• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cruising

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
Because my husband has been deployed last 21/2 years we have hardly used our Mac and dcpoints. Has none ever used them for a high end cruise? Celebrity, royal carribean or higher? Are the price per points you see for one or for a couple?
Thanks

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Per person excluding taxes & fees.
Cruise prices are in Vacation Club Points, based on double occupancy per stateroom. Government taxes, fees and port expenses are additional, and cannot be paid in Vacation Club Points. Vacation Club Point values are subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Generally, TS points are only usable as a discount from retail prices of cruises, and are not good value when compared to the amount of $$$ that those points cost in MF. Best to use TS points for TS stays, and book cruises through a consolidator like www.vacationstogo.com or www'crucon.com There are many others, but those are a couple we've used with good results.

In other words, it isn't a straight-up exchange.

Thanks to you and your husband for your service.

Jim

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Generally, TS points are only usable as a discount from retail prices of cruises, and are not good value when compared to the amount of $$$ that those points cost in MF. Best to use TS points for TS stays, and book cruises through a consolidator like www.vacationstogo.com or www'crucon.com There are many others, but those are a couple we've used with good results.

In other words, it isn't a straight-up exchange.

Thanks to you and your husband for your service.

Jim
When I've looked at cruise it usually comes out right around 34¢ pp, for Collete tours more in the 43¢ pp range but I get hints that MVC gets a discount on the Collete tours so they're likely paying roughly the same. It's the value of what I would pay that's important to me. I personally wouldn't use for cruises at this rate but if I have the points the tours are at least within the range I'm paying in fees so I might consider it.

Katfan

Reaction score
Cruise points listed are per stateroom assuming double occupancy. Taxes and fees are paid separately. In 2017 we used vacation club points in a holding account for a Christmas cruise. We had around 4850 points and the cruise was 5000 for a balcony stateroom on Holland America. We had to borrow the extra points needed from 2018 because we could not pay cash for the difference. We knew it was not the best use of points but it was use them or lose them. BTW a year or so later we got a refund for part of the port charges because of a lawsuit against Marriott.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
Every time I've ever looked at cruising, the cost via DC points compared to cash is not good at all, from the DC points side. I'd rent the points and use the money towards a cruise.
As for the agent you book it through, it doesn't really matter anymore, as the cruise price is going to be the same. Its the perks that will change from one to the other. We used Crucon once in the past, and they gave us a few decent perks. But, our last 2 cruises have been through Costco Travel. Nobody can touch their perks. We literally just returned from a 7-night Disney cruise, booked through Costco Travel. For our perks, we didn't get anything on the ship. We will be receiving a $755 Costco Cash card in the mail within the next week or so. That is our perk. Note that is for 2 cabins. They break down to $425 for one and $330 for the other. Good luck!

Katfan

Reaction score
I would totally agree with your assessment. My SIL and her husband came on the Christmas cruise with us and they booked through Costco. The/y got an amazing deal on balcony suite with a 600 cruise credit. But they had no vacation club points that they would lose. Again I would say given the choice of use it or lose it we made the best decision. If it were not for the medical reasons to cancel within the 60 day limit we would never have been in the holding account situation. We made the best of a trying situation.

Wally3433

Reaction score
Don't book a cruise with points. Rip off. The Marriott and Interval cruise offerings on for cruise vacations is a scam, borderline fraud in my mind.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you looked into cruising with RC and Celebrity asking for veteran discounts?
Are you a member of either RC or Celebrity loyalty programs . Please join their programs and ask for discounts especially with RC.

Celebrity right now have some outstanding perks and cruise deals on their website.

Suggestion only compare your cruising costs; what will it be Per Person, using DC travel points costs with the following travel components. Find an online cruise travel agency (you can use Google to search for this information), you can contact
AAA Travel & Costco Travel and one more of your local travel agency to compare prices Per Person. Shop around

Last edited:

chunkygal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
Have you looked into cruising with RC and Celebrity asking for veteran discounts?
Are you a member of either RC or Celebrity loyalty programs . Please join their programs and ask for discounts especially with RC.

Celebrity right now have some outstanding perks and cruise deals on their website.

Suggestion only compare your cruising costs; what will it be Per Person, using DC travel points costs with the following travel components. Find an online cruise travel agency (you can use Google to search for this information), you can contact
AAA Travel & Costco Travel and one more of your local travel agency to compare prices Per Person. Shop around
We have 20 DC and celebrity cruises, love the brand, just have so many points to burn and have given so many away friends are avoiding calls..just joking
He'll be home in may hopefully for good, why do they want a 62 year old?
Hopefully not again.
Again, thanks

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestions, call a local travel agent and compare prices.
You must compare the same cruise lines, ship, cabin and cruise.
Good luck.