• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cruising TUGgers--It's that time again! [merge]

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey EZ-ED ... and Buddy, how was your Mexican Riviera cruise? For me Machu Picchu, although fascinating, seems like ancient history now.

Hi mas,
Well except for the cruise our travels kind of match yours, Orlando, Sarasota and Fort Lauderdale for almost 4 weeks in Jan and then Phoenix, Gilbert for 2 weeks before heading home to repack for the cruise. Cruise was ok and the weather was warm (which is what we were looking for). We have been to all the ports many times so only got off the ship once in Manzanillo. Ship was so so as it was headed for drydock after the cruise so many things were out of service and waiting for repair and demo teams were on board and initially working behind the scenes till the last couple of days then in public removing lights, railings, and moving items to storage areas. Crew we interacted with were always smiling and helpful so no problem there but we prefer RCCL or NCL to Princess. We are now busy planning our next travels to the Oregon Coast, back to Phoenix and Carribean Cruise next Jan. Maybe our paths will cross in Florida next year.
Great Travels to you and yours.

Last edited:

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
Adding another cruise with land tour - Princess Caribbean going to Alaska - August 7 - come on along:banana:

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
Make that Coral Princess.
-----------------------------
Adding another cruise with land tour - Princess Caribbean going to Alaska - August 7 - come on along:banana:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be doing a multi stop Japan, Korea, Taiwan finalling in Hong Kong in November on Celebrity.

taffy19

Reaction score
The TUG Alaska cruise was in 2006 on the NCL Star.
Another TUG cruise in 2008 was to the Mexican Riviera on the Princess Dawn out of San Diego.
Sadly for me I have missed the others.
I still have an official TUG cruise photo from the Alaska Cruise in 2006. I recognize many faces but let them identify themselves.

It was a nice cruise but weather was very disappointing.

riv1964

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thought this might be a good place to ask about cruising. I just retired and Hubble and I were thinking about taking an Hawaiian cruise. I see there is one leaving from Oahu , I believe it was for 7 days. Well, we’ve never been on a cruise and don’t even know where to begin. So, any suggestions, tips and/ or advice for a newbie?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I still have an official TUG cruise photo from the Alaska Cruise in 2006. I recognize many faces but let them identify themselves.

It was a nice cruise but weather was very disappointing.

I have not seen that photo in a while. Thanks for sharing.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thought this might be a good place to ask about cruising. I just retired and Hubble and I were thinking about taking an Hawaiian cruise. I see there is one leaving from Oahu , I believe it was for 7 days. Well, we’ve never been on a cruise and don’t even know where to begin. So, any suggestions, tips and/ or advice for a newbie?
The better place for all things cruising is www.cruisecritic.com/ It REALLY is the TUG of cruises. But for a quick starter. 7 nights is enough to give you a taste. Don't try to use timeshare points for cruises- it's a bad value for your MF. The best buys are at consolidators like www.vacationstogo.com or www.cruises.com. Different cruise lines aim at different demographic groups- Carnival aims at drinkers who like 'spring break' atmosphere. Holland America, generally middle age to older, more sedate, Celebrity, Princess, NCL, middle aged fairly active, think 'country club' style. Personally, a cruise is a lousy way to get any more than just a scant taste of a locale, so don't think you'll get a 'Hawaii' experience by spending 8 hours on any one of the islands then going back to the ship, dressing for dinner, catching a show and doing the same thing on a different island tomorrow.

Jim

riv1964

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim,
I was thinking the same thing about not getting a real taste of Hawaii. I keep thinking we would be better staying on land, but I think Roger was trying to do something we hadn't done before.
Barb

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
An item you may want to consider is the cruise crew will all be USA citizens because the cruise does not include a non USA port. I have heard (but not experienced) that foreign based crews work harder than USA based crews .and this may impact how you experience a first time cruise or a first time visit to Hawaii. I would recommend a Caribbean(on RCCL), Mexican(on Princess) or Alaska(on NCL) cruise would be a better first time experience and to save Hawaii for future land visits as you can easily spend a week each on Maui, Oahu, Kauai, or the Big Island.

YMMV

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Planning a great cruise for 2021, yes 2021. Already have 4 cabins booked. So far it's all women but men are welcome. The Sky Princess is a new ship whose maiden voyage will be later this year. I have sailed the Caribbean several times but this one is all ports that I have not visited except for St. Thomas. Come party with us!
10 DAY PRINCESS CARIBBEAN CRUISE
MARCH 20-MARCH 30, 2021
SKY PRINCESS
Itinerary –
3/20 – Ft. Lauderdale
3/21 – At Sea
3/22 – Amber Cove, Dom Rep (Private Island)
3/23 – St. Thomas
3/24 – Dominica
3/25 – Grenada
3/26 – Bonaire
3/27 – Curacao
3/28 – At Sea
3/29 – At Sea
3/30 – Ft. Lauderdale
Pricing – Includes taxes & Port Fees
Balcony, Cat BD - $2094/pp, Deposit - $390/cabin
Mini Suite, Cat MC - $2494/pp, Deposit - $470/cabin
Previous Princess cruisers will also get $50/pp off the price.
Deposits are fully refundable. Additional prices on request
$50 OBC/per cabin, priority check-in & complimentary specialty dining plus an additional amenity based on # of cabins from AAA. Current Princess promo provides $250/pp OBC for balcony & above if booked before promo ends which is currently 9/3 but may end earlier.
Contact – Stephane Wise, AAA Travel, 843-815-3775 Ext: 15901 or sxwise@aaacarolinas.com. Refer to Hart Group.

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
Planning a great cruise for 2021, yes 2021. Already have 4

Looks like a fun cruise and by booking this far out you can get some great prices. I hope you can attract some of the former Cruising Tugers. Enjoy

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alaska land tour/cruise - June 2020 - The Royal Princess. First time cruising the Princess line and Alaska.

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just completed a Princess Coral Alaska/land tour cruise this past Saturday and really enjoyed it. Tour guide we had in Denali said June was the best month but we had no problems with August (although Denali was mid 40's and raining). We would sign up for the cruise you posted but already have a 14 day England bus tour scheduled for June. Hope you get some CT's to join you. Have fun.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just completed a Princess Coral Alaska/land tour cruise this past Saturday and really enjoyed it. Tour guide we had in Denali said June was the best month but we had no problems with August (although Denali was mid 40's and raining). We would sign up for the cruise you posted but already have a 14 day England bus tour scheduled for June. Hope you get some CT's to join you. Have fun.

Thank you. So far two couples :)

The more, the merrier :)

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
We did the Alaska land/cruise on the Coral also but in May. The weather was terrific. Every place we went locals were telling us that the weather is not usually that warm. We loved it.

dandjane1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Walk (Platinum UDI) Wyndham Access (Platinum trust), Wyndham National Harbor (Platinum UDI), HGVC Deed at Kingsland, HI, HGV Max (Premiere Plus) Trust
Anybody out there up for a Mediterranean Cruise? If so, have I got a deal for you.

Many of you are aware of a group of TUGgers that are part of a Yahoo group known as the Cruising TUGgers. Back in 2004 a few TUGgers got together and organized the 1st TUG Cruise. We embarked on our sail of the Western Caribbean on Jan 23rd, 2005 and have since had two other cruises.

Our 4th cruise will set sail on Sunday June 13th, 2010 and will be a seven day cruise of the Western Mediterranean. If this sounds like something you would be interested in, more info is available at the Yahoo group Cruising TUGgers website. This is a restricted group(to avoid spammers) but, if you are currently not a member all you have to do click "Join this Group" button in the upper right, follow the instructions, and a moderator will authorize you for membership. Once there, you can view recent messages etc. On the left hand side is a list of resources; the 'files' link takes you to a page that has more specific info on the cruise.

There is also a "Roll Call" thread started on Cruise Critic's website with more info that is specific to this sailing.

PLEASE NOTE:
TUG is not sponsoring, hosting or sanctioning the cruise and is not responsible for any aspect of the cruise. Those who sign up for the cruise do so with full knowledge that the only aspect that is different from making their own individual cruise arrangements is the opportunity for possible special pricing and/or on board benefits that might not otherwise be readily available. None of the organizers of this group will receive any cruise benefits or cabin discounts not otherwise available to all other 'Cruising with the TUGgers' group participants.
I note that this thread is over 10 years old. Does it still function?
Wish I had found this earlier, as we just completed (15 Dec. 2019) a 14-day
East, then West Caribbean cruise on Holland-America's newest ship,
the "Nieuw Statendam".

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I note that this thread is over 10 years old. Does it still function?
Probably not at the level it did when it was started, as the organizing travel agent has passed (R.I.P, KathyQ) and many of the cruising participants are either not cruising as much or are finding like-minded folks on Cruise Critic to get together with.
We just returned from Japan/Taiwan/China on Celebrity Millie, and have 3 more Celebrity cruises planned in 2020.

Jim

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
As Jim said some cruisers are still cruising. For us a Princess Cruise/Tour this past August, and upcoming RC 11 day Caribbean in January and a 10 day Princess Baja Peninsula & Sea of Cortez next December. Looking at March 2022 Buenos Aires to Ft Lauderdale when it comes out.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at March 2022 Buenos Aires to Ft Lauderdale when it comes out.
We did Ft. Lauderdale trans Canal to Santiago a couple years ago that may have been one of my favorite cruises. Enjoy! In Nov. we will be on a T/A Barca to Buenos Aires. Looking forward to it.

ScottRW

Reaction score
I love to go on cruise through all the Atlantic ocean, staying on Hawaii, and going back...

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably not at the level it did when it was started, as the organizing travel agent has passed (R.I.P, KathyQ) and many of the cruising participants are either not cruising as much or are finding like-minded folks on Cruise Critic to get together with.
We just returned from Japan/Taiwan/China on Celebrity Millie, and have 3 more Celebrity cruises planned in 2020.

Jim
Happened upon this and realized you 'got out of town and off the ship' just in time.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happened upon this and realized you 'got out of town and off the ship' just in time.
That fact is not lost on me. And now we have 2 on deck in Italy this Summer. Feeling a little 'iffy' on it. Fingers crossed.