• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Declaring timeshare rental income to IRS

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
First, per my note above, IRS considers all rental activity to be passive. So the distinction is probably moot for this purpose.

But let's change the situation a bit. Say you are a reasonably good mechanic, and you occasionally work on cars of friends and relatives, collecting payment.

Now you start to get into the IRS rules defining whether something is truly a business or a hobby. If you want to do things such as take depreciation for tools or write off expenses to determine net income, you need to pass the tests to qualify as a true business. If you don't pass the tests as a business, then you have to pay taxes on any income earned, but generally cannot claim any losses.

There may be some issues involving passive vs active income/loss, but those are deeper than I have gone into the tax code. I only got in far enough to be sure that my consulting practice qualifies as a business.

This helps. I was only considering the "material participation" question. In my timeshare rental business, there is no question about whether I materially participated.

Since passive losses can only offset passive income, the distinction between passive and active income/loss becomes irrelevant unless there is a net loss, which I never had.

Does this sound about right?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I have never reported the occasional rental (one or two weeks of a 1BR side of a 2 BR layout) because I rent them at cost. If a 2BR MF is $2000 and I rent it for $1,200, I consider it to be at cost and there is no gain on the rental. If I get audited, my argument would be that it's zero net income and hence I did not bother to report it. Is this a fair assessement?

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I have never reported the occasional rental (one or two weeks of a 1BR side of a 2 BR layout) because I rent them at cost. If a 2BR MF is $2000 and I rent it for $1,200, I consider it to be at cost and there is no gain on the rental. If I get audited, my argument would be that it's zero net income and hence I did not bother to report it. Is this a fair assessement?
Not really

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

I agree with this, if I can show that I am just recovering my cost there is no profit - no reason to involve the IRS.

The likelihood the IRS would audit is infinitesimal, a computer audit (cp2000) would not pickup cash transactions, and the agents aren't looking at small potatoes.

If you are using an advertising third party like Redweek or Koala then a 1099 Misc or 1099-K could get filed, then the CP2000 computer audits would pick up the income and you would get a letter by mail audit. CP2000 audits calculate the corrected tax return and send a bill, if you agree just sign and send a check. If you disagree you have to file amended return. For something like this they may request a Sched C.

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with this, if I can show that I am just recovering my cost there is no profit - no reason to involve the IRS.

The likelihood the IRS would audit is infinitesimal, a computer audit (cp2000) would not pickup cash transactions, and the agents aren't looking at small potatoes.

If you are using an advertising third party like Redweek or Koala then a 1099 Misc or 1099-K could get filed, then the CP2000 computer audits would pick up the income and you would get a letter by mail audit. CP2000 audits calculate the corrected tax return and send a bill, if you agree just sign and send a check. If you disagree you have to file amended return. For something like this they may request a Sched C.
If you are going to file any tax return, report all income and then deduct all expenses even if your net profit from that is zero. That is the philosophy I go with. The more complicated question will be how to classify the rental of weeks or points. That is what earlier post were trying to clarify.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
If you are going to file any tax return, report all income and then deduct all expenses even if your net profit from that is zero. That is the philosophy I go with. The more complicated question will be how to classify the rental of weeks or points. That is what earlier post were trying to clarify.

Even there, we have to distinguish points that are deeded (e.g., Wyndham Select) and points that are in a trust (Wyndham Club Access). I still think Schedule C works best for timeshare rentals.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think the only time it would be an issue is if you got a 1099 for the rental proceeds. Otherwise the IRS doesn't know and is probably going after larger fish in the pond.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister had a cpa do her taxes. A cd came through as a wash. I don’t know why it wasn’t reported as such but irs hounded her for capital gains on that cd for months, wanted 40k capital gains. It was eventually straitened out

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

About five years ago, we were audited by the IRS. In great detail. Among other items, they wanted to know the source of every deposit we made to any financial account we had, including apps such as PayPal. They also scrutinized all of our expenditures, looking for payments to service providers that might fly under the tax radar. If we had made any large cash withdrawals, they would have scrutinized those, looking for under-the-table payments to contractors and service providers.

avk104

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now you start to get into the IRS rules defining whether something is truly a business or a hobby. If you want to do things such as take depreciation for tools or write off expenses to determine net income, you need to pass the tests to qualify as a true business. If you don't pass the tests as a business, then you have to pay taxes on any income earned, but generally cannot claim any losses.

A bit late to the party, but I found this regarding renting points: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/timeshare-points-rental-income/00/2893494