean it's a deed. A physical piece of paper that called a deed. My house is paid off but I have no deed. I have a piece of paper saying that it is registered to my wife and I. And I had a week at fox run and never received a deed. IIT is registered at the county it is in.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was referring to original poster. Since everyone knew everyone, a quick claim sale. You register the transfer of property. Once she is settled in, she can deal with the deed.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Timeshare was essentially worthless at the time of the divorce. Although we had paid 7k resale, at the time of divorce e bay was selling the week for less than a years maintenance fees. I wanted the timeshare ex didn't want to pay the annual fees. It has not been a financial issue between us since.

The only issue today is the annoyance factor of having ressies in ex's name and interval changing from my address to his.

I will gladly pay $150 to avoid any further frustration and to have it done right.

Thank you all for your input :banana: